Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, 10cc Syringe, Aquarium Heater, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Perlite, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinecoop
The Rookie

Questions for my first attempt of home cultivation....
    #2256344 - 01/20/04 04:22 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

OK...after a friend accomplished this task, in which I benefited from his work, I thought about trying my hand at it.  I've done a lot of reading on this website and others, and I've decided to use the PF Tek exactly at www.fungifun.org.

I have two syringes of Psilocybe Cubensis spores on the way.  I plan on following the recipe completely for 6 jars, yet I do have a couple of questions.

I do not own a pressure cooker, and I read in the directions that it isn't necessary.  I have a large pot with lid (8 quarts I believe) that can be substituted instead.  Is this a good idea to try this??  I have a gas powered stove and I don't have a wire basket, and I don't want my jars to break during the process.  Any advice??

Also, I was curious if anyone could give me their best ideas for creating an inexpensive but effective casing for the cakes??  Preferably one that could hold no more than about 4-6 cakes.  Thanks for all of the help!!  :thumbup:

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineJetBlackNinja
Pimp-o-licious
Loc: $%^&
Re: Questions for my first attempt of home cultivation.... [Re: coop]
    #2256363 - 01/20/04 04:30 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

First of all your syringes will probably be about 10CC, so it's a better idea to do 10 jars from each syringe. That way if 5 get contams, you still have 5 to print from.

You can put an upside down pan inside your large pan, that helped me elevate the jars off the water, then use a soaking rag to keep the jars from contacting anything too hot.

As far as a casing, use the 60/40, or straight Coir. They seem to be the most popular methods currently, and as such, more people will have advice when you need it.

--------------------

Offlinealienated
contaminationgrower

Loc: kali-forn-I-A
    #2256393 - 01/20/04 04:37 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

for the breaking of the jars, i'd suggest, like jetblackninja said, put down a wash cloth on the bottom of the pan and set your jars on top of that.

as for what ninja said about using 1cc per jar, i personally use about 3-5cc per jar, mainly because i make my own syringes and i dont like waiting for them to start growing. more solution per jar = faster grow time.

as for casing, some people case w/ just straight verm. that would probably be your cheapest way considering you most likely will have some extra verm left over from starting out the PF Tek jars. You can head over to safeway, or whatever grocery stores you have in your area and pick up some disposable aluminum (sp?) containers. anyways, gluck bro.

pz

--------------------
-m.

I dont even grow these things... I just post for this guy that knows a guy, who's sisters boyfriend dumped about 2 months ago.

Invisiblesimplemachine
Manfly
Male User Gallery

#2256620 - 01/20/04 05:33 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

casing with coir or 60/40 in aluminium baking pans is your best idea!

Steaming jars is fine as long as your not using whole grains.

--------------------

Offlinecoop
The Rookie

Re: Questions for my first attempt of home cultivation.... [Re: simplemachine]
    #2256747 - 01/20/04 06:30 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Thank you guys for the advice. My pan won't fit inside my big pot, so I could put the pot inside of the pan. There would be about an inch and a half empty space between the two. Maybe I could fill the pan with water and the place a wet rag in the pot with the jars on top of it (I guess that's similar to double boiling). Do you think that would be feasible?? If so, how long should I steam the jars??

Also, I think I didn't explain myself enough with the casing. I understand to use verm or coir, or a mix, but what should I put each cake in?? Is that what you are referring to when you say to use the aluminum foil pans covered in verm/coir?? I would like to have some sort of inexpensive, home-made terrarium, something like how some people have rubbermade containers or plastic garbage containers with a trash bag overtop. Any suggestions for a first time grower??

Sorry to have these type of questions, but I'm a perfectionist and I want to do this right the first time. I think I everything down in my head besides finding the best route for putting the cakes in something to fruit. Thanks again!!

--------------------

Invisiblesimplemachine
Manfly
Male User Gallery

#2256758 - 01/20/04 06:37 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

put jars on the bottom of a big pot and fill about 2-3 inches with water and LOW boil for 90 min. this works great.

to case a cake...dump it into a ziplock, break up the cake through the ziplock, or sterilize a fork and fork it up good. this can be mixed per rez effect or dumped into a container(al baking pan 93 cents for 3). Place this in your clear terrarium on top of moist perlite. fan often. thats about as simple as it gets.

--------------------

Offlinecoop
The Rookie

#2256781 - 01/20/04 06:45 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Ok...so, once the jar is completely white (caked), I turn the jar upside down into a sterile ziplock bag, then break it up finely inside the ziplock, then pour the contents into an aluminum baking pan?? What needs to be inside the aluminum pan??...perlite?? Also, when I put these pans inside a terrarium, I leave them in the pans correct?? I think I'm just a bit confused because the Tek I was reading takes the cakes straight from the jar, as they are in shape, and puts them inside a container on top of perlite.

Do you have any suggestions on making an effective home terrarium?? Thanks again!!

--------------------

Invisiblesimplemachine
Manfly
Male User Gallery

#2256821 - 01/20/04 06:56 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Ok...so, once the jar is completely white (caked), I turn the jar upside down into a sterile ziplock bag, then break it up finely inside the ziplock, then pour the contents into an aluminum baking pan??

yes.

Quote:

What needs to be inside the aluminum pan??...perlite??

nothing. some ppl put in a bottom layer of verm or perlite to soak up xtra water, but I do not advise this. Just put some nice holes in the pan for drainage. Xtra water will drain into the perlite in your terrarium.

Quote:

Also, when I put these pans inside a terrarium, I leave them in the pans correct?

yes!

Quote:

I think I'm just a bit confused because the Tek I was reading takes the cakes straight from the jar, as they are in shape, and puts them inside a container on top of perlite.

YES! that is the pf tek it works, but it works 1000 times better if you grow pf cakes (verm and flour) and crumble case them like I said.

Quote:

Do you have any suggestions on making an effective home terrarium??

Any CLEAR plastic storage bin with a good lid will work fine. fill the bottom with 2-3 inches of moist perlite, and fan or hook up to a fish pump.

--------------------

Offlinecoop
The Rookie

#2256851 - 01/20/04 07:04 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

AWESOME!!...thank you, you have been a tremendous help!! When my syringes come in, I do plan on doing the verm and brown rice flour. ONE MORE QUESTION THOUGH...lol!! With regards to the terrarium, once my pans are inside of it, do I need to ever add water or do I just need to fan them a few times a day?? I'm going to head to Home Depot to pick some things up, including a rubbermade clear container with lid. How tall should this container be in your opinion. Thanks again!!

--------------------

Invisiblesimplemachine
Manfly
Male User Gallery

#2256872 - 01/20/04 07:09 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

well when you make your casing mist the hell out of it then incubate at 85 till the myc breaks the surface than into the terrarium. (I forgot that part b4) now mist it again well when you put it into the terrarium and mist the hell out of it after each flush. that should keep the whole deal wet enough! Container  should be apx 1.5' - 2' high.

--------------------

Offlinecoop
The Rookie

#2256949 - 01/20/04 07:30 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Ok...now I'm a bit confused again.  You say once I make my casing, mist the hell out of it.  Do you mean when I dump the cakes into the ziplock bag, break them up, and pour into an aluminum pan...what's in the pan is considered my casing or the pan itself needs to be misted??

Furthermore, when I break the cake up in a ziplock bag, do I need one pan per jar or can I use mulitple jars in one pan??

Also, in reference to the incubation stage.  Once the jars are taken out of the pot and have cooled off, what's the best way to incubate them??  I don't have some high tech warmer or anything, so what's an alternative??  Can I keep the jars wrapped up in blankets or something in warm place??

Thanks again....I'm heading to shop in a bit so hopefully you can help in time :smile:

--------------------

Invisiblesimplemachine
Manfly
Male User Gallery

#2257047 - 01/20/04 08:05 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

dump the substrate into a dry pan. cover in coir. this is the casing layer. its what makes it a casing.:)

use 2-3 jars depending on the size of the pan. 3-4 inches of substrate is plenty. the casing layer should be 1/4 inch for every inch of substrate. The casing layer is misted well to hydrate the myc under it. it is not good to spray the pins, so don't do it while mushrooms are growing, just between flushes.

colonizing jars should be kept at 86F, or colonization will be slow. Most ppl would suggest you build a "tub-in-tub" style incubator. do a search for this on the boards and you will find all you need. blankets in a warm place is fine if you don't mind waiting a few xtra weeks to colonize.

--------------------

OfflineLateForTheFuture
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

#2257055 - 01/20/04 08:10 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Do you mean when I dump the cakes into the ziplock bag, break them up, and pour into an aluminum pan...what's in the pan is considered my casing or the pan itself needs to be misted??

Your casing is a combination of the crumbled PF cakes and the casing layer, which is what you would be misting, not the actual pan that the casing sits in.

Quote:

Furthermore, when I break the cake up in a ziplock bag, do I need one pan per jar or can I use mulitple jars in one pan??

Sure can. I do about 6 jars for my bulk substrates (which is 3 quarts). It all depends on how big your pan you're using to put the casing in is. I reccomend using 5 or 6 jars in a kitty litter bin, cased with 60/40 coir/verm... you can see the results that gave me by my avatar, as thats exactly what I did my first go arounds (although now I spawn to poo).

Quote:

Also, in reference to the incubation stage. Once the jars are taken out of the pot and have cooled off, what's the best way to incubate them?? I don't have some high tech warmer or anything, so what's an alternative?? Can I keep the jars wrapped up in blankets or something in warm place??

If you're not planning on building an incubator (I highly reccomend you should, especially if you plan on doing casings.. they're cheap and easy.) then blankets and darkness will suffice, it will just create slower colonization rates which could lead to higher chances of cantam, which you dont want on your first go arounds. There is an easy incubator setup on the http://fungifun.org website, go ahead and give it a try, all you have to have is a fishtank heater and 2 31gal rubbermaid bins. Glad you're giving this hobby a try, I think you'll like it alot - I know I love it.

--------------------

OfflineParanoidSchizoid
Fun Guy With TheFungi
    #2257117 - 01/20/04 08:25 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

coop said:
Also, in reference to the incubation stage.  Once the jars are taken out of the pot and have cooled off, what's the best way to incubate them??  I don't have some high tech warmer or anything, so what's an alternative??  Can I keep the jars wrapped up in blankets or something in warm place??

I just sit mine on top of my computer case. It's inside a cabinet with a large opening in the rear and it keeps them nice and warm.  It may not be the most sterile place but the tyvek makes that problem.....well, not a problem. :thumbup:

--------------------
Growing conspiracy
Everyone's after me
Frayed ends of sanity
Hear them calling
Hear them calling me

OfflineTheJakeyl88
RememberInfinity.
Male
    #2257330 - 01/20/04 09:26 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Well, I am waiting for my syringes too. I've been gathering the supplies since ordering the syringes. I bought 2 transparent rubbermaid bins, a digital thermometer, and a small aquarium heater for my incubator. I filled one bin w/ about 3-4 inches of water, put the heater in the water, then the other bin into the water of the first bin. That way the water heats the bin where your casings will be. Also added a nice thick layer of perlite to keep the humidity up. All in all, I spent about 25 for this little set up.

Invisiblesimplemachine
Manfly
Male User Gallery

Re: Questions for my first attempt of home cultivation.... [Re: TheJakeyl88]
    #2257356 - 01/20/04 09:32 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Well, I am waiting for my syringes too. I've been gathering the supplies since ordering the syringes. I bought 2 transparent rubbermaid bins, a digital thermometer, and a small aquarium heater for my incubator. I filled one bin w/ about 3-4 inches of water, put the heater in the water, then the other bin into the water of the first bin. That way the water heats the bin where your casings will be. Also added a nice thick layer of perlite to keep the humidity up. All in all, I spent about 25 for this little set up.

sounds like your confusing the incubator and the terrarium. The incubator does not need humidification and should be at 85F to colonize the jars. AFTER this you put the cakes/casings into a terrarium that has >80% humidity and 75F with several air xchanges per day. Unless your house is really cold you can fruit without added heat. 70-80F is fine for fruiting.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, 10cc Syringe, Aquarium Heater, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Perlite, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation