Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
A question regarding colonization speed
    #2255114 - 01/20/04 06:09 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I recently innoculated several glasses (7/10 pint) full of birdseed (hydrated with tap water), I used no filter, I used no vermiculite barrier, I shook only when innoculating. My tops were pieces of foil, loosely wrapped on top.  Standard preparation of seed was carried out, boiling for about 45 mins, straining and then PC'ing at 15 psi.  Each jar received a maximum of approximately 1.2cc's total, I used 5 innoculation points.

After that seemingly standard, even slightly low quality attempt I began seeing contamination setting in when I looked at them only a day or so later.  Seemed to me like the only thing it could be was cobweb mold, it still looked quite white though.. however, I was close to throwing the jars out straight away but decided to keep them just a little longer. 

At about 3 days the contamination had virtually taken over one of the jars (in particular), I opened it up and took a whiff.  No bad smell i thought.  It had by then colonised the top completely.  The growth was cottony.

On Day 5, I finally had to admit that what I had was atleast 3 jars, fully colonised with rabid mycelium.  Unbelievable.  I opened one up and took a nice hearty whiff of pure mycellium.  By day 7, 5 were fully colonised.  3 others were quickly catching up.

My question is, is this the sort of level of freaky fast?  If it is sufficient to garner interest I will possibly carry out a grow log to see if I can recreate it.  Judging by the germination points I would have to say that shaking after innoculation had a massive, massive effect.  There was growth everywhere very early.

For interests sake they are either huautla or ecuadors, I can't exactly remember and I did not label :frown:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Male User Gallery

Re: A question regarding colonization speed [Re: utopianglory]
    #2255127 - 01/20/04 06:27 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

thats the shit! not unheard of for wbs, but very nice. high air xchange due to loose foil lids sounds like a big factor, and EQ is a very agressive colonizer! put it together and bam!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation