Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Agar, Autoclave, Impulse Sealer, Parafilm, Petri Dish

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineBasidiocarp
Dr. BunsenHoneydew
Male User Gallery

Loc: Rogue's Island, USA
Help! Pure agar cultures needed. Some trades available!
    #2249873 - 01/18/04 05:07 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Hallo fungal friends,

I am in need of some pure agar cultures, but currently can't afford to pay the big bucks often required by "respected" commercial spawn laboratories or culture collections.  Obviously I would prefer strains that have proven fruiting ability.  If you would like to boost your Karma  :thumbup: by making a donation, please email me or post here, and I would be happy to pay for shipping, handling, and material costs.  If you are interested in an even trade of cultures, please see my list of available strains at the end of this message.  Thanks!!! 

LOOKING FOR:

Yellow morel,  M. esculenta.  I need a subculture very close to the parent clone, since, as we all know, morels fail to produce sclerotia (and fruit) once they're subcultured beyond just a few plates!

Himematsutake,  Agaricus blazei.

Shaggy mane,  Coprinus comatus.

Cauliflower mushroom,  Sparassis crispa.

Paddy straw mushroom,  Volvariella volvacea

AVAILABLE FOR TRADE:

--Maitake, Hen of the Woods,  Grifola frondosa.  A clone of a successful commercial strain.  I have not yet attempted to fruit it.

--Black morel,  Morchella augusticeps.  Forms numerous microsclerotia on agar.  I have gotten this strain to form wonderful sclerotia on soil medium, but I can't seem to initiate fruting indoors.  A wonderful candidate for outdoor beds, or continued indoor research.

--Phoenix or Indian Oyster,  Pleurotus pulmonarius.  Often mis-labeled as  P. sajor-caju.  An aggressive colonizer and fruiter.  I have had success with this strain on both pasteurized straw and coffee grounds.

--Lion's Mane,  Hericium erinaceus.  A clone of a successful commercial strain.  I have not yet attempted to fruit it.

--Shiitake,  Lentinula edodes. A fast-growing warm-weather strain that I have successfully fruited on supplemented sawdust/wood chips indoors.

--Yellow Oyster,  Pleurotus citrinopileatus.  I have had successful fruting on pasteurized straw with this strain.

--King Stropharia,  Stropharia rugosoannulata.    A clone of a successful commercial strain.  I have not yet attempted to fruit this clone.

If you are interested in donating or trading, please post here or contact me via email.  THANKS!! 

Edited by Basidiocarp (01/22/04 04:19 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblewizard2k
life-scientist

Loc: NRW
Re: Help! Pure agar cultures needed. Some trades available! [Re: Basidiocarp]
    #2249929 - 01/18/04 06:08 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Hi, I have the Coprinus Comatus from a big, wild shroom. It is doing very well on agar and grain, I'm going to fruit it soon. I would be interested in a culture of Maitake or Lion's Mane, but maybe it's not very easy/cheap to send live cultures from Germany to USA. How long does it take, and how much does it cost? Any experiences with that?

--------------------
Looking for: Volvariella volvacea, Panaeolus Cyanescens and rare edibles. Trades are welcome!

OfflineBasidiocarp
Dr. BunsenHoneydew
Male User Gallery

Re: Help! Pure agar cultures needed. Some trades available! [Re: wizard2k]
    #2249943 - 01/18/04 06:25 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Hmm, I have not tried to ship a live culture out of the country yet.  The contents of the package would have to be declared on a customs sticker, and I can just imagine how freaked out the US postal people would be to see "Contents:  fungal culture."  (Remember they are still freaked out over the anthrax scare.)  I probably would not ship internationally at this time, unless someone can advise me to the contrary.

As an aside, what does everyone tell the postal people when they ask you, "Does this package contain anything perishable, etc. etc.  when you're sending an agar culture?  :wtf:

--------------------
"...if the mind is actually part of a continuum, a labyrinth that is connected not only to every other mind that exists or has existed, but to every atom, organism, and region in the vastness of space and time itself, the fact that it is able to occasionally make forays into the labyrinth and have transpersonal experiences no longer seems so strange."

Visit the Psychonautical Society

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #2249948 - 01/18/04 06:38 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

You can send cultures overseas with no problem using a so called mycopak, basically you put an agar wedge in a small sterile plastic sealed bag.

Like here:
http://www.mushmush.nl/mushpak.php

Or here:
http://home.t-online.de/home/Biologische.Pilze/herstell.htm

Small ziploc bags work like charm too.

Just make sure the plastics is not too thin, and that you send your mycopaks in a padded envelope.

Invisiblewizard2k
life-scientist

Loc: NRW
Re: Help! Pure agar cultures needed. Some trades available! [Re: Anno]
    #2250051 - 01/18/04 10:10 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I will case them today. You can decide later if it is worth the trouble for you to send a culture to Germany. Maybe they don't fruit, but we will see soon. I use grain-based straw-substrate and potting soil as casing. I heard they are very easy to grow and also fruit on straw alone, although they prefer compost-containing formulas. For me, it's like an experiment due to lack of the "right" substrate. I hope I can provide you with some pictures of a successful grow, so that you WANT TO HAVE a culture ;-)
I would like to trade for a culture of a luminescent variety of Panellus stipticus, too. But I think first I (we) want to see some results of Shaggy manes popping out of my indoor patch :-)
I wish you luck in finding the cultures you search for.

--------------------
Looking for: Volvariella volvacea, Panaeolus Cyanescens and rare edibles. Trades are welcome!

Edited by wizard2k (01/18/04 10:12 AM)

OfflineChromeCrow
one ancient mutha
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Hoosier HELL
    #2250078 - 01/18/04 10:43 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

i just transfered a plate of M. esculenta. it was from spore, not clone... it was very thick and vigorouse. i would also be interested in your Maitake. give me a week to see if the transfer took, and i will send you a plate if you have any maitake left to trade

OfflineBasidiocarp
Dr. BunsenHoneydew
Male User Gallery

Dealing with US Post Office/Customs [Re: Anno]
    #2250579 - 01/18/04 03:50 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I'm not really worried about the mycelium on its journey. I would simply send a plastic petri plate with a light seal of Parafilm. I received a culture from Canada that way and it worked fine.

What I *AM* worried about is drawing attention to myself at the US post office or being labeled a "bioterrorist" when they realize I'm sending some kind of biological culture (needs to be declared on the customs sticker). You need to remember that our civil liberties aren't doing so well right now in the USA, and the government is constantly poking into people's private lives in the name of "antiterrorism" crap. I could see myself getting questioned for 8 hours in a small room by FBI agents over something harmless like this. God, I hope we get Bush out of office!

--------------------
"...if the mind is actually part of a continuum, a labyrinth that is connected not only to every other mind that exists or has existed, but to every atom, organism, and region in the vastness of space and time itself, the fact that it is able to occasionally make forays into the labyrinth and have transpersonal experiences no longer seems so strange."

Edited by Basidiocarp (01/18/04 03:55 PM)

OfflineBasidiocarp
Dr. BunsenHoneydew
Male User Gallery

Re: Help! Pure agar cultures needed. Some trades available! [Re: ChromeCrow]
    #2250588 - 01/18/04 03:53 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

i just transfered a plate of M. esculenta. it was from spore, not clone... it was very thick and vigorouse. i would also be interested in your Maitake. give me a week to see if the transfer took, and i will send you a plate if you have any maitake left to trade 

Sounds good. let me know how the transfer goes, and if the mycelium produces any microsclerotia on the agar.  Good luck!

--------------------

Edited by Basidiocarp (01/19/04 07:55 PM)

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: Dealing with US Post Office/Customs [Re: Basidiocarp]
    #2250810 - 01/18/04 05:13 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

>What I *AM* worried about is drawing attention to myself at the US post office or
>being labeled a "bioterrorist" when they realize I'm sending some kind of
>biological culture

That?s exactly the reason why I am telling you to send/receive it in this form. This way nobody will know and care.

InvisibleBi0TeK
elephant man

Loc: Yorkshire Moors, Great Br...
    #2251083 - 01/18/04 07:35 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I have Sparassis crispa cloned from a specimen I found in Sherwood Forest (Robin Hood Country) and am interested in your Grifola frondosa culture. I live in the UK though..

--------------------
PROMOTE BACTERIA. THEY'RE THE ONLY CULTURE SOME PEOPLE HAVE.

OfflineBasidiocarp
Dr. BunsenHoneydew
Male User Gallery

Re: Help! Pure agar cultures needed. Some trades available! [Re: Bi0TeK]
    #2253673 - 01/19/04 07:52 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I would be interested in a trade for the Sparassis culture, if for no other reason than to say that I have mushy mycelium from Sherwood Forest. :mushroom2:

Have you attempted to fruit this one indoors or out yet?

Per Anno's suggestion, I'm going to autoclave some ziploc baggies tonight and see if they survive the heat.  If they do then we will have an inconspicuous way to trade.  I'll let ya know how it goes.

Cheers!

--------------------

InvisibleBi0TeK
elephant man

Loc: Yorkshire Moors, Great Br...
    #2253762 - 01/19/04 08:30 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Hmmmm, I think you misunderstood Anno there. I wouldn't recomend autoclaving/PCing ziplock bags, they will melt ! I've sent loads of cultures in ziplock bags and have never had any complaints.

Unfortunately I haven't had time to attempt to cultivate this species yet but it's one of my next projects.

Here's some pics of the specimen I found in Sherwood  :smile:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...ev=#Post2096451

--------------------
PROMOTE BACTERIA. THEY'RE THE ONLY CULTURE SOME PEOPLE HAVE.

OfflineBasidiocarp
Dr. BunsenHoneydew
Male User Gallery

Re: Help! Pure agar cultures needed. Some trades available! [Re: Bi0TeK]
    #2253849 - 01/19/04 08:57 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Wow.  So you're saying that I can cut agar wedges out of my plates, drop them into  unsterilzied Ziploc baggies, place into a bubble envelope and air mail them off?  You've never have a problem with contamination?

I trust your word of course, since you said that you've done this quite a bit.  I guess it's just hard for me to get over my medical and research training that says sterile is sterile, and anything less is contaminated.  Ah well, who knew?!  :blush:

Fire off a PM or email to me with you snail mail information and I'll get some Grifola off to ya for the trade.  Thanks!

--------------------

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
    #2253926 - 01/19/04 09:30 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Wow. So you're saying that I can cut agar wedges out of my plates, drop them into unsterilzied Ziploc baggies, place into a bubble envelope and air mail them off? You've never have a problem with contamination?

pretty much. a colonized agar wedge will have no problem in a new ziplock bag [they are more or less sterile before being opened]. they will no longer be garanteed pure cultures, but you will not notice any contamination if your transfer to the bag is done cleanly.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

OfflineBasidiocarp
Dr. BunsenHoneydew
Male User Gallery

Re: Help! Pure agar cultures needed. Some trades available! [Re: canid]
    #2254626 - 01/20/04 12:45 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Hubba hubba guess what I just found!  A website that sells autoclavable plastic bags and tubing.  Since I have an impulse sealer, I could buy a roll of their tubing and send out truly sterile cultures.  Yay! :lol:

If interested, it is  Associated Bag Just search their site for autoclavable bags or tubing.

--------------------

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
Re: Help! Pure agar cultures needed. Some trades available [Re: Basidiocarp]
    #2254899 - 01/20/04 02:56 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Wow. So you're saying that I can cut agar wedges out of my plates, drop them into unsterilzied Ziploc baggies, place into a bubble envelope and air mail them off? You've never have a problem with contamination?

Ziploc baggies are quite sterile until you open them. The only problem is that the culture gets a bit squished during the shipping. In the last times I prefer to use small polypropylene vials.
I've sent dozens of packages (baggies, vials and even full petris) to USA and they were never stopped by customs. Even during the anthrax crisis all cultures arrived intact.

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Re: Help! Pure agar cultures needed. Some trades available [Re: zeronio]
    #2256073 - 01/20/04 02:40 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

to that i can attest; i recieved one of zeronio's L. edodes cultures in a 10X75mm [or similar] petri. it arrived in perfetc condition.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

OfflineChromeCrow
one ancient mutha
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Hoosier HELL
Re: Help! Pure agar cultures needed. Some trades available [Re: Basidiocarp]
    #2274054 - 01/26/04 09:53 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

the M. esculenta plates took, and on one are already forming microsclerotia. these plates are growing even quicker than the original, since i changed the agar formula slightly. if you still have some Grifola frondosa i'll trade you a plate... as i dont like to send just wedges, after MANY dead wedges coming to me. PM if your still up for the trade.

CC

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Agar, Autoclave, Impulse Sealer, Parafilm, Petri Dish

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms