Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleDJHenyo
HankBus2004
Loc: NY
Why do people pick when they can grow? *DELETED*
    #2251434 - 01/18/04 11:27 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Post deleted by DJHenyo

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinellamaboy
the weasel thatsnagged the bee

Loc: Portland PNW
Re: Why do people pick when they can grow? [Re: DJHenyo]
    #2251439 - 01/18/04 11:30 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

why do people hunt when they can just go to the store for some meat? it's something to do...it's free... it's fun....and i personally think it's exhilirating to come across a patch of some yummi fungi...growing is cool and all, but it's nothing like coming across your favourite mushrooms.

InvisibleThorA
Anti-Theist OVERLORD
Male User Gallery

Loc: Calgary, Canada
Re: Why do people pick when they can grow? [Re: llamaboy]
    #2251470 - 01/18/04 11:45 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

llamaboy said:
why do people hunt when they can just go to the store for some meat? it's something to do...it's free... it's fun....and i personally think it's exhilirating to come across a patch of some yummi fungi...growing is cool and all, but it's nothing like coming across your favourite mushrooms.

Very true. Its the thrill and exhilaration after countless hours searching to stumble onto a patch.

I love that feeling, and hey you get to enjoy a walk in the wilderness!

All good.

Invisibleback2growing
hunter

Loc: southeast usa
    #2251471 - 01/18/04 11:46 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

because last summer, we had 5 fields going. we consistently picked a qp+ (fresh)each day from one field (alternating fields each day). if we picked every field every day, we would have had at least a pound a day. can you say that about growing?

its not nearly as risky as you may think. we pull up, jump out and run through the field. 20 minutes and we're done. its a thrill. some people spraypaint buildings, some people rack shit, some people go shroom hunting.

we're broke. its cheaper to find shrooms than any other method of intoxication. you go get drunk one night, we go pick shrooms. even on dollar night, you may catch a buzz offa 5 bucks and 5 dollar cover is 10 bucks per. hell, a blunt is 5 bucks. shrooms are free. i pay for gas, but so would you going get drunk.

there are also those that cant grow or find any that we supply as friends.

--------------------
Its cube season on the gulf coast.

Whats more natural than a man going out and collecting medicines?

I like to take the heavenly route to hell.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #2252240 - 01/19/04 09:59 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Growing is a felony and picking is plain fun.

Mostly you gert warnings in the PNW fopr picking shrooms or possible trepass violations. However, int he city anyone can find shrooms all over in m,ost maj0r cities inthe PNW.
On the other hand, growing can get you in trouble. Psilocybe fanaticus got charged with growing shrooms.

mj

It is easier to pick 20 pounds of P. cyanescens than it is to grow 2 pounds of P. cubensis.

mj

Offlineday_tripper
Gatherer
 User Gallery

Loc: Pacific Coast
    #2252358 - 01/19/04 11:36 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I went hunting for my first time ever this year. I've never grown but i must say hunting was one of the most fun things i've ever done. I only went on 3 hunts and they were right at the end of the season. Me and my buddy found only about 150 wet grams and i couldnt have been more excited. it was amazing. i live in the PNW, and have an odd fascination with cyanescens, which made the experience even better. Munching on fungus you found in the wild adds a lot to the experience. atleast for me. As for the risk, i was pretty paranoid when i start out, but i soon realized most people don't bother with whatever you are doing. @cro took me and my friend on a hunt and a guy walked in on us right as i was snippin some shrooms and he didnt even care. he was actually pretty interested, he had no idea psilocybes grew around there, and that they were the ones we were picking, because he says he see's that kind all over the place. it was pretty funny.

OfflinePsilygirl
cyan goddess
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: Why do people pick when they can grow? [Re: day_tripper]
    #2252715 - 01/19/04 02:40 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

i always wondered why people grow if they can pick. i think there is a lot less risk involved in picking than there is growing. if you grow, its a drug operation to the cops. at least if you pick its possession.

also, its nice to just get outside, and its alot of fun when you find a big patch.

but not everyone in the country is fortunate enough to have actives growing all around them, in which case growing makes sense.

--------------------
"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing.' Between the two, my life flows."

Puget Sound Mycological Society

InvisibleDoctorJ
Stranger
 Arcade Champion: Frogger

Loc: space
Re: Why do people pick when they can grow? [Re: Psilygirl]
    #2252739 - 01/19/04 02:49 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

yup. picking is where its at.

I used to grow... then i realized... I live in Texas! Duh! Shrooms are everywhere around here, so why risk it?

--------------------
peace, pot, and microdot!

Invisibleeric_the_red
 User Gallery

Loc: happy land
    #2252857 - 01/19/04 03:38 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

growing = hours of work preparing and inoculating. days of watching, waiting, and maintaining. if you are unlucky and things go wrong, all the time and money you put into the project has gone to waste.

picking = minutes to hours of enjoying the great outdoors. mother nature has done all the work for you, all you have to do is find her great work. if luck is not with you, at least you stil had a good hike.

--------------------

Anno cock? is that some kind of Greek liqueur? -Geo's All Knowing Sex Slave

Offlinellamaboy

#2252912 - 01/19/04 03:56 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

oh, and it's also a great way to meet new people...the place that i hunt at is fairly well known...it's large enough to keep all the hippies in the astoria well supplied. in a single day you can run into 10 people and talk about what is that you do...sometimes they join you on your hunt...happened to me...my first hunt ever i ran across one of those "hippies" and he was showing me where exactly you should look....some of the grasses wont support the growth, where, on the other hand, some can support pounds of fresh mush. as for raiding people's farm lands, i've never done...wouldn't do it, without their permission lest you want some buckshot in the ass. you should always ask permission when it's on private property, you'd be amamzed at how often the farmers wont care...as for liviging in the PNW there are plently of public areas that support mushroom growth. the only reason that i could think to grow is because of the off season. you wont find many mushrooms in the PNW right now. but then if you're like @cro it doesnt really matter, he seems stocked for the summer. hunting = fun. growing = job

OfflineLuv_The_Cyans
Trippin
Male User Gallery

Loc: Sunshine Coast of BC
    #2252929 - 01/19/04 04:01 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Growing and being all scientific about it is alot of fun. But yeilds are so small compared to a good day oof picking. You can find natural patches that will produce a fresh qp in 20 mins of picking, consistantly. You can move patches into your yard and jsut let em take over the back yard. And it is all so easy...and free. Growing is fun...but picking doesnt cost a thing. I personally pick P. Cyanescens. If you are at all smart you are totally fine. They are so easy to identify with just an hour with a pro. And if u are at all sceptical of the species...just throw it back. There are plenty more waiting to be picked.

--------------------
Then why did i have the bowl Bart? Why'd i have the Bowl???

OfflineSorceroom
Mycophile
Loc: Nottingham, England
Re: Why do people pick when they can grow? [Re: Luv_The_Cyans]
    #2253073 - 01/19/04 04:38 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I've grown before, but after doing it a few times the excitement fades. You can buy shrooms in shops here too, but I'd much rather go picking. It seems so much more exciting! (Although I'm yet to go out picking due to lack of transport/decent location)

:smile:

--------------------
You are entering the realm of imagination and dreams, which is not subject to time and space...

InvisibleOctopusDr
Octi Doci

#2253285 - 01/19/04 05:46 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

In Florida, picking is legal and free for me. All I need is permission from the property owners. Hunting does produce plenty of shrooms for friends and myself.

OfflineTao
Village Genius

Loc: San Diego
    #2254294 - 01/19/04 11:08 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

speaking of the PNW, approximately when will the season begin again?

Offlinellamaboy

Re: Why do people pick when they can grow? [Re: Tao]
    #2254330 - 01/19/04 11:18 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

uhhh for the cyans and azures, bout october or so. ditto with the lib caps...and i have no experience with pan subbs.

Invisibleback2growing
hunter

Loc: southeast usa
    #2254430 - 01/19/04 11:46 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

you should always ask permission when it's on private property, you'd be amamzed at how often the farmers wont care...

your saying that if i asked a family man farmer if i could pick illegal phychedelics, that he'd let me? i havent asked, but the answer would seem to be...no.

the cowfields we hunt in arent exactly private as in NOBODY is allowed to go on them. during the day, youll see kids playing football in them, people riding 4-wheelers (quad bikes), its more like a community land that a guy owns and raises cattle on. we dont disturb his shit and he's respected in the community for being so kind. everyone benefits from the land, we just benefit at night in our own little way.

--------------------
Its cube season on the gulf coast.

Whats more natural than a man going out and collecting medicines?

I like to take the heavenly route to hell.

Offlinellamaboy

Re: Why do people pick when they can grow? [Re: back2growing]
    #2254650 - 01/20/04 12:58 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

don't tell them that you'll be picking mushrooms, just make something up. that way they know that you're there. if a cop starts to mess with you, you're on private property with permission. not a lot he can do then. but if a farmer saw you out there, and he didnt want you there, there'd be more legal troubles than picking mushrooms.

OfflineTao
Village Genius

Loc: San Diego
    #2254695 - 01/20/04 01:21 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

i gotta admit, being a cityboy i cant think of a good excuse for going out onto a pasture. any suggestions?

--------------------
Magash's Grain Tek  + Tub-in-Tub Incubator + Magash's PMP + SBP Tek + Dunking = Practically all a newbie grower needs :thumbup:

OfflineEkstaza
stranger thanmost
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
    #2254718 - 01/20/04 01:31 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

DJHenyo said:I just think the contamination possible  would be much more risky and hard to spot in the wild then it would be on grown shrooms.

You generally don't have to worry about contamination when picking wild shrooms. Just make sure that they aren't rotten or full of insects. If one doesn't look like a healthy mushroom then just throw it out and keep the other hundred you will find. :smile:

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

Offlinellamaboy

Re: Why do people pick when they can grow? [Re: Tao]
    #2254738 - 01/20/04 01:37 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

the only decent one that i can think of taking a cammera with you and saying that you wanted some close ups of the cows...or you could just be honnest with them...tell them what you're going to do? i have a feeling farmers wouldnt care that much. but then again, maybe they don't want you touching their grow feild...but you have to ask, it's just rude and dangerous not to.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification