Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflinePHARMAKOS
addict
Re: The Mind Body Connection [Re: Phluck]
    #2252442 - 01/19/04 10:21 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Frog : when a movie is 'based on a true story' you can safely assume that it is HEAVILY distorted. ALthough john nash WAS a brilliant mathematician, and DID develop schizophrenia. He also refused medication for along time, thinking he could deal without it. In the end he DID go on medication for the rest of his life and his schizophrenia developed severly due to his long term lack of proper treatment. He did not go back to teaching, in fact at the end he was quite helpless and severly delusional.

Another thing the movie made up: john nashes wife divorced him early in there relationship, and although they continued to live in the same house, he was kept in the basement and she lived in the house above as a kind of nurse, which shows her compassion, but they never had a husband/wife or even lover relationship again. All that drivel at the end about her being his heart and keeping him sane was ficticious as well.

dont cite hollywood movies as some kind of evidence or support. ANy movie that is 'based on' or better yet 'inspired by' a true story is probably 10-30% accurate, if even

sorry to crush that so bad, i thought it was a great movie, but look it up, its not true

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: The Mind Body Connection [Re: Frog]
    #2252448 - 01/19/04 10:25 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
Re: The Mind Body Connection [Re: PHARMAKOS]
    #2252451 - 01/19/04 10:28 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Yes, that hurt, pharmakos. Sigh. But good lesson. Look up the true story on which the movie was based.

But, here's the interesting part...

Since I saw that movie, I've been using my mind to overcome certain aspects of my mind. So I learned something from that movie that works for me. Funny, huh?

If I had thought that that movie was false to begin with, I wouldn't have set out to act on the beliefs I developed as a result.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Re: The Mind Body Connection [Re: ]
    #2252519 - 01/19/04 10:57 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

I specifically prayed for three things. I wrote down the dates of the prayers and specifically those things for which I prayed.

I wrote down the dates that the prayers were answered.

I could see a skeptic saying that those prayer requests would have been achieved anyways, and it was just coincidence that I happened to pray for those things.

Whatever.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Anonymous

Re: The Mind Body Connection [Re: Frog]
    #2252528 - 01/19/04 11:02 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

#2252536 - 01/19/04 11:04 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Yes, and there are times that the prayer requests are not granted, but that doesn't mean that the prayers are unanswered. As you said, "yes", "no", and "not now".

And if the journal is kept for a long enough period of time, one can see a pattern for why a prayer was answered "no" or "not now".

--------------------

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
    #2252842 - 01/19/04 01:32 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #2253157 - 01/19/04 03:09 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

"Part of the problem is that skeptics do not understand what prayer is and why it works when it works. Obviously there are times that prayer doesn't work. And just as obviously there are times when it does. But to truly recognize the correlation you would have to understand the mechanism. They don't."

now HOLD on there for a sec!!!! heh you know me I like to have a couple of key terms defined, this is important to me at least :smile:

prayer:  a spiritual communion with God, or an object of worship, as in adoration, confession, a request, or praise.

hey I'm a skeptic?? arn't you a skeptic?? or are you just referring to those who just think from that limited standpoint?  if so I see what you're saying, if not, aren't we all skeptics??? And if so then from your premise none of us would know.

I always find it funny that when bad things happen, many (including myself) turn to god and pray.  I find it really egotistical actually. The reason I find it this way is that I've known a lot of no religious people be in tight spots and start muttering prayer, sometimes they don't even know it (In the past I was guilty of this one hehe). in this sense, I don't know how prayer would work.

then again what do you mean by prayer working?  If you mean that I feel better after doing it, then sure.  but as far as physical manifestations on this planet, I'm really iffy (or is this not understanding how the mechanism works, that which you referred to).  I won't be closed minded though and say that this is the end all of prayer.  I'm interested in what others have to say about this.

"But to truly recognize the correlation you would have to understand the mechanism. They don't."

would you like to maybe elaborate more on the mechanics of prayer?

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

Anonymous

Re: The Mind Body Connection [Re: kaiowas]
    #2253283 - 01/19/04 03:45 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

#2253316 - 01/19/04 03:57 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I know you are gonna post more but I just have to say this...

evidence: 1) proof; something that makes evident; an indication or a sign. 2) to make evident or clear, manifest

ok so what about synchronicity then.  I've seen poeple use this as evidence (including myself) but isn't that subject to the viewer's opinions?? how is this "proof" then???  hehe fuckin words and their 4-5 different meanings :lol:  sorry I've already said this.....

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

Anonymous

#2253358 - 01/19/04 04:07 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

#2253426 - 01/19/04 04:23 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

the clock is ticking....

I agree with the proof thingy, but I put it there to kinda show how one word has 10,000 meanings. it's been my thing as of late

--------------------

Anonymous

#2253457 - 01/19/04 04:31 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Anonymous

#2253770 - 01/19/04 06:33 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #2253998 - 01/19/04 07:47 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

In order to determine who is praying properly, we first need to figure out whether or not praying works at all.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

#2254174 - 01/19/04 08:29 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

How do you prove whether prayer works?

--------------------

Anonymous

#2254288 - 01/19/04 09:06 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
    #2254311 - 01/19/04 09:13 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

and your repeated statements beg the question:

what is the mechanism of prayer?

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

#2254417 - 01/19/04 09:44 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

You can figure out whether or not it works without understanding the mechanism.

Do you need to understand the inner workings of your computer to figure out if it does what people claim it does?

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

#2254426 - 01/19/04 09:45 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I suppose I should add:
We need to figure out exactly what is expected of prayer before testing it, as well.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next >  [ show all ]

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order