Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Artistic Stagnation..
    #2250854 - 01/18/04 06:22 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

You ever get the feeling that all of your artistic works are utter crap, but that you have pulled off something nice before? It seems that everything I've liked, I've somehow lost.. I'm left with mediocre expression motivated by shitty feelings and trying to make connections that aren't there...

::sigh:: .. i suppose I could never go into art because of this problem and the art school's orders to spit out work like a machinegun

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleJared
Stranger
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Artistic Stagnation.. [Re: ]
    #2250889 - 01/18/04 06:39 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

yea. =\

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Loc: Traped in a shell.
    #2251376 - 01/18/04 10:52 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Nope.

--------------------
What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know,
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection,
Is it all you want it to be?

OfflineMilkyMedia
Lost Soul

Re: Artistic Stagnation.. [Re: ] * 1
    #2251462 - 01/18/04 11:41 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I often ask myself..."Why are you making that? Nobody has the attention span to look at it!"..or..."There are so many better artists doing better things...They make it look easy!!"

But then I take my medicine and I see that as long as I'm doing something that I enjoy...my pesimism can fuck off.

Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#2251703 - 01/19/04 01:25 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

hrmm

the yea i seem to relate to, but the nope i cant..
i assume that you either don't judge your art or always think it's great. just an assumption tho

and milky..
is it all just pessimism then? I mean, what is the purpose of art? is it to create something in reality from your mind, to express yourself to others in a way they may better understand? Both, neither?

it seems you just do it because you enjoy it. that's as good a reason as any though, maybe better. I wish I could do that..

i have a standard set for myself above what i usually show my current capability to be and become obsessive. sigh. i guess this should go more into the support forum now? heh

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Loc: Traped in a shell.
    #2251843 - 01/19/04 03:08 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I just think that I can always draw, whenever, and it won't be wasted time. It can, and mostly always is an experimental process that is derived from the psyche. As long as I stay in tune with that channeling process, I will create something worth creating.

--------------------
What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know,
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection,
Is it all you want it to be?

OfflineMilkyMedia
Lost Soul

#2252684 - 01/19/04 02:31 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah...I do it because I enjoy it. I look at it like this. We all have had part or full time jobs, giving up 1/3 of our day for someone elses gain. Therefore, why don't I work just as hard for myself and leave someone behind for people to look at. Hell, I might even make a little money from it!

I also enjoy the process and state of mind where a piece is created. I leave it up to my imagination to disect the subject matter, medium, size, style + intangibles....to give me a story.

I try to be critical of myself because I'm past the point of doodling, and I realize the effect all the art i've seen had on me. I also want to spark the same vision in someone else.

InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

Loc: Radio Free Tibet!
    #2252971 - 01/19/04 04:11 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Hmm...

Those sort of feelings are part of the game, really. I find painting to be both the most rewarding activity I can engage in, and also the most emotionally draining. Although, many non-painters can't understand this, because to them, "art is supposed to be fun, right." :wink:

Those doubts and uncertainties are the results of you being self-critical, and that is a good thing. It can come from pushing yourself and taking risks. They will gradually subside over the years, but they should never disappear, as they are the foil which reflects truly brilliant work -- those feelings are both necessary and beneficial.

The muse is also a very fickle and elusive lady, so you will go through very frustrating dry spells. There's two approaches to this. One is to try and work through them by any trick necessary: like attempting a style you normally wouldn't do; or creating successive body of pure a priori abstractions with out any thought or judgement (Motherwell often did this). The other is to simply get away from working for a week or two, so you come back refreshed. A friend of mine, who is a very fine abstract painter, simply goes hunting or fly-fishing for several weeks. Such a distraction can really go a long way to putting a different spin on your head and keeping you balanced and productive.

However, depending on where you are in your art career, it may also be helpful to remember to not get too hung up on your work in the early stages. Believe me, the work you do now, won't really matter to you in a few years. Use this time to crank out lots of pieces; try different directions; and experiment. Treat canvas and paper like it was tissue paper, and don't buy all the pricey archival materials. Get some miles under your wheels -- it will build up experience and confidence.

One of the best pieces of advice I got, back in art school, was when I was showing one of my professors some new work that I was really proud of, and he basically said: "Okay, those are good. Now tear them up into little strips and weave them into a new piece." I paid attention to this because I respected him, and looking back on this now, I realize he was right. It's all a matter of distance and perspective.

Anyways, those are my rambling thoughts on the subject. I don't know if they'll be helpful or not, as even though this problem is universal for most artists, how they deal with it is a unique, individual, response to a highly personal issue.

-pap

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media