Home | Community | Message Board

SoulSpeciosa Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleRudiger420
Rudiger420
white fuzzy stuff growing inside colonizing jar?!?!
    #2253245 - 01/19/04 05:35 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

For some reason a few of the jars have this white fuzzy stuff growing on the cakes inside the 90% colonized jars. Why is this. I did add extra water when injecting the spores. Maybe too much humidity. What should I do. Also where the cake and the jar is seporating, a light brown color is appearing just where the jar and cakes touch. What is that? mineral in the water? I doesn't look like any contaminate. Thanks Rudiger420

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMex
Mother Earth
Male

Loc: ITA ~ Earth ~ 13:20
Re: white fuzzy stuff growing inside colonizing jar?!?! [Re: Rudiger420]
    #2253267 - 01/19/04 05:42 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I guess you'd better send some pic so we can help you...
what about the smell of your cakes? What about the substrate?
What about the temp / humidity of the incubator?

Yes, pictures would definitely help ;-)

--------------------

InvisibleRudiger420
Rudiger420
    #2253286 - 01/19/04 05:47 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

brf, they'z still in the jars, no fruiting chamber yet. It's just fuzzy white stuff. I don't know

Offlineamyloid
Stranger
    #2253375 - 01/19/04 06:10 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

if its your first cake, i would take a wild guess and say its probably just the mycellium growing differntly then your used to seeing. but then again im talking out of my ass unless i see a pic =(

--------------------
"A human being is part of a whole, called by us the Universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings, as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circles of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."
-Al Einstein

Offlinekindkesey
take it further
 User Gallery

Loc: on the bus!!!
Re: white fuzzy stuff growing inside colonizing jar?!?! [Re: amyloid]
    #2253423 - 01/19/04 06:22 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

If it looks kinda like this?  Your alright!

:smile:

--------------------
Stay Kool, and enjoy the bus ride.....

"Intrepid Search For Innerspace"

DAVID JONES where are you?

OfflineMex
Mother Earth
Male

Loc: ITA ~ Earth ~ 13:20
Re: white fuzzy stuff growing inside colonizing jar?!?! [Re: kindkesey]
    #2253439 - 01/19/04 06:25 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Sooooo alright! 8-)

--------------------

Anonymous

Re: white fuzzy stuff growing inside colonizing jar?!?! [Re: kindkesey]
    #2253866 - 01/19/04 09:06 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

That water looks like mycilium piss and the fuzzies look like hyphal nots no worries but someone else should comferm this. Im pretty sure you are in the clear

InvisibleRudiger420
Rudiger420
    #2272240 - 01/25/04 06:47 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah It does look like that picture. A playdo type white blobs. The brown stuff is speading like nuts. Only where the glass and cake touch but it's all over the jar. It's like spreading. Probably is just mycelium piss or something but I've never heard of a cake doing this. What could this brown stuff be? I think I'm going to put these jars in its own fruiting chamber just incase. I may have use 2 different spores in one jar too. Not sure, I didn't lable them. Thanks for the help Peace Rudiger420

InvisibleRudiger420
Rudiger420
    #2277793 - 01/27/04 03:59 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

bump

Anonymous

#2277805 - 01/27/04 04:03 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

is the brown stuff in the cake or is it watery shit that moves when you move the jar?

InvisibleTheDrugStore

Loc: Hawaii Flag
Re: white fuzzy stuff growing inside colonizing jar?!?! [Re: fee]
    #2278439 - 01/27/04 07:23 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Yea i know exacly what your talking about when you see the brown stuff when the 2 are touching (jar and cake).

I have the same thing. Personally since im a brand new cultavator i have no idea if this is bad or not. I always assumed that its just the brown verm thats in there being pushed up against the glass because of the growth. Really though it doesn't seem to be a problem. We will see though once we birth and fruit them if its acually real contam.

Truly though i dont think it is. One other thing to consider that sorta supports my theory is that you dont see the specific brown spot get bigger. You only see other brown spots apear in different places...right? Well for me thats the case. Usually contamination grows larger because they are a living organism. If the brown spots are a contam they seem to not develope like other contams out there.

Edit
This is from the Contamination FAQ, this really shows that this is probly not a problem because this is what it would probly look like if there was really brown contam in our jars. :smile:

Cinnamon Brown Mold ? Chromelosporium fulva (Peziza ostrachoderma) 

The color of this mold ranges from yellow gold to golden brown to cinnamon brown. It grows rapidly in circular patches. It is very common in soil, and flourishes on damp wood. Areas in compost overheated during spawn run may be colonized. Improperly conditioned compost will also support growth, but it is most commonly known as a recolonizer of overly pasteurized casing, possibly living on dead microorganisms. It often occurs on sterilized soil. Sexual fruiting bodies may appear several weeks after the first appearance of the mold. Spores are airborne.

--------------------
Penalties against drug use should not be more damaging to an individual than the use of the drug itself. Nowhere is this more clear than in the laws against the possession of marijuana and mushrooms in private for personal use.

Edited by TheDrugStore (01/27/04 07:33 PM)

Anonymous

Re: white fuzzy stuff growing inside colonizing jar?!?! [Re: TheDrugStore]
    #2278507 - 01/27/04 07:38 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

the cakes get smaller when myciliun grows so why would it push verm against the wall that to me makes no sense

InvisibleTheDrugStore

#2278761 - 01/27/04 09:00 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

fee said:
the cakes get smaller when myciliun grows so why would it push verm against the wall that to me makes no sense

I dont know man. Im a newbie grower. From looking at the jars it just looks like this is going on.

What do you think is going on?

--------------------
Penalties against drug use should not be more damaging to an individual than the use of the drug itself. Nowhere is this more clear than in the laws against the possession of marijuana and mushrooms in private for personal use.

Edited by TheDrugStore (01/27/04 09:01 PM)

Anonymous

#2279165 - 01/27/04 11:37 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

bacterial contamination. does it smell bad? post a oic I would be able to tell you a better answer

InvisibleTheDrugStore

#2280810 - 01/28/04 02:51 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Nope doesn't smell bad at all. I can't get a picture until i find someone who has a digital camera. If you look at the substrate though the brown spots only seem to occur on the out edges of the myciliun growth. Where its pretty thin but still there. In the middle parts where the myciliun growth is thick and white it looks perfectly normal. I really think if you took a look at the jars you would think it was the substrate.

Also i was just taking a look at my jars just now and in one of them i saw a very very light golden brown spot. The jar doesn't smell at all. Im going to see if this thing grows any larger then it is. This though seems like some contam but im still not sure. It doesnt fit the discription of "Cinnamon Brown Mold ? Chromelosporium fulva (Peziza ostrachoderma)"

--------------------

Edited by TheDrugStore (01/28/04 02:55 PM)

OfflineBersilak
Fly on the wall
    #2280901 - 01/28/04 03:20 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

One thing Ive seen is when the cake is nearing full colonization, it can pull far enough away from the sides of the jar that the bits of the dry verm layer on top drop down. Ive had several cakes with a good amount of dry verm just hanging out all around the sides of the jar. I can see how one small piece might drop overnight, and be quite alarming the next day when you find what looks to be a brown spot.

InvisibleTheDrugStore

Re: white fuzzy stuff growing inside colonizing jar?!?! [Re: Bersilak]
    #2280912 - 01/28/04 03:24 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Bersilak said:
One thing Ive seen is when the cake is nearing full colonization, it can pull far enough away from the sides of the jar that the bits of the dry verm layer on top drop down. Ive had several cakes with a good amount of dry verm just hanging out all around the sides of the jar. I can see how one small piece might drop overnight, and be quite alarming the next day when you find what looks to be a brown spot.

I dont think thats the case. I can see though how that could be the problem as well. The verm i have is way to big to drop down the sides... and you can still see the substrate thats un-colonized against the glass so really the cake hasn't shruken in size much.

--------------------

Anonymous

#2281157 - 01/28/04 04:32 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

is it a watery substance or is it solid? and the light golden spot is that watery also if so its mycilium piss

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation