Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Having Fun With Symbolism
    #2247991 - 01/17/04 08:34 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

We as humans have the oppurtunity to conceptualize and to apply meaning. A flag with red and white stripes, with the upper left corner being blue and full of 50 stars carries the implied meaning of being the American flag. Each star represents each state... all very basic stuff. And we all know that it isn't the flag itself that carries the meaning of being the American flag, it is the idea of such that is put into your head. The association between the flag and the idea...

It can go even further. Some people look at the image of that flag and associate with it everything that is wrong with the world, the injustices and the wrongdoings carried out by people waving that flag... others see it as a sign of freedom, a sign of hope and oppurtunity..

All this is nothing new, of course. We all know this. And we should all know, ogs?, that the associations we make in our mind end up influencing how we see reality... some people will claim that symbolism has no value and that they see reality as it is, however, subjective imprints are still shaping how they see this "reality".....

Myself, I tend to get wrapped up in the specific meanings of words. To me, I see a difference between the word "magnificent" and the word "wonderful". They might be very similar, and one could probably always be used in place of the other and everyone would get the general idea... but there is a difference, and it mostly revolves around what meaning is being put into the word..

It revolves around experience (think of the moon spinning around the earth, and then visualize the concept of specific meanings of words spinning around the concept of experience...  :nut:). Take a picture of Bob Dole.. if you don't know him, it is just a picture of some guy. No experience, no real connection. Maybe you have seen a guy who looks similar, some guy that was fourty years older than you and would beat the hell out of you when you were all alone, playing in your back yard.. that picture would invoke a hatred, or maybe even a love for that guy (who knows, maybe you didn't get a lot of attention and getting the shit beat out of you made you feel like God did notice you, or something.) :grin:

If you knew that Bob Dole was some politican, well, there you go, the picture has invoked more connections to different ideas.... maybe you could even follow it back to the memory of some old farmer named Bob that was a mayor of your town, and he would always have a toothpick in his mouth....

If you were married to Bob Dole, then the picture would definitely mean a hell of a lot more to you. You spent a lifetime with the man, a large fucking chunk of your mind is dedicated to memories of Bob Dole.

See, if you are an avid viewer of The Simpsons, maybe all of this talk of Bob Dole has reminded you of the one episode where the Republican Party has their meeting, and Bob Dole is like "Maybe Bob Dole should run. Bob Dole thinks Bob Dole should. Actually Bob Dole just likes to hear Bob Dole talk about Bob Dole. Bob Dole!"  :eyemouth:

But anyways... so we make our own, subjective associations between physical things and our own experiences... not only that, but we have the power to spread these associations to others, which only strengthens them.....

Myself, I think this quite the thing. We can shape the way we experience our life by implying meaning to things... anyways, ja, nothing new, of course, but I would be willing to bet people usually don't think about it or how they can consciously use it.....

When I start a fire, I like to wrap myself in the experience and it sort of becomes a ritual. It ends up being more of an experience than just "lighting a fucking fire", it ends up being quite spiritual. Something about taking wood and using it to provide for your warmth... basically your survival. It basically transcends time.... I can't imagine how many people have built a fire and had thoughts revolving around the blessing of the warmth and the sustain of the flames...

Just one example of making some associations with an action, basically using symbolism... it isn't the action itself, but the state of mind, the thoughts that come with. In a way, prayer really makes sense to me.

If you have your own home, I'd recommend making it YOUR home. Specifically select objects to furnish your home with that you can give a certain intention, whatever they might be.. maybe something with the intention of bringing about some specific change about you, maybe something that will tie in with some memory of some times that have passed, or are yet to come....

And, to end with, think of how many times I said Bob Dole in this post. As long as you actually read what I typed, then Bob Dole has taken over. Bob Dole has invaded your thoughts and will not relent with the repetition of the name Bob Dole...  :grin:

:nut:
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSole_Worthy
Stranger

Loc: over here
Re: Having Fun With Symbolism [Re: fireworks_god]
    #2248011 - 01/17/04 09:03 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Hey dude, nice post

"Just one example of making some associations with an action, basically using symbolism... it isn't the action itself, but the state of mind, the thoughts that come with. In a way, prayer really makes sense to me. "

Whats that about prayer?

--------------------
get it all together get like birds of a feather

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: Having Fun With Symbolism [Re: Sole_Worthy]
    #2248022 - 01/17/04 09:13 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Sole_Worthy said:
Whats that about prayer?

Taking a moment out of your life to offer thanks to well, whoever, doesn't matter who... hell, pray to Bob Dole. :grin: Just the act of really saying "hey, thanks for this and this and this", its more of a self reflection thing and will lead to really knowing what you have and will end up enjoying it much more...

I don't really pray, by the way, but it seems to make sense. Just not stuff like "Drew Carrey, in your infinite wisdom, find a way to strike down my enemies. Oh, and a fucking pizza wouldn't hurt either, you fuck".  :lol:
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

OfflinePHARMAKOS
addict
    #2248199 - 01/17/04 11:29 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

fire works god you the man...
i think i know what your saying about prayer in relation to this two. By making the fire symbolic in your mind of life, growth etc then the act of making a fire is transformed into a kind of prayer, a worshipfull apreciation of life itself. I do the same kind of thing
every time i step out of my house into the light and fresh air for the first time in a day i feel great like its symbolic to me of going out into the world, of the infinite choices and oppurtunities available to me every day. SO its like a prayer of sorts, a rebirth. You can find meaning in everything and make your life better for it

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: Having Fun With Symbolism [Re: PHARMAKOS]
    #2248273 - 01/17/04 12:09 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Well, the same symbol that was used in I believe Hindu beliefs (my parents own an antique shop and there was this old postcard with the Swastika on it, and it had the words "love", "light", stuff like that on it, something revolving around Hindusism or Buddhism) is now considered a symbol of hate, evil, blah blah blah...
:grin:
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #2248761 - 01/17/04 04:00 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Nice thoughts, fireworks.

On the decorating one's home bit:

I don't buy things for my home, just to have something in my home. And I don't really follow themes. I decorate with things that I find here and there, based on what the object means to me.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: Having Fun With Symbolism [Re: Frog]
    #2249045 - 01/17/04 05:26 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Frog said:
I decorate with things that I find here and there, based on what the object means to me.

Exactly. :grin:
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

OfflineSole_Worthy
Stranger

#2249206 - 01/17/04 06:55 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Thankyou for the sun The one that shines on everyone

--------------------

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #2249279 - 01/17/04 07:25 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

why do no countries have a spiral-flag :wink: that would kick ass - should be the new American Flag

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

OfflineSole_Worthy
Stranger

Re: Having Fun With Symbolism [Re: Strumpling]
    #2249304 - 01/17/04 07:34 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

--------------------

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #2249320 - 01/17/04 07:38 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

YES!

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #2249339 - 01/17/04 09:06 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Very cool, sole worthy.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#2249960 - 01/18/04 05:02 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Yes! That is EXACTLY the one that I had seen. It was on a postcard that was like a hundred years old! :grin:

Thanks for finding that! It always blows my mind how ironic that post card is....

Quick question concerning God: All we know about God has been passed to us through others. Could it be that God is just a concept? A three letter symbol carrying a whole shit load of intention and meaning that we put into it? And does the answer to these questions being so obvious surprise anyone? :lol:
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

OfflineSole_Worthy
Stranger

#2249965 - 01/18/04 05:07 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Well you can know God yourself child, just let him into your heart :wink:

--------------------

OfflinePHARMAKOS
addict
    #2250297 - 01/18/04 11:09 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

so your asking if 'GOD' is a solid noun or just a slew of abstract concepts?!

cuz if that is what your asking then by golly....

i have no fuckin clue man

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom