Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: buy cannabis seeds

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineHaoma
immortal
Martin to continue plan to decriminalize pot
    #2254586 - 01/20/04 12:31 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Not sure if this was posted or not.....

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1071789437097_67198637//

Martin to continue plan to decriminalize pot

CTV.ca News Staff

Prime Minister Paul Martin tackled a wide range of issues in a series of year end interviews Thursday, including his plan to push ahead with legislation decriminalizing small amounts of marijuana.

Martin faced a question that seems to have become de rigueur for politicians: Have you ever smoked up?

"The answer is: I never smoked. I never smoked anything, but there was an earlier time, years ago, when Sheila made some brownies and they did have a strange taste," he said.

It turns out Martin and his wife Sheila tried hash brownies in Montreal during the 60s.

Almost four decades later the prime minister has confirmed his support for decriminalizing possession of small amounts of marijuana, adding he won't be swayed by U.S. complaints.

"Canada will make its own decisions based on our values."

But, Martin said earlier he would like to see a new definition of what constitutes "small amounts" and invited a parliamentary committee to consider lowering the limit from the proposed 15 grams.

The bill brought in under Chretien, which died on the House of Commons order paper last month, will be reintroduced when MPs return to work in the new year, Martin said.

He then offered suggestions for fine tuning the bill before it becomes law.

"I think that one's got to take a look at the fines. I think that you have to take a look at the quantities, and I think that there has to be a larger effort against the grow-ops and against those who distribute."

The bill tabled last spring by then-justice minister Martin Cauchon did not propose outright legalization of marijuana. But it made simple possession a minor offence, punishable by a range of fines.

Other topics that came up in Martin's first marathon round of year-end interviews were plans to beef up Canada's military and his legendary temper.

He denied moves to focus on security issues were aimed at appeasing Washington.

"We are not doing this to please the Americans.

Canadians are entitled to know their country is capable of defending them and protecting them," he said.

Martin also acknowledged his infamous temper and admitted to blowing up in arguments with aides.

"People come at me pretty hard and I go back and at the end you forget about it. You go off and have a beer."

The annual Conversation with the Prime Minister is a 37-year Christmas tradition for CTV and Canadians.

This year the entire interview with Prime Minister Martin can be seen on CTV on Sunday, December 28.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineHaoma
immortal
Re: Martin to continue plan to decriminalize pot [Re: Haoma]
    #2254606 - 01/20/04 12:37 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

"Martin faced a question that seems to have become de rigueur for politicians: Have you ever smoked up?

"The answer is: I never smoked. I never smoked anything, but there was an earlier time, years ago, when Sheila made some brownies and they did have a strange taste," he said.

It turns out Martin and his wife Sheila tried hash brownies in Montreal during the 60s."

LOL

OfflineHaoma
immortal
    #2254643 - 01/20/04 12:54 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

It's one of his priorities now also:

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1073490241678_89//

"Prime Minister Paul Martin has recalled Parliament for Feb. 2, with a Throne Speech to be delivered in the afternoon outlining an "ambitious" agenda

Martin made the announcement Wednesday during a break in two days of caucus meetings in Ottawa. He also outlined the legislation his government intends to bring back to Parliament.

He said his priorities include:

-creating an independent ethics commissioner;
-creating a new electoral map that would add seven seats to the House of Commons;
-modifying a law on patents allowing for cheaper generic AIDS drugs for Africa; and
-reintroducing a bill to decriminalize marijuana.

Martin dismissed suggestions from reporters that he plans to scrap the gun registry."

Offlinepattern
multiplayer

Loc: Canada
    #2256056 - 01/20/04 02:34 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Martin is turning out to be a better guy than I expected :thumbup:

--------------------
man = monkey + mushroom

OfflineHaoma
immortal
Re: Martin to continue plan to decriminalize pot [Re: pattern]
    #2258000 - 01/21/04 12:20 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Agreed. Hopefully he stick with his priorities. I'm glad he is not pro-drug war, like bush.

Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

Loc: sailing the seas of chees...
    #2261135 - 01/21/04 10:53 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

excellent news! looks like there still is hope on the horizon  :sun:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: buy cannabis seeds

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service