Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineChiLong
More machine elfthan man...

Loc: Twisted, moved to E-Ville
Oven pasteurization of straw?
    #2250350 - 01/18/04 11:37 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

If one were so inclined, would one be able to pasteurize straw in the oven in oven bags?

Obviously one would have to soak the straw in hot water first to hydrate it, but if you left a decent amount of water with the straw when you removed it from the soak and put it into oven bags (it is cut into 1-3 inch pieces), would you be able to then pasteurize it in the oven as you could with dung?

Thanks in advance!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

Re: Oven pasteurization of straw? [Re: ChiLong]
    #2250384 - 01/18/04 11:55 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Here is a good description on how to pasteurize bulk substrate (straw+poo) in an oven.

Offlinetrkgsy
e-mail bomber
Loc: Mid-atlantic US
    #2253194 - 01/19/04 03:20 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

The oven-bag pasteurization pictorial is real good. It works and I have had shrooms of of this technique.

One thing though, wrap the bag in a trash bag afterwards to keep the moisture in. If you have autoclave bags don't worry about it. I didn't know the bags were breathable for some time being a newbie, but I still got shrooms.

Trkgsy

OfflineChiLong
More machine elfthan man...

Loc: Twisted, moved to E-Ville
Re: Oven pasteurization of straw? [Re: trkgsy]
    #2253620 - 01/19/04 05:30 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I'll be moving the straw to a large rubbermaid/sterlite container when I initiate the spawn run (This Friday!) I'll then tuck it in with a sheet of plastic with a bunch of little holes punctured in it.

Sounds like it is acceptable to pasteurize straw in the oven, so I'll be going that way.

I'm also debating on putting in some sort of store bought poo or compost. I'm in Alberta, Canada and have access to Home Depot, Rona, Canadian Tire, etc. Does anyone know of a good store bought poo or compost?

OfflineBasidiocarp
Dr. BunsenHoneydew
Male User Gallery

Loc: Rogue's Island, USA
    #2254982 - 01/20/04 02:23 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

ChiLong said:
  Does anyone know of a good store bought poo or compost?

There are many many sources of compost, just do a web search.  I think I'm going to try Intervale's all-organic compost from Vermont.  Visit them at  Intervale's Compost Page .  You can't buy direct from them, but they have a list of online retailers on their site.

Best of luck!

--------------------
"...if the mind is actually part of a continuum, a labyrinth that is connected not only to every other mind that exists or has existed, but to every atom, organism, and region in the vastness of space and time itself, the fact that it is able to occasionally make forays into the labyrinth and have transpersonal experiences no longer seems so strange."

Visit the Psychonautical Society

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags