Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

Id request: alleged birch polypore
    #22541454 - 11/18/15 11:28 AM (8 years, 4 months ago)

Hoping this is Piptoporus betulinas. Didn't pay attention to the kind of tree it was on but I could always go back. Most fruits were up in the air (you know, on a vertical tree) but the one I took cap pictures of was growing on a log on the ground

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDuggstarMDiscord
 User Gallery

Loc: Ireland
Trusted Identifier
Re: Id request: alleged birch polypore [Re: Psilosopherr]
    #22541494 - 11/18/15 11:38 AM (8 years, 4 months ago)

That's what I'd call it.

OfflineMrcloudy
Stranger than you.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Northeast US Flag
Trusted Identifier
Re: Id request: alleged birch polypore [Re: Duggstar]
    #22541509 - 11/18/15 11:44 AM (8 years, 4 months ago)

Piptoporus betulinus :thumbup:

--------------------

10 different Ganoderma species from across the USA

AMU

MrCloudys guide to North American GanodermaUpdated A rough guide to North American Ganoderma species, with an emphasis on the laccate species.

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

Re: Id request: alleged birch polypore [Re: Mrcloudy]
    #22541644 - 11/18/15 12:21 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

many thanks cloudy!

I'm considering sawing off half of one for tea making, 'mycelium running' claims it has a few medicinal properties.

wonder if tincture would be better.

Edited by Psilosopherr (11/18/15 01:09 PM)

OfflineVedicSoma
 User Gallery
Loc: midwest
    #22542202 - 11/18/15 03:03 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

Make tea first, then make tincture second

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

Re: Id request: alleged birch polypore [Re: VedicSoma]
    #22542655 - 11/18/15 04:16 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

Everclear isn't legal in my state I don't think. hopefully lower proofs work okay

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

#22542694 - 11/18/15 04:20 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

Well I harvest one half of a birch polypore and one half of what I think is an artists conk

Any advice on storage/drying? I'm sure common sense will guide me well but figured I'd ask.

InvisibleCharlesBruce
 User Gallery

Loc: Wales, Great Britain Flag
    #22542959 - 11/18/15 05:19 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

These things are everywhere where I live, are they really medicinal? I guess I'll have to gather a few and try it out.

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

Re: Id request: alleged birch polypore [Re: CharlesBruce]
    #22543160 - 11/18/15 06:17 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

oh and the pores were visible with the naked eye, though they are small. that mean anything? I was reading one write-up about the species that claimed the pores required a magnifying glass to see.

OfflineVedicSoma
 User Gallery
Loc: midwest
    #22543983 - 11/18/15 08:39 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

I have really been getting into polypores lately.

Turkey tail
Reishi
artists conk
violet tooth polypore
false turkey tail
cracked cap polypore
mazegills
Lenzites betulina

They all are medicinal, with different effects.  Most are really good for you.

google them, and then get started.  You will feel great!

OfflineAstaCrazyBull
Tatored
Male User Gallery

Loc: What's it Tahuya?
Re: Id request: alleged birch polypore [Re: VedicSoma]
    #22544564 - 11/18/15 10:53 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

VS point taken.

--------------------
The Great Spirit gave me permission to use all things that bear seed for my use. I personally choose non-toxic organic compounds and a couple fermentables.

Cyan time lapse youtube link. https://youtube.com/watch?v=gtgr2SGHxog

OfflineMrcloudy
Stranger than you.
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #22544646 - 11/18/15 11:13 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

rbalzer said:
oh and the pores were visible with the naked eye, though they are small. that mean anything? I was reading one write-up about the species that claimed the pores required a magnifying glass to see.

Nah that's not particularly important, you have Piptoporus betulinus for sure.  The pores are small but the ones I find have visible pores.

--------------------

AMU

MrCloudys guide to North American GanodermaUpdated A rough guide to North American Ganoderma species, with an emphasis on the laccate species.

OfflineMrcloudy
Stranger than you.
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #22544651 - 11/18/15 11:14 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

There is also a Fomes species in one of the photos.

--------------------

AMU

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

#22545173 - 11/19/15 03:52 AM (8 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Mrcloudy said:
Quote:

rbalzer said:

Nah that's not particularly important, you have Piptoporus betulinus for sure.  The pores are small but the ones I find have visible pores.

:hatsoff:

Quote:

Mrcloudy said:
There is also a Fomes species in one of the photos.

Oh yeah, I suppose I've been ignoring the ones I don't know much about. The ones shaped like hooves and such

InvisibleThayendanegea
quiet walker
Male User Gallery

Loc: 7 Lodges Nation Flag
    #22545611 - 11/19/15 08:24 AM (8 years, 4 months ago)

The birch polypore, when still fresh and soft can be used as a makeshift wilderness bandaid. It has analgesic properties. Just cut into thin strips and butterfly them...they kind of stick to themselves. I'm not sure about other properties though. I use the chaga conk for my tinctures..this also grows on birch in the northern areas of the country. I have been taking this tincture..using forresters double extraction tek as well as reishi for 2 years now to treat my RA.I am off the fucked up chemo medication they were giving me and haven't been sick once in 2 years....Before this, I was on antibiotics all winter for upper respiratory infections.

Chaga also has great cancer fighting qualities as well as it's immune stabilizer abilities. The key is to keep taking it every day 2 droppersfull 3 or 4 times a day. Keep it up...I use 150 proof everclear for my extractions which is the highest alcohol content(75%) I can buy in my state....works fine.

This stuff really does work...I still deal with some joint stuff but nothing like it used to be.:sunny::peace:

--------------------
Look Deep Into Nature,and Then You Will Understand Everything Better.

Albert Einstein

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

Re: Id request: alleged birch polypore [Re: Thayendanegea]
    #22561457 - 11/22/15 09:41 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Thayendanegea said:
The birch polypore, when still fresh and soft can be used as a makeshift wilderness bandaid. It has analgesic properties. Just cut into thin strips and butterfly them...they kind of stick to themselves. I'm not sure about other properties though. I use the chaga conk for my tinctures..this also grows on birch in the northern areas of the country. I have been taking this tincture..using forresters double extraction tek as well as reishi for 2 years now to treat my RA.I am off the fucked up chemo medication they were giving me and haven't been sick once in 2 years....Before this, I was on antibiotics all winter for upper respiratory infections.

Chaga also has great cancer fighting qualities as well as it's immune stabilizer abilities. The key is to keep taking it every day 2 droppersfull 3 or 4 times a day. Keep it up...I use 150 proof everclear for my extractions which is the highest alcohol content(75%) I can buy in my state....works fine.

This stuff really does work...I still deal with some joint stuff but nothing like it used to be.:sunny::peace:

I'll have to look up foresters double extraction tek since I'm just going on instinct at times here.

My main question now is: What time of year do these things die? Probably winter right? Well winter is right around the corner in my area and I'm wondering if I should just harvest them all?

I really don't want to harm the mycelium or reduce its ability to fruit the following year. So I'm thinking maybe cut away all the flesh but leave the stump where it connects to the tree?

I actually wouldn't mind try to cultivate these either...but one thing at a time. Unless you guys have suggestions.

InvisibleCharlesBruce
 User Gallery

#22562184 - 11/23/15 05:12 AM (8 years, 4 months ago)

Found this beauty!

They smell very good, like apples. I'm going to cut it up into strips and then dry for preserving. Then it seems the best method is to simmer in a saucepan for 30 mins or so to extract a tea, or does anyone have a better plan?

Quote:

My main question now is: What time of year do these things die? Probably winter right? Well winter is right around the corner in my area and I'm wondering if I should just harvest them all?

I really don't want to harm the mycelium or reduce its ability to fruit the following year. So I'm thinking maybe cut away all the flesh but leave the stump where it connects to the tree?

I know they can survive for years, but slowly degrading with time so best when fresh. I don't know what effect that will have - just don't be greedy and take loads. Leave most to continue their life cycle because these are very important fungi in the ecosystem. Say if you only take 1/5 of those in an area that shouldn't do any real harm. Also leave the young ones to grow up.

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

Re: Id request: alleged birch polypore [Re: CharlesBruce]
    #22562665 - 11/23/15 09:54 AM (8 years, 4 months ago)

This extraction tek is real simple and allows you to get both kinds of medicinal compounds. http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18845747

This conflicts with what I've read about them. Everybody says they are annual and therefore die every year. The log I found had evidence of this, you could see the fruits of past years still attached higher up, but appearing dead :shrug:

I don't want to overharvest like you said, but if the fruits are just going to die anyway...

InvisibleThayendanegea
quiet walker
Male User Gallery

#22563486 - 11/23/15 01:44 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

The reishi I harvest is usually best around mid summer in Pa. By now, it is old and wormy. I will usually take about half of what is growing off the tree to allow the others to completely drop their spores.

Chaga is a different animal...it is nothing like a usual mushroom type fungi and looks more like  a damaged or even burned tree with a black shiny canker type fungus that takes many years to reach harvestable portions. It will only grow on older paper birch trees.

--------------------

Albert Einstein

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

#22563518 - 11/23/15 01:49 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

I was asking specifically about birch polypores. They're a little different

InvisibleThayendanegea
quiet walker
Male User Gallery

#22563550 - 11/23/15 01:55 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

They grow mostly in the fall, that I have seen...not sure of their medicinal qualities other than as analgesic though. I would pick them now, if you want to do any extractions...don't worry about overharvesting...they grow like crazy in birch forests.

--------------------

Albert Einstein

InvisibleCharlesBruce
 User Gallery

#22563659 - 11/23/15 02:06 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

rbalzer said:
This extraction tek is real simple and allows you to get both kinds of medicinal compounds. http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18845747

This conflicts with what I've read about them. Everybody says they are annual and therefore die every year. The log I found had evidence of this, you could see the fruits of past years still attached higher up, but appearing dead :shrug:

I don't want to overharvest like you said, but if the fruits are just going to die anyway...

Thanks for link. As you said you can see the fruits lingering for years but of course not for using at that point. Some near me are about 3 years old I think.

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

#22563678 - 11/23/15 02:09 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

oh neat I hadn't heard the analgesic bit.

Thanks for the help senor :thumbup:

I'm thinking about taking one of the smaller fallen logs they were growing on back home with me after harvesting. Wanna try to propagate them

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale