Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineFade_To_Black
Fire It Up

Folding@home Statistics
Glowing Mycelium?
    #2240094 - 01/13/04 07:11 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Not too long ago, around the beginning of fall, my friends and i went camping at his grandparents place. we decided to go shooming as there was nothing out there but vast acres of woods and cow fields. after walking for about an hour and a half, we arrived at the camp site, it was already starting to get dark and we had no flashlight because we figured we wouldnt need one. seeing as the moon was covered by the clouds, we then decide to go ahead and set up camp, make a fire and wait till the morning to go shroomin. everyone had went to sleep early so they would awake at sunrise. well i tried to sleep, but i wasnt used to going to bed that early so i got up to go for a walk and have a cig.

i walked uphill on the trail we came from and a little ways down the path. it was really hard to see anything, but my eyes were almost completely adjusted to the darkness. there was just a tiny bit of moonlight shining through the clouds so i could now make out large objects like trees and bushes.

about 30 minutes later, i felt a bit sleepy so i decide to head back to camp. but just before i turned around, i noticed deep blue lights coming from the cliff to my far left.. my first thought was my friends grandparents were in the pickup to come to check on us. but realized that was impossible because there are no dirt trails wide enough for him to get close enough to where i could see the headlights, not to mention that the illumination coming from the valley below was a bluish color. needless to say i was curious but also a bit nervous to find out what the sorurce of this strange light really was. As i slowly moved closer to the edge, the light got brighter..

I was seriously shocked at what i saw.. At least ten full acres were engulfed in what i can only described as a blanket of blue light. The entire valley below me was glowing! I HAD to find out what was making this possible. i stared at this phenomenon(sp?) for what seemed to be hours on end when suddenly my eye caught some of this glowing substance beside me on the leaves, i crouched down and picked up a handful of the leaves, making sure i didnt touch the glowing substance itself. (lol, mabe it was nuclear waste? :nut: )

I stared at it a bit as i looked for my lighter so i could see what it truely was. i struck the lighter; what i saw was a white fuzz attached to an old decaying magnolia leaf. It sorta reminded me of mycilium. i was puzzled at this because i had never seen anything like it... i would surely like to know what kind of fungus this is and what makes it glow, and also if there is a fruiting stage of it's species. anyone have an idea of what this might be?

--------------------

Edited by Fade_To_Black (01/13/04 08:01 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Glowing Mycelium? [Re: Fade_To_Black]
    #2240666 - 01/14/04 12:30 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Oh man I remember the first time I found the glowing mycelium... It was the first time I ever got drunk in my life. I was at at a campout aswell. I was completely sloshed and rolling around in my sleeping bag and I found something glowing on the ground... needless to say I was fucking amazed... It was a glowing peice of bark. I put it in my wallet so I could examine it when I was sober. I spent the rest of the night looking for more of it but I couldn't seem to find anything other than beer cans reflecting light from the fire that I *thought* were peices of the glowing mystery... Ah memories.

Anywho, there's quite a few species of mushrooms that glow are biolumenscent... Armillaria species are the first that come to mind. Armillaria mellaea is best known for it's glowing mycelium.

I'll admit I don't know a ton on the subject... but there's what I do know. I know ToxicMan knows a good bit about this, perhaps he'll enlighten us.

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #2240678 - 01/14/04 12:41 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

I did some research and here's what I found:

http://www.forestry.uga.edu/warnell/service/library/for99-021/

It says

The fungi generates light over a total of 80 nm range which is equivalent to ? the width of the entire visible spectrum (~400 -- 700 nm). Most of the light generated is in a much narrower band. The maximum light output occurs at a wavelength peak of 520-530nm.

Blue light is in the 400nm range, so that means the light produced by Armillaria mellea should be greenish blue... sounds like a match.

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
Re: Glowing Mycelium? [Re: Gumby]
    #2240805 - 01/14/04 02:28 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

GumbyDude said:
Oh man I remember the first time I found the glowing mycelium... It was the first time I ever got drunk in my life.

I had very similar experience. I was too drunk to get out of the woods and I spent the night there. :lol: I found glowing wood chips that stopped glowing when I brought them home - they probably dried out and the mycellium died. The most common glowing macro fungi are Armillarea sp., Panellus stipticus, Xylaria polymorpha and some tropical Mycenas but there are also many micro fungi, yeasts and bacteria that glow in the dark.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #2241132 - 01/14/04 08:57 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Nice account. The common name for what you described is "foxfire".

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Glowing Mycelium? [Re: ToxicMan]
    #2241469 - 01/14/04 11:46 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

I wish I could see this!!!

Closest thing Ive witnessed is the luminescent plankton that blooms in the summer/fall...Its called red tide. The water looks so dirty because of all the plankton and life.

At night, the whitewash will glow blue, and when you run down the beach you're footprints in the sand glow for a little bit. :smile:

OfflineMikeHuntShrooms
enthusiast

Re: Glowing Mycelium? [Re: angryshroom]
    #2241506 - 01/14/04 12:11 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

someone has to find this glowing bark and perserve it and use it as substrate. that would be sick

--------------------
Click this link now!
http://venus.walagata.com/w/mikehuntshrooms/scream.jpg

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Loc: Pongyang, North Korea
Re: Glowing Mycelium? [Re: MikeHuntShrooms]
    #2241614 - 01/14/04 12:43 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

where can i get the spores for these bio luminescent species?
i want them, i would like to grow a fichtank full of the mucelum and light my room with it, it would be tight.

--------------------
PEACE

:mushroom2:zippoz:mushroom2:

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

Invisiblepanamared
State of Mind

Loc: Panama
Re: Glowing Mycelium? [Re: ZippoZ]
    #2241630 - 01/14/04 12:47 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

bio luminescent shrooms sounds so cool. wonder where i could get some of them spores...

--------------------
shrug dot aboleo dot net

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Glowing Mycelium? [Re: panamared]
    #2241655 - 01/14/04 12:56 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

One of the shroomery sponsors carries Panellus stipticus spores... I'll do some research and get back to ya.

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #2241697 - 01/14/04 01:09 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Invisiblepanamared
State of Mind

Loc: Panama
    #2241758 - 01/14/04 01:30 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

GumbyDude: many thanks :smile:

--------------------
shrug dot aboleo dot net

OfflineFade_To_Black
Fire It Up

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Glowing Mycelium? [Re: ZippoZ]
    #2241775 - 01/14/04 01:38 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

zippoz, thats a damn good idea! wish i knew how to cultivate this type of fungi. i went to Gumbydude's links and did a google search (btw, thanks Gumby!) and found out that it unfortunately does not fruit... at least this species doesn't anyway. but i think if you could find some samples of the fungi and carefully transplant it into an aquarium, using decaying wood and leaves as a substrate, maybe it will spread? I don't know if Armillaria Mellea is sinsitive to contams, so i am still a bit foggy on to whether sterilization of the substrate is necessary. next time i visit that area, ill try to get a sample to see what i can do with it! sounds like a fun thing to show off to house guests! :smile:

--------------------

OfflineWorkmanV
1999 Spore War Veteran
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon, USA
Trusted Identifier
    #2243956 - 01/15/04 12:03 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Armillaria is difficult to fruit and is also an aggressive killer of trees. I would hesistate growing it near trees you value. I suggest trying the Panellus stipticus which has glowing mycelium as well as fruits. Its pretty easy to grow and works well on woodbased mycobags from http://mycobag.com

--------------------
Research funded by the patrons of
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply

My Instagram
Reinvesting 25% of Sales Towards Basic Research and Species Identification :amanitajar:

Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

Re: Glowing Mycelium? [Re: Workman]
    #2244701 - 01/15/04 05:17 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Armillaria is difficult to fruit

Have you ever fruited Armillaria sp.? Have never heard of it.

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
Re: Glowing Mycelium? [Re: ragadinks]
    #2245372 - 01/16/04 01:00 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

I think that it's difficult to fruit it because I failed. :smile:
Armillaria cultures are even forbidden to spread around because they're on list of dangerous plant pathogens that can destroy live trees. However I think that it's not true for all species and strains. We have Armillaria bulbosa fruiting on our property for decades and they never spread to live hosts.

Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

Re: Glowing Mycelium? [Re: zeronio]
    #2245691 - 01/16/04 07:44 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

We have Armillaria bulbosa fruiting on our property for decades and they never spread to live hosts.

It would be a good project to develop a strain of them that can easily be cultivated. I like their taste. I have seen a lot of Armillaria sp this autumn but I can not remember seeing a single one growing on a healthy tree. They were all growing on stumps and other dead wood.

OfflineWorkmanV
1999 Spore War Veteran
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon, USA
Trusted Identifier
Re: Glowing Mycelium? [Re: ragadinks]
    #2252445 - 01/19/04 10:24 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I have never attempted to fruit Armillaria but I have seen a reference that used a bit of sterile orange slice or peel on agar to induce fruiting.

Quote:

Armillaria is an interesting mushroom to talk about with regard to inhibitors. Depending on concentration and type, phenolic compounds can inhibit or stimulate the growth of this fungus. Orange slices are often added to media to stimulate formation of Armillaria mushrooms. It may be that the ascorbic acid (vitamin C) in the orange counteracts the effects of phenolic compounds in the media. Ascorbic acid is often used in plant tissue culture to deal with the problem of accumulated phenolic wastes. The addition of orange peels also provides a good hunk of cellulose which probably acts as a nutritious growth template

Shaw, C. & G. Kile. 1991. Armillaria root disease. USDA Handbook #691

--------------------
Research funded by the patrons of
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply

My Instagram
Reinvesting 25% of Sales Towards Basic Research and Species Identification :amanitajar:

Edited by Workman (01/19/04 10:27 AM)

Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

Re: Glowing Mycelium? [Re: Workman]
    #2252760 - 01/19/04 01:00 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Thats really interesting - so someone must have been able get them to fruit already. That's the first time I hear of that.

OfflineLuv_The_Cyans
High as a kite ;)
Male User Gallery

Loc: BC and BCS
    #2252906 - 01/19/04 01:55 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

If you want to see a really interesting glow, go to the west coast of bc during the summer. Near the end of the year we get phosphorescence in the water. It is fuking amazing. Anywhere you stir up the water there is a blue green glow. Fishing at night is fuking amazing...as soon as you get a bite there is a glowing all the way down your line as far as you can see. During a storm or when it is wavy, the waves have a weird irridecent glow to them...really trippy. Next summer i have to mow some shrooms and go for a swim in them.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale