Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleJenny
part of thewhole
Male User Gallery

Loc: Columbus, OHIO
Vanilla Sky *SPOILER*
    #2256079 - 01/20/04 02:41 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I didn't catch the last 15 minutes of this movie and was wondering if someone would explain to me what happens at the end, was he dreaming the whole time about penelope cruise or was it real? How did he end up in jail?
If you know the answer but haven't seen the movie for a while, heres a brief summary of it.

During the week he turns 33, NYC magazine publisher David Aames, a playboy who has strange dreams, spends a night of passion with Julie, "a friend he sometimes sleeps with," and a night with Sofia, a witty, knowing dancer with a Spanish accent - a night with intimations of love. David is charming, rich (his mother's Monet, "Vanilla Sky" is in his bedroom), and feckless: he inherited the magazines and his minority partners want him out. Jump ahead: he's in jail, wearing a prosthetic mask, talking to a sympathetic psychologist to get at the truth behind a death. Who has died? How? And who's Ellie? Popping up often on TV is Benny, a dog who survived for months frozen in ice.

--------------------

Mindfulness is the aware, balanced acceptance of the present experience.
It isn't more complicated than that.
It is opening to or recieving the present moment, pleasant or unpleasant, just as it is,
without either clinging to it or rejecting it.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinemanna_man
High onlife.....andcrack

Loc: Vancouver
Re: Vanilla Sky *SPOILER* [Re: Jenny]
    #2256131 - 01/20/04 03:00 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

You missed the last 15 minutes? Oh my. You missed pretty much the entire movie right there.

There are so many interpretations to the story.  David began his Lucid Dream after the night at the nightclub, where he passes out on the street. Then when he awakes in the morning, penelope is there to take him in. Everything from up until then was reality.
In his dream, or nightmare, he ended up in jail because he killed Sophia. However David thought that he was set up by the board in an attempt for them to gain control of his company.

Jesus, You know what? Im just gonna stop right now. You really should watch the last 15 minutes to have any understanding at all about this movie. It would take much typing to explain what goes on in that elevator at the end.  Go out and rent it and see for yourself! It's really a good movie when it all comes together. :laugh:

--------------------
This post is protected under copyrite law.All above content is strictly the property of ?manna_man.Any infringement of copyright property is strictly prohibited.Any violators will be stretched, shot, and then vaporized into a state of anti-matter, where they will cease to exist.

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels Flag
    #2256138 - 01/20/04 03:03 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I'll do my best, but it has been a while:

Quick break-down:

He was in that car crash and got all mangled up, while still in love with Cruz. Of course, he's also turned a bit psychotic as he can't rely on his usual lifestyle to get him the things he wants. This culminates at the night-time street scene after he met up with Cruz and his best bud at the bar where he was wearing that facial mask.

The morning after he wakes up on the street, he goes into a business (I believe it was called LE, for Life Extensions) and they offer him a "Lucid Dream" package, where he can be put unconscious and frozen so that they can awaken him in the future to fix his mangled face. The Lucid Dream portion of the package allows him to chose a "splice" point where they stop the memories from his original life and begin the lucid dream, a life where he is the creator of everything he experiences. That splice point was that morning on the sidewalk, where you see Cruz reuniting with him.. when in fact he never saw Cruz again.

Unfortunately, things go wrong and it turns into a very bad dream in which he isn't quite lucid - which is why he ends up freaking out and seeing people where he should've seen someone else. So he didn't really kill anyone, that part was just a bad dream so to speak. It ends with Tech Support explaining all this to him in his dream on an elevator ride to a roof top. Once at the top, the tech support dude gives him the option to continue his dream now that it's back under control or to wake up and experience the real world. He opts for the later by jumping off the side of the roof-top, to which the scene displayed suddenly turns to a overhead camera shot zoomed in on an opening eye and the phrase, "Open your eyes."

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

Offlinemanna_man
High onlife.....andcrack

Loc: Vancouver
    #2256140 - 01/20/04 03:06 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

You missed the last 15 minutes? Oh my. You missed pretty much the entire movie right there.

There are so many interpretations to the story. David began his Lucid Dream after the night at the nightclub, where he passes out on the street. Then when he awakes in the morning, penelope is there to take him in. Everything from up until then was reality.
In his dream, or nightmare, he ended up in jail because he killed Sophia. However David thought that he was set up by the board in an attempt for them to gain control of his company.

Jesus, you really should watch the last 15 minutes to have any understanding at all about this movie.

--------------------
This post is protected under copyrite law.All above content is strictly the property of ?manna_man.Any infringement of copyright property is strictly prohibited.Any violators will be stretched, shot, and then vaporized into a state of anti-matter, where they will cease to exist.

InvisibleJenny
part of thewhole
Male User Gallery

Loc: Columbus, OHIO
Re: Vanilla Sky *SPOILER* [Re: geokills]
    #2256156 - 01/20/04 03:13 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

very good explanation! thanks for clearing that up.

--------------------

Mindfulness is the aware, balanced acceptance of the present experience.
It isn't more complicated than that.
It is opening to or recieving the present moment, pleasant or unpleasant, just as it is,
without either clinging to it or rejecting it.

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: Vanilla Sky *SPOILER* [Re: manna_man]
    #2256158 - 01/20/04 03:15 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

i simply can't comprehend watching that movie and missing the last minutes. wtf?!!? geez, i had to watch the whole movie 3 times before i had it 100% figured out.

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels Flag
Re: Vanilla Sky *SPOILER* [Re: debianlinux]
    #2256508 - 01/20/04 05:05 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Hehe, yea I had to watch it a second time to fit all the pieces together. 

FYI Jenny, the tech support guy at the end is the same character who he met in one or two other scenes prior (I believe one was in a restaurant or bar); so they were trying to help him get his dream back on track but he wouldn't have it.  The reason why Tech Support finally met him at the end is because he did some investigating to find the Life Extensions company in his dream and he finally realized that he had signed up for their service and then started yellin' like a mad man, "TECH SUPPPORT!... TEEEECH SUPPPPPPORT!!!!... " to which the elevator at the other side of the large room dings and when he walks in is when we see the Tech Support dude.  The elevator ride to the top of the roof takes like 5 minutes, a pretty cool scene -- I recommend you watch the movie again, preferably under the influence :spliff:

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
Re: Vanilla Sky *SPOILER* [Re: geokills]
    #2256547 - 01/20/04 05:16 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

The last 15 minutes of this movie were so artfully and meaningfully assembled, it's really a shame to just ask someone else how it ends, you should see it.

InvisibleJonnyOnTheSpot
Sober Surfer
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Carolina
    #2256691 - 01/20/04 06:06 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

TECH SUPPORT!!!!!!

:lol:

InvisibleMiddlemanM
melomaniac

Re: Vanilla Sky *SPOILER* [Re: JonnyOnTheSpot]
    #2256944 - 01/20/04 07:28 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

LOL i just dumped that soundbite into my sampler.

yeah i agree with JC, you should see it.
i still haven't seen LOTR3 or Matrix3,
and i don't want to know what happens till i do.

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: Vanilla Sky *SPOILER* [Re: Middleman]
    #2259147 - 01/21/04 09:57 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

well, imma spoil it for ya!
LOTR3 whips ass
Matrix3 sucks ass

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media