Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineTheOneYouKnow
addict
Drug testing for welfare recipients
    #2251226 - 01/18/04 06:24 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I would like to ask a question mainly to those who consider themselves a "liberal", or someone who is very supportive of "social programs" such as welfare.

If the welfare dollars that the family or individual is recieving is under the premise that they are so poor and destitute that, without this money, they will starve to death, would you think that making a negative drug screen part of the welfare program would be a good idea or not?

One of the biggest complaints against this will probably be that these people don't deserve to have their Constitutional rights taken away and submitted to such searches. The answer to this is the same as the answer to an airport screener asking to search your bags and your person. You aren't legally obliged to concent to the search, but they then have the right to refuse you use of their service. The welfare program would work in the same way. The government wouldn't be kicking in every door in town to take urine samples, but if you were to apply for this service and by so doing admit that you were so impoverished that this service would be paying for your "daily bread", you should be required to submit to a test that would ensure that you aren't able to purchase or use illegal drugs. However, this does not cover the possibility that you shared drugs with someoen else (meaning, someone smoked a bowl with you, so you'd fail the test, tho you aren't actually using money on drugs), or the possibility that you are producing the drugs yourself.

But, as for my answer, I would say that welfare recipients should submit to drug screenings. If someone is using my tax dollar to feed their drug needs, they don't need it. I sure as hell am not getting any assistance purchasing my beer, marijuana, or other drugs, so why would welfare provide that for people? If they didn't want to concent to that test, they could do just like you'd do at an airport and refuse the service that the tester was offering.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSlapnutRob
Toolhead

Loc: Michigan
Re: Drug testing for welfare recipients [Re: TheOneYouKnow]
    #2251250 - 01/18/04 06:34 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I don't have the strongest opinion on this subject (i.e. I see and agree with the reasoning of this if it's applied to drugs like coke that are truly addictive and ruin lives.) but I don't support it because I don't think it's the government's business what an individual does with their body. As the description of our Security and Safety forum reads, I think we live in "a nation which cannot concede to common sense and allow people the right to choose what they take into their own bodies."

--------------------
Anything stated above is fictional roleplay dialog by the character that is Slapnut Rob, in no way representing the actions or beliefs of the man behind the keys.

OfflineTheOneYouKnow
addict
Re: Drug testing for welfare recipients [Re: SlapnutRob]
    #2251307 - 01/18/04 07:44 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

SlapnutRob said:
I don't have the strongest opinion on this subject (i.e. I see and agree with the reasoning of this if it's applied to drugs like coke that are truly addictive and ruin lives.) but I don't support it because I don't think it's the government's business what an individual does with their body. As the description of our Security and Safety forum reads, I think we live in "a nation which cannot concede to common sense and allow people the right to choose what they take into their own bodies."

I would have to redirect you to the issue of the airline admittance policy. If you want to utilize a service you have to meet the standards of said service. If the government is being told by the subject that said subject is so destitute that they cannot afford the basic necessities of life then the government should be able to ensure that the money being given to them from taxpayers isn't being used to get high off of. THAT is the true issue, really.

Anonymous

#2251314 - 01/18/04 07:48 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

sounds like good policy to me.

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
    #2251317 - 01/18/04 07:49 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

makes sense.
I want my tax dollars to feed the hungry
not to feed peoples addictions

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #2251467 - 01/18/04 09:43 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

The problem with drug testing is that some of the more dangerous and addictive drugs like cocaine and meth are less likely to be detected since they only stay in the system for about 3 days, while pot stays in the system for about a month. Also, even if it does catch meth and cocaine addicts, what about people with alcohol or nicotine addictions? They don't test for these things since they're legal, but someone could just as easily blow their whole welfare check on these addictions as they could with illegal substances. I think what we need is more free drug clinics.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Anonymous

Re: Drug testing for welfare recipients [Re: silversoul7]
    #2251495 - 01/18/04 09:55 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

those drugs don't stay in the system long, but if someone is addicted to them, it won't matter.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
    #2251685 - 01/18/04 11:19 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I don't think they should have to submit to drug screening, but I don't support it because I think it costs too much. By adding drug screening you're inflating the costs of the program without benefitting those you're supposed to be benefitting.

If the concern is that the recipients might waste the money they're given on things somebody thinks they shouldn't, perhaps a better idea would be to given them the food (or whatever) directly. After all, the argument could also be made that they could waste the money on relatively non-nutritious foods or alcohol or tobacco (or whatever).

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: Drug testing for welfare recipients [Re: ToxicMan]
    #2251700 - 01/18/04 11:24 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

If we just used a fraction of the money being pissed away by the WOD to fund free rehab clinics, we could solve some major problems having to do with poverty. People addicted to drugs or alcohol could have a place to stay and food to eat while at the same time fighting their addictions, and thus becoming more productive members of society.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Anonymous

Re: Drug testing for welfare recipients [Re: silversoul7]
    #2251711 - 01/18/04 11:29 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

start one up.

OfflineKokserek

#2251726 - 01/18/04 11:35 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Welfare should be short. Just a few months for you to get back on your feet. After that, you're off. You shouldn't be able to design your life around it. But where I come from, you could smoke weed every day and not pay a cent for it no problem, so I think the drug screening isn't so accurate. End welfare as a lifestyle choice, but keep it around for those who really need it.

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #2251759 - 01/18/04 11:54 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

But, as for my answer, I would say that welfare recipients should submit to drug screenings

Corporate welfare recipients too? After all they recieve a hell of a lot more welfare than the poor ever do.

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #2252403 - 01/19/04 10:06 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I have a friend who was on welfare. He isn't anymore, but his monthly check barely covered food and shelter.

I would occasionally smoke him up, or offer him a beer.

Had there been mandatory drug testing, he would have had his only means of support yanked out from under him, yet he didn't spend a penny on drugs.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Anonymous

Re: Drug testing for welfare recipients [Re: Phluck]
    #2252427 - 01/19/04 10:16 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Had there been mandatory drug testing, he would have had his only means of support yanked out from under him, yet he didn't spend a penny on drugs.

maybe instead of smoking pot and drinking beer, he should have been focusing his energies on getting himself a damn job.  :tongue:

Anonymous

Re: Drug testing for welfare recipients [Re: Xlea321]
    #2252431 - 01/19/04 10:17 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Corporate welfare recipients too? After all they recieve a hell of a lot more welfare than the poor ever do.

it's hard to give a piss test to a corporation... i can just see it...

"general electric... we think you might be using drugs... you're going to have to submit a urine sample sometime this week if you want to be continue to be eligible for subsidies"

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: Drug testing for welfare recipients [Re: ]
    #2252444 - 01/19/04 10:24 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

it's hard to give a piss test to a corporation

Many corporations already incorporate drug testing for their employees. Perhaps the directors should be forced to undergo them too.

Anonymous

Re: Drug testing for welfare recipients [Re: Xlea321]
    #2252456 - 01/19/04 10:31 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

corporate subsidies are not paid to an actual living person, but to a corporate "I", a legal entity which is unable to buy or use illegal drugs, nor take a urine test.

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #2252477 - 01/19/04 10:37 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Which the directors are responsible for.

OfflineShdwstr
FSRCanada
Male

Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #2252796 - 01/19/04 01:09 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Why stop at Welfare recipients. Make drug testing unilateral and Zero tolerance for all, no matter what their situation job or financial status. Isn?t that what the US Government is trying to achieve? Of course, the test should also include testing for Alcohol. Nicotine, Caffeine and many other legal but harmful drugs.

Why not implement mandatory drug testing in the following as well?.

Health Care professionals. ? Test all Doctors, Nurses, Hospital Staff and administrators, weekly. After all, would you want someone who uses the demon weed trying to save your life?

Patients ? Tested on admission to any hospital, doctors office etc? Stop wasting expensive medical resources on the drug using miscreants who brought their troubles onto themselves? Let ?em die!

Education Providers ? Teachers, Principals, and Coaches ? These blatant drug offenders are teaching our children.

Students ? enrolled in any level of education? they can?t possibly be learning anything worthwhile with the minds all messed up on drugs. Permanently expel them from all learning institution and make way for the few who truly WANT to learn.

Government Employees ? These are the people who create and shape our lives. They should be tested daily. From the guy picking up your garbage each week to the President himself. Anyone testing positive should receive an immediate life sentence in a federal prison, for betraying the trust of the people? again, Zero tolerance? including alcohol.

Employees ? No one should be allowed to work, and receive payment for their services, if it is know that they are purchasing or using any drug, which will aid in the terrorism that the drug trade promotes.

Corporations ? The Directors and officers of all Corporate entities should be regularly tested. Everyone knows it takes major dollars to run drugs. What better a place to look for these drug dealers than with the richest corporate heads in the world.

Law Enforcement ? These guys are allowed to have and use guns anytime! They would be a serious threat to public if they were drunk or stoned. ? Should be tested daily before they strap those deadly weapons on.

Drivers / Vehicle owners ? Obviously the worst threat to the public good. Just look at how many people die each day due to drunk driving. You test positive? you don?t own or drive a vehicle? ever!

My apologies if I missed anyone

Think of what a utopian society it would be if all the drug users were gone?
But who among us would remain to enjoy it ???

Anonymous

Re: Drug testing for welfare recipients [Re: Shdwstr]
    #2252808 - 01/19/04 01:14 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

nah. soon enough people will realize that when you depend on the state, you are its slave.

if they really wanted to, i'm sure they could make bi-annual drug testing required for a drivers license or to attend public school.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale