Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

today
    #2238347 - 01/13/04 01:05 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I had a rather spiritual day today. On a fairly regular basis I'll have moments that strike me as spiritual but I stayed in that for far longer today than ever before, while sober.

I was standing out in the rain, in the dark waiting for a bus listening to Mogwai, and while watching the rain fall I felt in my body the fact that there is no such thing as repetition because everything is perpetually changing. No matter how similar two moments may be, they are never the same. Of course I've known this intellectually for a long time, but I knew it in my body, and stayed in that space without having to push myself to stay there. It was absolutely beautiful.

The bus was taking me to town where I'd later go to my first yoga class in 3 weeks and that class was the best one I've ever had. During the relaxation pose we always begin with, our teacher guided our awareness through different places in our bodies and I was far more capable of focusing only on that rather than having worries flit through my conciousness. My body felt vastly larger than it is, and I saw the whole universe in the centre of my body.

My entire day was embodied by a sense of peace, and oneness with the impermancence of everything. Right at this moment I was just hit with a strong sensation of joy. I'm happier than I've been in months. I suppose quitting my job, going to maui and being on the verge of taking new steps in my life are contributing to my ability to let go into the moment, and I'm grateful I feel this way, especially after my less than wonderful november and december.

Has anyone else recently had a moment, or a day, week, month, year where they've remained in a such a state of being?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

Loc: The Desert
Re: today [Re: NiamhNyx]
    #2238378 - 01/13/04 02:58 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Wow, sounds like quite a day.  Although I can't number many, I love those days more than anything.

I suppose one largely spiritual day I've had not-so-recently, was a day spent basking in the wonder of physics and music...
I discovered an 'underneath' to Boards of Canada's music, wondering if the music was trying to subliminally affect me. 

Then I went deeper:  Well, how could it? Could it physically interact on a wavelength level with the frequency of your body matter?  OR, could certain sounds affect your brainwaves (yeah I have BWGen)?  I dove deeper and deeper-- while sitting on the grass on my campus waiting for my next class.  Dissecting matter to a vibration, I wanted to find out how sound can affect you.

Then my next class: History of East Asian Buddhism-- got me thinking on the sound one may focus on whilst meditating.  The hum inside your head that gets truer and truer the calmer you are. 
What if I could reproduce that?  the OM of the mind: the sound of consciousness.

Yeah, Completely unrelated, topic-wise to your day.
But deeply spiritual nonetheless.  It made me feel like I was tapping into the music of the consciousness-deeper than most have thought about.

Great post Niamh, Mogwai has sent me off many times. :smile:

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    n.  3rd generation derivitave of a combination of 'bastard' and 'blasted'.  Used as both an insult or an expletive.
    ex.  Blastrid!

Stereopattern  <--My music.

OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

Re: today [Re: Blastrid]
    #2238430 - 01/13/04 03:29 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Ah, Boards of Canada. They were part of my day as well, I put thier album Music Has The Right To Children on while I waited at a coffee shop before yoga, then again after class. Thank you for sharing that experience, it's really interesting to read about other people's spiritual experiences, especially when they're triggered by something I'm familiar with. Oh and thanks for reminding me of BWGen, i have it but I never remember to use it. I just opened it up and I'll use it after I finish up on the net, see what comes of that.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #2238522 - 01/13/04 06:15 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

A lot of times I will get on this board fairly early in my day and will happen to read something inspiring, or I will start posting something and will think these certain thoughts that really open my mind up to this higher level.. today was one of them. I feel so warm, and all I know about life has recently ran through my mind...

Thanks for making this post! I really want to take yoga classes sometime, I really need them... :grin:
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

#2239689 - 01/13/04 03:57 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Yoga has been so good for me, at times being the only thing keeping me going. Physically, it's kept my seriously fucked back and neck calm enough to get through a week and mentally/spiritually it's still helping me learn to focus inside myself rather than on exterior worries. Yesterday's class was the first time I was really able to focus like that and it was wonderful.

I really want to try Taoist Tai Chi. Sometimes I can almost feel/see myself doing it even though I don't really know how. I take that as a sign that it would be really good for me to get into.

Offlinewhite_light
being of love
Loc: everywhere..
    #2239885 - 01/13/04 05:14 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

stay away from taoist tai chi. it's a money-making scheme and is very bad for your body, as it is not actually tai chi.

OfflinePanoramix
Getafix
Male

Loc: Everywhere else
Re: today [Re: white_light]
    #2240053 - 01/13/04 06:40 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Hmm? The Taoist Tai Chi Society's great. I did tai chi there and absolutely loved it. Tai Chi has always been a primarily Taoist meditative and martial art, I don't know where you're coming from with that "money-making scheme" business, white light.

--------------------
Don't worry, I'm wrong.

OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

#2240376 - 01/13/04 08:52 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Why would you say that? I must say I'm confused. Tai Chi has always been part of Taoism, and I really doubt anyone who was actually a taoist would ever create any kind of money making scheme. Perhaps there's some jerk in your area advertising taoist tai chi classes as a scheme...?

Offlinewhite_light
being of love
    #2252062 - 01/19/04 03:41 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

the taoist tai chi society doesn't teach tai chi. It was started by a triad member who used to collect a "protection fee" from a taoist temple in Hong Kong and he created the taoist tai chi society in order to launder money.

taoist tai chi people have horrible form. They lean waaay over for one, which is horrible martial arts. They claim that their tai chi isn't a martial art. Then what is it? tai chi chuan (or more correctly spelled taijiquan) translates as the supreme ultimate fighting style, so how could these people be teaching tai chi?

Daoism is much older than taiji. Taijiquan was developed around 1300s by a daoist priest named chang sang feng. The early history is foggy, but somewhere along the way taiji ended up in the chen village. The oldest style we know of is Chen style. (chen style master Ma Hong)

In the chen village the chen family kept their art a secret and only taught to close friends and family. Outsiders did learn it occasionally. This is how the Yang family ended up developing the most common style, yang style taijiquan. around 1860 or something. Here's yang chengfu demonstrating single whip, the same posture but different style of the above photo:

Taijiquan became heavily popularized in the beginning of the 1900s. Taiji is classified as an internal martial art. Two other arts who derive power from similiar sources are xingyiquan (mind-form boxing) pictured here:

and Baguazhang (eight trigram palm) pictured here:

The founder of Sun style taijiquan, Sun lu tang, was a master of all three martial arts.. taijiquan, baguazhang, and xingyiquan. Another style is wu style, and the least popular of the orthodox taiji styles would be hao style.

taoist tai chi is not any of these.

OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

#2252085 - 01/19/04 04:07 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Hmm, that was interesting. Thank you for enlightening me. I'll do some research before I settle on anything and I'll let my mom know about that too because she's interested in taoist tai chi.

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #2252232 - 01/19/04 07:31 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

do today what you did yesterday, and then do that tomorrow :grin:.  There really isn't a reason to leave, just keep reminding yourself what it is to feel that way.

Isn't in wonderful when you just stop for a sec and look at what nature is doing?  nature is constantly changing, and like you said, no two days will be the same, but at least your focus can still be that way.  I try to do a ritual of sorts.  what I mean by this is that I normally go outside for about 20 minutes and just breath in the air, watch and listen to the birds, as well as the sky.

IMHO, once we stop thinking about ourselves and getting wrapped up in value judgements, I think we will realize that we could always have felt this way.

Isn't it odd that some of the most profound experiences come from feeling in the body?

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

#2252271 - 01/19/04 08:33 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I had a spiritual day yesterday.
Me and 2 friends that I have alot of respect for got really fried and played 3-player 'Secret of Mana' for hours, and we all got sucked into the epic adventure. It was awesome.

OfflinePanoramix
Getafix
Male

Loc: Everywhere else
    #2252503 - 01/19/04 10:50 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I say, whitelight, that's really quite something, you certainly seem to know what you're talking about. But some of that is your own opinion. I've done Yang family Tai Chi and found it a wonderful experience, even if it did require me to lean waaaay over . I found it improve my balance, agility and peace of mind.

Also, I was fairly sure Tai Chi was based on meditative and therapeutic poses and motions that go back into antiquity, like Yoga. I could, and in fact am, dead wrong, I think.

--------------------
Don't worry, I'm wrong.

Offlinewhite_light
being of love
Re: today [Re: Panoramix]
    #2252636 - 01/19/04 12:06 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

panoramix you mean taoist tai chi? Yang family taiji requires uprightness. I don't doubt that one can "get" things out of taoist tai chi as moving slowly and consciously isn't a bad idea, but taoist tai chi isn't founded on good principles of movement, so don't expect to change the way you relate to your body in a very profound way.

Offlinewhite_light
being of love
Re: today [Re: Panoramix]
    #2252799 - 01/19/04 01:10 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

.. and if it does change your relation to your body, it could be better!

I missed your thing about what taiji is based on. You're not dead wrong, but the origins of taiji come Chang sang feng, the guy I already mentioned, watching a snake and a crane fighting. From some website:

"The most widespread story of the beginning of Tai Chi Chuan is that of Chang San-Feng (1279-1368 AD). The legend states that Chang San-Feng one day heard a noise outside his house, going to his window he observed a snake with raised head, hissing at a crane in a tree. When the bird flew down and attacked with his beak, the snake turned away and attacked the crane's neck with his tail. Stabbing again and again, the crane was unable to land a solid blow. The snake twisting and dodging was always out of reach. From this Chang San-Feng learned the value of yielding in the face of strength."

Qi gong is much older than taijiquan, and without it taiji probably never would have developed. You can think of the internal styles as qi gong applied to fighting. The round, natural movements of taiji conform to the natural tendency of your body as opposed to an idea of form that ignores this tendency. You find the latter in wushu and karate. Unnatural 90 degree angles and such.

It's important to find the place your arms and legs sit naturally because then you are able to relax the most in the position. When a weight hits an elastic the elastic bends and springs back, but when the weight hits a hard, tense stick, the stick breaks. This is the means to the principles of combat chang sang feng observed in the snake's movement.

partner drills like push hands, which are aimed towards developing fighting skill are the best ways to test whether or not you have found the correct, most relaxed alignment in your body. Without the applications to test your skill and prove whether or not you have the correct form you could end up carrying unnecessary tension all over your body. This is unhealthy. Even if you are only interested in taiji as a system to promote health and spiritual awareness, if you neglect the fighting aspect of it you could throw the baby out with the bath water.

Learning to move in a relaxed way is very healthy, and this is where the whole "taiji for health" thing comes from. Wherever there's tension qi builds up and doesn't move. When you're relaxed it's able to move all around. This means better circulation, wounds heal faster, and your immune system is able to act stronger and quicker.

So that's probably why you've heard that taiji is based on meditative and therapeutic poses.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order