Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDeviant
A Nobody

Loc: Somewheres
Popcorn Tek w/pics *Updated* * 1
    #2251265 - 01/18/04 07:12 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

First of all I would like to thank everybody here at the Shroomery. Without you all I would have had to do a lot of trial and error, and probably still be at ground zero. Next, the reason I did this was because a friend of mine wanted to know how to use popcorn so I put this together for him, he used it and said it was really easy to follow and the pictures were great, so I figured I would share with everybody else incase it was needed. This is also why I only made 3 jars instead of my usual 7. And finally, I do not claim that I figured out to use popcorn as a substrate. I?m not sure who did really, I simply took the basics of using popcorn from a thread I found here on the Shroomery and explained it in my own words and with pictures. If you see anything that you have found to be better let me know, I like new ideas and methods of trying stuff, and hopefully this will turn into a well rounded tek. If you do know who came up with this method let me know so they can get credit. Hope you all enjoy.

The first thing you need to do is find some popcorn. I use white popcorn, but I?m sure yellow would work fine. As you can see from the photo I got mine from Albertson?s. Popcorn there is only $1.49 for a 2lb bag. That?s about $0.047/oz. One 2lb bag fills about 3 Quart sized jars.

Next pour the desired amount of popcorn in a pot (if you want 6-7 quart sized jars use two bags (64oz). You will probably want to use a large pot if you are going to make more then one bag.

Add water to the pot. Make sure that the water is at least an inch or two above the popcorn. Some of the popcorn will probably float, so just push it down into the water and it should sink. Let it soak for 24 hours.
After 24 hours add more water to the pot if needed. Bring to a light boil and immediately turn down to a simmer.

Simmer for 45 ? 60 min stirring occasionally (about every 5-10 min, otherwise you might get burnt kernels on the bottom)

After the time is up, pour the popcorn into a strainer/colander and rinse with cold water (I?m not sure if the rinsing is really necessary, but I still do it).Shake the strainer/colander around a bit to rinse all the kernels. Turn off the water and keep shaking until there?s only a few drips coming out.

This part is pretty important because you already have the right moisture content in the popcorn by soaking and simmering, so you don?t need any more water. You need to Let the popcorn drain a MINIMUM of 30 min.

(*Note ? If you want to now you can prepare your pressure cooker so that it will be ready by the time you need to put the jars into it. I always put the water in and heat it up so its ready for the jars and my pressure can immediately start raising. If you put your jars in before it hot enough, you might loose some moisture content in the popcorn because it will be cooking longer.)

After about 10 ? 15 min, shake the strainer/colander to distribute the kernels so that they can dry evenly.

Load popcorn from the strainer/colander into jars about ? full. I use quart mason jars, but you can probably use something smaller if you needed to because of your pressure cooker size.

Place a filter disc on top of the jars and put the metal band on. You can also use lids with polyfil. I?ve never tried it with the lids that came with the jars, it would probably work, it would just colonize slower due to no air exchange. Then place a double layer of tinfoil on top of that.

OPTIONAL: If you add a little bit of white vinegar to the water in the pressure cooker, the water wont leave a residue on the jars.

Caution: Please follow all directions that came with your pressure cooker. Be very careful, serious injuries can occur if the directions are not followed correctly.

Place the jars into the pressure cooker and cook for 1 hour @ 15lb. Start timing when the pressure reaches 15lb.

After 1 hour turn off the heat, and open/remove the valve to release the pressure.

After pressure has reached 0lb, wait about 10-15 min just to make sure that all the pressure has been released and to let the jars cool a little bit.

Take the jars out of the pressure cooker with a rag or oven mitt, they are still VERY hot, and give them a good shake to distribute all the kernels.

Now you can either place back into the pressure cooker, the oven, or the counter to cool completely. I usually just leave them on the counter with a rag or towel underneath (you don?t want to burn the countertop).

After a few hours the jars should be cool to the touch and you can inoculate with any method. I usually do an agar transfer into the jars.

And finally incubate @ 80-85 degrees until you start seeing mycelium growth. Give the jars a good shake every 5-7 days so they colonize faster.

After the jars a fully colonized case as usual. Good luck.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineangryjslice
now with 20%more anger
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Popcorn Tek w/pics [Re: Deviant]
    #2251276 - 01/18/04 07:23 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

nice, looking forward to the rest of the pics being uploaded.

~JSlice~

--------------------

OfflinefIsh in my head
fadedstar

Loc: 4500 ASL
    #2251286 - 01/18/04 07:31 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

That's basically the popcorn tek in the faqs plus pictures. You should ask a mod to include them in the faq... always a plus for new growers.

.fs.

Offlineshroom_muncher
ex-dope fiend

Loc: The great white north
Re: Popcorn Tek w/pics [Re: fIsh in my head]
    #2252288 - 01/19/04 08:46 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

yeh thats pretty sick man

--------------------
peace sells but whos buyin?

InvisibleYesItsMe
Homeless GOHOME !...
Loc: Working for Piss ;...
    #2252465 - 01/19/04 10:34 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Really good threat Deviant !!! thx for the pics .

--------------------
God save the Queen

Offlinealienated
contaminationgrower

Loc: kali-forn-I-A
Re: Popcorn Tek w/pics [Re: angryjslice]
    #2253050 - 01/19/04 02:33 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

gluck w/ that. all my attempts w/ corn have failed.

gluck bro.

pz

--------------------
-m.

I dont even grow these things... I just post for this guy that knows a guy, who's sisters boyfriend dumped about 2 months ago.

OfflineDeviant
A Nobody

Re: Popcorn Tek w/pics [Re: alienated]
    #2253696 - 01/19/04 06:01 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Finished uploading pics. Hope this can be of help.
Peace

--------------------
"How doth the little crocodile improve his shining tail, and pour the waters of the Nile on every golden scale! How cheerfully he seems to grin, how neatly spreads his claws, and welcomes little fishes in With gently smiling jaws!"

OfflinefIsh in my head
fadedstar

Loc: 4500 ASL
    #2253870 - 01/19/04 07:08 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Hey, we have the same old presto.. it rocks uh!

.fs.

OfflineDeviant
A Nobody

Re: Popcorn Tek w/pics [Re: fIsh in my head]
    #2253927 - 01/19/04 07:30 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah it does. I got mine for 20 bucks, what a deal, Just needed a new seal

--------------------
"How doth the little crocodile improve his shining tail, and pour the waters of the Nile on every golden scale! How cheerfully he seems to grin, how neatly spreads his claws, and welcomes little fishes in With gently smiling jaws!"

Edited by Deviant (01/19/04 07:31 PM)

OfflineJetBlackNinja
Pimp-o-licious
Loc: $%^&
    #2253941 - 01/19/04 07:34 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Only think I saw wrong with that Tek was that is says to shake every few days. That ain't right, it'll take like 3 months to fully colonize if yoiu shake every few days.

--------------------

OfflineDeviant
A Nobody

Re: Popcorn Tek w/pics [Re: JetBlackNinja]
    #2260283 - 01/21/04 03:41 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Okay, I fixed that. Every 5-7 days should be sufficient right. Thanks for the feedback.

--------------------

Invisibleyasi
Male User Gallery

Loc: far from home........
Re: Popcorn Tek w/pics *Updated* [Re: Deviant]
    #8320911 - 04/23/08 09:05 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

can filter paper disks be used? Or do they need to be synthetic?

--------------------
Counting Bodies like Sheep...

OfflineMayorMcCheese
Mayor
 User Gallery

Re: Popcorn Tek w/pics *Updated* [Re: yasi]
    #8320959 - 04/23/08 09:16 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

post office - tyvex.
nice bump :awesome:

Invisibleyasi
Male User Gallery

Loc: far from home........
Re: Popcorn Tek w/pics *Updated* [Re: MayorMcCheese]
    #8322601 - 04/24/08 10:18 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

so synthetic. I thought i might be able to use the filter paper i bought from my campus lab.

--------------------
Counting Bodies like Sheep...

OfflineJAyX
Male
Re: Popcorn Tek w/pics *Updated* [Re: yasi]
    #8498930 - 06/08/08 04:29 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Could you boil them to sterilize them?

Invisibleohmatic
searcher
 User Gallery

Loc: europe
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Popcorn Tek w/pics *Updated* [Re: JAyX]
    #8498950 - 06/08/08 04:43 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

JAyX said:
Could you boil them to sterilize them?

no. boiling water has insufficient heat for killing off all the endospores in grains.

--------------------
:penis: MONOTUB tek :sun: HEATBOMB tek :penis:

RIP #cultivation! ....can't associate? well FUCK U !

InvisibleCabinFloor
Stranger
Re: Popcorn Tek w/pics *Updated* [Re: Deviant]
    #11425551 - 11/10/09 11:24 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

do I have to do the pressure cook sterilization immediately after I boil the popcorn? I don't think I'll have time for it until after I get back from work tonight so I need to know if I should even bother starting.

Also, I had read somewhere that you can just use two layers of foil instead of a lid on the jars, how legitimate is that? The lids I have are a bit old/rusty looking so I'd rather not use them.

thanks!

OfflineNuzzle
Misunderstood
 User Gallery

Re: Popcorn Tek w/pics *Updated* [Re: CabinFloor]
    #11425993 - 11/10/09 12:47 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Wow... good job bringing up a dead post man... look at the date!!!

--------------------
:hi:**If you have any spare spore prints lying around, and your feeling 'giving' drop me a PM** :dancer:

OfflineNuzzle
Misunderstood
 User Gallery

Re: Popcorn Tek w/pics *Updated* [Re: Nuzzle]
    #11425996 - 11/10/09 12:48 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

fyi... I use popcorn, but this is the tek I follow >> http://www.shroomery.org/9035/Popcorn-Tek-w-pics

have had nothing but great results thus far.

--------------------
:hi:**If you have any spare spore prints lying around, and your feeling 'giving' drop me a PM** :dancer:

InvisibleCabinFloor
Stranger
Re: Popcorn Tek w/pics *Updated* [Re: Nuzzle]
    #11426044 - 11/10/09 12:56 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

well, you didn't answer either of my questions..and you linked to a different page with the exact same content as the first post of this thread..

I didn't realize that bumping an old thread was a bad thing, should I have just created a new topic on the same matter instead? That doesn't seem to make much sense.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate