Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels Flag
Announcement: Archival of Five Forums & Post Expiration
    #2250695 - 01/18/04 02:29 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Edit: The archives may be found at http://shroomery.org/archives/

Greetings everyone! :sun:

This is a notification to the membership outlining the upcoming changes which will be implemented on five of our public forums.  The forums affected will be OTD, The Pub, The Marketplace, PA&L, and S&P.  As I?m sure many of you remember, we took a community-wide vote towards the end of 2003 as to the fate of the Off-Topic Discussion forum.  Cumulatively, the three polls tallied represented a majority opinion in favor of some changes.  After much discussion amongst the administration, the following actions will be taken on each respective forum within a period of approximately two  weeks:
  • Off-Topic Discussion:  All threads older than 1 month will be archived in a read-only format.  Remaining threads will be subject to expiration (deletion) after a period of 45 days of inactivity.  Any thread may be kept indefinitely at the discretion of the forum moderators. 

• The Pub: All threads older than 2 months will be archived in a read-only format.  Remaining threads will be subject to expiration after a period of 90 days of inactivity.  Any thread may be kept indefinitely at the discretion of the forum moderators.

• The Marketplace: All threads older than 2 months will be archived in a read-only format.  Remaining threads will be subject to expiration after a period of 90 days of inactivity.  Any thread may be kept indefinitely at the discretion of the forum moderators.

• Politics, Activism, & Law: All threads older than 3 months will be archived in a read-only format.  Post expiration will not be implemented at this time.

• Spirituality & Philosophy:  All threads older than 3 months will be archived in a read-only format.  Post expiration will not be implemented at this time.

In forums with post expiration, a user may request a thread be kept indefinitely.  This may be done via PM to a moderator of the forum with a link to the thread in question.  The moderator reserves the right to deny the request at their discretion.  If a request is denied, the user may appeal the action directly to the administration for further review.  These appeals should be sent to http://www.shroomery.org/support/

Some of you may be asking why we?re doing this.  Plain and simple, our community has somewhere in the vicinity of two million posts in the current database and barring constant and expensive hardware upgrades, the bulletin board cannot function effectively with such a huge amount of information to plow through.  By archiving threads into a separate read-only database and furthermore ?trimming the fat? from that point on, we can dramatically increase query times which will manifest itself in faster page-load and search times.

We sincerely believe that by allowing people to keep only the threads they hold dear while displacing the heavy burden on the MySQL database, The Shroomery will function to a much greater degree and to the satisfaction of many who have been frustrated by lengthy load-times and useless threads created for no other purpose than self-amusement (which is fine at the time of post, but to keep record of inane threads is just silly).  If you have any questions, please feel free to post them here.  While the administration reserves the right to modify any of the above terms, this is for the most part non-negotiable.

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinec0wb0yfr0mh3ll
Stranger
Re: Announcement: Archival of Five Forums & Post Expiration [Re: geokills]
    #2250743 - 01/18/04 02:45 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Will these read-only archives be searchable?

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Re: Announcement: Archival of Five Forums & Post Expiration [Re: c0wb0yfr0mh3ll]
    #2250751 - 01/18/04 02:47 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Currently the archives are in a separate read-only database and they are searchable.

--------------------

--------------------
...π╥ ╥π...

InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
    #2250752 - 01/18/04 02:48 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I think it should be more like.... keep all the posts with flames (more than 400 posts or 200 views or whatever), and expire the minor eronneous threads that have no real significance.

Expiration of all threads: :thumbdown:

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Re: Announcement: Archival of Five Forums & Post Expiration [Re: SkorpivoMusterion]
    #2250756 - 01/18/04 02:49 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

All threads will not be expired. If you read closely, you would realize that we are leaving it up to the membership at large to determine which threads they would consider revisiting at a later date and would wish to be saved.

--------------------

--------------------
...π╥ ╥π...

OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #2250778 - 01/18/04 03:03 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

www.cea.edu/robert/Tim.Leary.jpeg">

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Re: Announcement: Archival of Five Forums & Post Expiration [Re: Learyfan]
    #2250807 - 01/18/04 03:11 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I know many people will be unhappy with this decision.. but the bottom line is we can't let this board keep growing at the rate it is.  Communities of our magnitude end up running into a ton more problems when we let our databases get so freakin' huge. 

.. and after all, we have archived all posts prior to January 17th in the aforementioned forums - so they won't be lost.  Henceforth it will just take a few seconds of extra effort on behalf of the membership to request a thread be Kept from a moderator.  The goal is not to sweep important or sentimental threads under the table, rather to trim out threads like 99,999 bottles of beer on the wall which serve no other purpose than to hog resources and provide a few minutes of amusement for the poster at the time of their post.. I mean how many people go back to read threads like that?  Not enough to warrant an extra 99,999 posts in the database :wink:

Edit:  If there is a particular clause above that you have a significant problem with, by all means let your voice be heard.  We tried to tailor the #'s to compromise between efficiency but also member practicality.  Thus, if you think for example that 90 days of inactivity is too little or too long for a thread in The Pub, then please let us know.  While we can't guarantee any changes will be made, chances are that if we hear a lot of opinion in one general direction we will make changes to our plan accordingly.

Edited by geokills (01/18/04 03:15 PM)

Invisible40oz
 User Gallery

Loc: Sandy Eggo. Ca.
    #2250832 - 01/18/04 04:10 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Learyfan said:

ill second that

and give my own personal comment:

Fuck you Too.  :smirk: :mad2: :nonono:

--------------------
:pacman: - - - -  :pill: :mushroom2: :pill2: :mushroom2: :regularshroom: :mushroomgrow: :pill: :pill2: :mushroom2: :poison:

:sun::heart::sun:

tiny_rabid_birds said:
"your avatar is dirty."

OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

#2250890 - 01/18/04 04:39 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I don't have a problem with this, it's not like its that big of a deal to request important threads remain open, this place does get a whole lot of traffic and a big chunk of it isn't memorable so I really don't see why anyone would be upset about keeping things tidy.

Once something has been archived into a read only format is it possible to switch it back to an open thread?

Invisiblesimplemachine
Manfly
Male User Gallery

#2250891 - 01/18/04 04:39 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

So does this mean the shroomery will be up more often?

I get SQL errors at least half the time I try to go to the forum.

:bluedhroom:
dk

--------------------

InvisibleTheHateCamel
Research &Development -DBK
    #2250953 - 01/18/04 05:02 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Edited by TheHateCamel (12/08/07 12:21 AM)

OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #2250966 - 01/18/04 05:08 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I just don't like the idea of deleting old posts. I like looking back at old posts and occasionally bringing them back if they once again have relevance.

Deleting old posts seems like erasing Shroomery history to me. If you have to do it because of space though, i'll respect your decision and get over it.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Re: Announcement: Archival of Five Forums & Post Expiration [Re: NiamhNyx]
    #2250968 - 01/18/04 05:09 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

> is it possible to switch it back to an open thread?

As the two databases (read-only & the regular one) will be separate from each other; I do not think this is possible via any conventional methods. One of the technical admins can correct me if I'm wrong. That being said, if there are particular old threads you'd like to stay in the active database, provide the forum mods a link quickly. As stated, we'll give this roughly two weeks to go into effect.

Quote:

simplemachine said:
So does this mean the shroomery will be up more often?

While archiving does not directly relate to our MySQL problems, I believe it will help prevent some of the crashes that stem particularly from the search function since there won't be nearly as much load to run through.

Our SQL errors as of late are due in large part to a universal problem with MySQL 4.0.16 running on large databases. If you sleuth the technical support forums for bulletin board software across the board, you will see that there are a lot of frusterated people out there on large databases that aren't vibing with this version of MySQL. Trimming the database should definitely help some of our problems, though it seems that we may also have corrupt tables in our DB - which I cannot comment further on as I don't have a complete understanding of what that entails.

--------------------

--------------------
...π╥ ╥π...

Offlinedaba
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2251065 - 01/18/04 05:30 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

:pill2: :pill2: :pill2: :pill2: :pill2: :pill2: :pill2: :pill2: :pill2: :pill2: :pill: :pill: :pill: :pill: :pill: :pill: :pill: :pill: :pill::thumbdown:

Why the S&P forum though  :frown:

--------------------
Fold for The Shroomery!

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: Announcement: Archival of Five Forums & Post Expiration [Re: daba]
    #2251072 - 01/18/04 05:32 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Why the S&P forum though WHAT?

InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

Loc: Radio Free Tibet!
Re: Announcement: Archival of Five Forums & Post Expiration [Re: Anno]
    #2251154 - 01/18/04 05:57 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Anno said:
Why the S&P forum though WHAT?

Why the S&P forum, j00r m0m! :grin:

--------------------

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Re: Announcement: Archival of Five Forums & Post Expiration [Re: daba]
    #2251198 - 01/18/04 06:13 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

> Why the S&P forum though

The S&P forum has over 100K posts in it, and archiving the majority would offer a valuable benefit to the performance of the board. These threads will not be deleted; they will merely be in a seperate read-only database. If you really want to continue a topic, you can start a thread here and link to the archived version for reference.

--------------------

--------------------
...π╥ ╥π...

Anonymous

#2251203 - 01/18/04 06:15 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

OfflineRenegade8
Niggar please

Loc: Orange County
Re: Announcement: Archival of Five Forums & Post Expiration [Re: ]
    #2251215 - 01/18/04 06:20 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Yay!  Finally something that might help those damn SQL errors.  :thumbup:

As long as the old threads are still available to read, I'm cool with it.  A lot of the bigger forums I look at have a separate archive section like that and that's worked fine for me.

--------------------
I'm just see-through faded, super jaded, and out of my mind. - R.I.P. Layne

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #2251279 - 01/18/04 07:24 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

The goal is not to sweep important or sentimental threads under the table, rather to trim out threads like 99,999 bottles of beer on the wall which serve no other purpose than to hog resources and provide a few minutes of amusement for the poster at the time of their post.. I mean how many people go back to read threads like that? Not enough to warrant an extra 99,999 posts in the database

ROFLMAO!!!

As long as SandP isn't affected, I don't care what happens to the rest of the shroomery. (J/K!)

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck