Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  [ show all ]
OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: ahem. shall we try to save the world? [Re: Zero7a1]
    #2273033 - 01/25/04 10:05 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

If these harmful chemicals and processed foods are so bad for us, why are our life expectancy rates higher than ever?

Are those strange chemical names in the ingredients list so bad for us, or do they just not sound like food, so we assume they must be horrible? If they are really so bad for us, why doesn't the FDA do something? (I know, I know, massive government conspiracy.  :rolleyes: Didn't Clinton eat at McDonald's, though? Was he not in on it?)

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
Re: ahem. shall we try to save the world? [Re: Phluck]
    #2273063 - 01/25/04 10:17 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

so heart disease isnt bad? Ohhh i forgot about diabetes. People choose to do this and i agree. but people dont give a fucking DAMN! im sorry, but you and i both know its true. I smoke cigs, people die of cancer cause they smoke? Does that mean because they smoke they will get cancer? No... okay... Take cigs, processed food, addictions to random bullshit... oaky stuff this potatoe some more... wait. what is stuffing this potatoe? I fforgot, more half ass stuffed potatoes who just want to stuff themselves and sit down for dinner and vanish.

I guess the dumping of a shitload of minerals in the water is good for the fish? So when the people eat the fish, the high levels of industrial pollutants is good for them? OO yeah, it makes their bones nice and strong, and actually strengthens the cells right?  :rolleyes:

And this all will just stay where it is? Time is going to freeze in here right now on januarry 25 2004? things will be peachy forever? Oh yeah. I forgot about the future.

--------------------
What?

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

#2273083 - 01/25/04 10:23 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Huh?

I think you're confusing things. Unhealthy diets have nothing to do with chemical additives.

It's fat and sugar that cause heart disease and diabetes. Neither of these things have anything to do with strange chemicals. You could get clogged arteries from eating too much wooly mammoth.

Cigarette smoking is on the decline right now.

And again... the average lifespan just keeps getting longer.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

#2273229 - 01/25/04 11:08 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Okay, okay. Did you overlook the fish? The fish? Are you leaving things out? Cigarette smoking is on the decline? I just got my friend to smoke last night. Life spans are increasing... children are dying at a very high rate in africa due to aids? Did we find a cure for it?

Comparible.. to what? This is pointless. People dont really care, you are content with your life, i am not. I think their is a danger, you do not. equal fact to support a possibility. Whats the point, you dont care anyway?

--------------------
What?

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

#2273947 - 01/26/04 06:11 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

"Did you overlook the fish? The fish? Are you leaving things out?"

Is there evidence that the chemicals found in fish are actually harming us? Even if it is, is it harming us so badly that it's posing a serious health threat?

"Cigarette smoking is on the decline? I just got my friend to smoke last night."

Totally ludicrous argument. Less people are smoking nowadays than before, this doesn't mean that you won't be able to find people who have just started smoking, it means that overall, people are smoking less. Why the hell did you get your friend smoke anyway? That doesn't sound like the kind of thing a friend would do.

"Life spans are increasing... children are dying at a very high rate in africa due to aids? Did we find a cure for it?"

AIDS sucks, no doubt about it. But this has absolutely nothing to do with chemicals, and overall, life spans are still increasing.

"People dont really care, you are content with your life, i am not. I think their is a danger, you do not. equal fact to support a possibility.

There isn't equal fact. The things you've come up with aren't real evidence of anything. You can find all kinds of incidents of bad things happening, but you can't just generalize. "My friend just started smoking, that must mean that everyone is smoking more"... What kind of argument is that?

--------------------

InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
    #2274000 - 01/26/04 07:07 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

And again... the average lifespan just keeps getting longer.

This concerns me...
With all what medical technology and man-made chemicals and whatnot that we pump into our society's elderly and young to prolong our so-much-feared Death-warrants, we have more and more and more elderly people generation by generation. Baby boomers, as some call it. And of course it's not just the baby boomers, it's everybody else. Young people are still spurting out everywhere at a  consistent rate, more or less. The more our lifespan increases, the more old people there will be and behind them there will STILL be an ever-relentless population of younger generations following them.
We won't be able to just send our Grandpas and Grandmas packing to ol' sunny Florida forever.
But I suspect 'Mother Nature' has it's own biological defensive mechanisms to protect itself from potential dillemmas. Aids, perhaps may be one of them.
Think about it, what better defense against over-population than a virus that is spawned BY sexual contact, and/or otherwise; which is what, of course, causes the increase in population. But, let's face it, we're dealing with that today as it is. And yet, this planet's population is still growing and growing and all the while it's inhabitant's life-span will grow exponentially longer.
Something's gotta give.
What that would be, I don't know.
Who knows....maybe we'll just have to improvise and start building cities underground or in the ocean...and fucker up all the Ocean's environment like we did on the dry-land already.
Maybe we'll move to the moon.
Maybe we'll send some of our population to Mars.
Maybe...Mother Nature will just send a comet flying to erase the virus off the planet called...
Human Nature.
Who knows...
We'll see. :grin:

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Re: ahem. shall we try to save the world? [Re: SkorpivoMusterion]
    #2274270 - 01/26/04 09:45 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah, that is a valid concern.

Take cancer for example. All multicelled organism get cancer, and it's a huge killer. Probably one of nature's best tools for controlling population growth. Can you imagine the consequences if we found a cheap cure?

But hey, maybe we'll have no trouble colonizing other planets are harvesting resources there. Or we'll get those huge indoor ecosystem towers they had if you got really far in SimCity 2000.

Every new threat is just another challenge. Humans will probably lose out someday, but not without putting up a really good fight.

--------------------

Anonymous

Re: ahem. shall we try to save the world? [Re: PHARMAKOS]
    #2274367 - 01/26/04 10:17 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

given enough time, everyone will die, all life on earth will perish, and the planet will be consumed by the sun. there will be no history, no record, and no memory of anything that ever happened here.

:laugh:

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: ahem. shall we try to save the world? [Re: ]
    #2274598 - 01/26/04 12:07 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Guess I better grow more shrooms while I can.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: ahem. shall we try to save the world? [Re: Evolving]
    #2274667 - 01/26/04 12:40 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

So who's going to help me build a perpetual energy device. I'll do it by myself if I have to.

--------------------

InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
Re: ahem. shall we try to save the world? [Re: Shroomism]
    #2274675 - 01/26/04 12:42 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Just make sure you get a good lawyer and patent/register your idea, so you dont raped. Up the ass.

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: ahem. shall we try to save the world? [Re: SkorpivoMusterion]
    #2274683 - 01/26/04 12:45 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

yeah like tesla

--------------------

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

#2275098 - 01/26/04 03:38 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Cigarette smoking is on the decline? I just got my friend to smoke last night."

Totally ludicrous argument. Less people are smoking nowadays than before, this doesn't mean that you won't be able to find people who have just started smoking, it means that overall, people are smoking less. Why the hell did you get your friend smoke anyway? That doesn't sound like the kind of thing a friend would do.

:lol: , yes, i know it was "ludricous", he wanted the cigarette anyway. Are you trying to personalize this? It was a ludricous topic to bring up anyway, im generalizing in the sense that their are many unhealthy chemicals people are being exposed to. These chemicals arent going away, they are in our rivers, the ocean, the air.

The only reason that I brought up the fact that you cared or not was because you said that you are content with the way things are.

I think that it is a bad habbit for people to ignore the affects of chemical agents in the atmosphere and in their diet.

I dotn want to live in a city where all i smell is the fuems of car exhaust, i dont want to live in a city that doesnt have a lot of trees. But you knwo what? i live in that city. Who is going to determine the long term affects of these chemical agents in individuals? A lot of these "chemicals" pose threats to the genome.

i.e. cancer

take a look at this  article

and this sounds like your guy in an article to scientific american.
skeptical environmentalist

You may be skeptical of the devestating affects of the build up of these chemicals, but do you question the people that do these things?

Is asking for a little bit of control and in depth examination of ones own tactics when trying to solve some problem a big deal? Sure it may not End the world, but is it making it better?

it all comes down to whether you care or not, cause i think in the end it will be the individuals who decide where these things will go. Continue to put harmful chemicals in the environment, you will continue to have these issue raise up. These problems wont just vanish in thin air. They need to be dealt with accordingly. Im not going to shit my pants and run away, but im not going to ignore the fact either. Ill do what i think should be done, and you will continue to believe what you want to believe.

--------------------
What?

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: ahem. shall we try to save the world? [Re: Shroomism]
    #2275368 - 01/26/04 05:11 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
So who's going to help me build a perpetual energy device. I'll do it by myself if I have to.

I'll see if I can help you work around the whole "laws of physics" thing.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

#2275597 - 01/26/04 06:38 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

I'm not denying that there's potential danger, and I'm not claiming we should just ignore the problems.

But I think we have to look at it from a rational viewpoint.

When you hear that a whole lot of some chemical is being dumped into the environment, and that the government is doing nothing to stop it, the automatic reaction is that this is horrible and needs to be stopped. The truth is, there are some bizarre chemicals that happen to be perfectly harmless, or far less harmful that people make them out to be.

What I'm saying is, before lashing out and trying to put an end to certain practices, you have to be sure that you're right.

Fighting to save the environment is a great idea, just make sure that your information is correct, otherwise you could just be getting in the way for people who aren't harming anything.

--------------------

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

#2275685 - 01/26/04 07:17 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

if you replace the word lashing out with the word passion, i may agree with you on your observation. But i do not think that i am lashing out, merely trying to rival the necessary drive to care about the environment, to think about the things that are being put their, and the necessity for a watch on new things and a revoking of some current things. Im not saying all things that go in the water are bad, but those that are, are dangerous, with time these things will destroy surrounding ecosystems.

My personal stance is that i will try to think and develop ways that do not require the expense of our surrounding environment to get to the ends which we as humans have been getting to in the past. This effort takes people to take into consideration the harmful efffects of pollutants on the environment, and the risks involved with not taking the proper measure to avoid cirtain tragedies.

If you wanted my stance... well their it is ^. I dont think im being overly charismatic in the approach i take, i wont let it cloud my reason, or at least not now.

--------------------
What?

OfflinePHARMAKOS
addict
    #2275971 - 01/26/04 09:26 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Phluck your name and your avatar arouse me, but that is beside the point

My post about the deer dieing and sleeping in the snow and peeing in urinals was the result of sleep deprivation and drugs. Nevertheless, i AM basically just a pissed off teenager, i make no claims at being a revolutionary. Thats why i started this thread. Because i want to know what we can do, if anyone out there IS a revolutionary and what there doing.

As to the theory that were on the brink of enviromental collapse: as far as scientific evidence goes, this is quite literally as solid as it gets. Did you check out the link? this is the largest coalition of enviromental scientists ever to investigate the effect of human pollution in all its forms on the global enviroment. The result of there tests have been known for 10 years, and the world watch institute continues to monitor enviromental decay world wide.

The coalition was over 100 scientists, many of them nobel laureates. Studies were conducted in almost every country in the world. search 'world watch institute' on google and you should find plenty of background.

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Re: ahem. shall we try to save the world? [Re: PHARMAKOS]
    #2276221 - 01/26/04 10:58 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

its just like chemistry, mix the wrong shit together, and BOOM!  :eek: yourrr fukkked.  :eyemouth:

--------------------
What?

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Loc: International waters
    #2279927 - 01/28/04 05:49 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Sounds just like the average rant of every kid who reads Adbusters,

Adbusters is awsome !!
and NOTHING like what was posted, its smart witty and truthfull, if you cant handle that, then ignore it and miss out on great articles.

ADBUSTERS
make up your own mind though people, dont listen to ME or him
judge for YOURSELF

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order