Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
Re: ahem. shall we try to save the world? [Re: Frog]
    #2253664 - 01/19/04 05:46 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

His "name" is John Titor. The reason he couldn't change anything about our future (he said) is because the multiverse theory is correct. He said that when you travel back in time, you aren't traveling back to your past...but to an entirely different timeline. Anything you do in that timeline would only effect its future, not "your" timeline. :smirk:

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
Re: ahem. shall we try to save the world? [Re: trendal]
    #2253773 - 01/19/04 06:34 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

ok now it makes total sense :rolleyes:

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: ahem. shall we try to save the world? [Re: silversoul7]
    #2255230 - 01/20/04 06:21 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

silversoul7 said:
In the short term, yes.  However, volcanic eruptions don't occur regularly enough to cause irreversible damage.  Humans, however, are consuming resources far faster than nature can replace them.

Back in the day, there was nothing BUT volcanic eruptions, right? :grin:

However, to the main topic of this thread, I do think that if we started focusing on sustaining our life here for the long term, we would definitely be able to do so. Technology can be used towards whatever end we want to use it... we could stop harvesting the trees and sucking up the oil and polluting the air and water and still live, if we really pushed, even living more comfortably.

If we put just minutes of our day towards spreading ideas of saving the environment and developing technology to meet our resources needs, getting the right people into office and such, it could definitely be done. It all revolves around education, developing these ideas and getting people to understand them, and then start working towards implementing them...

I remember watching a show once that was talking about Africa.. how people were raising cows, of course, in an environment that doesn't support herds of cows. They would slash and burn the rainforest to make way for the cows... and they wouldn't even eat or sell the cows! The more cows you had, the richer you were, which earned you more respect.. so they have these sickly ass cows that they don't do anything with, when they could be developing tourism, raising iguanas and shit for meat...

But ja, I love trees. :grin:
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Loc: International waters
Re: ahem. shall we try to save the world? [Re: SkorpivoMusterion]
    #2258853 - 01/21/04 02:28 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

It may be hard for some of you to accept the fact that the Earth plane will always be negative.

While I understand what you are saying I remember a book I read about that and it was just made up, thats all :shocked:

I prefer the buddist idea of , not one , not two, the concept of something right inbetween two things, that cannot just be diffined as this or that, one or the other, etc and I apply that idea to what we are talking about here to, but dont call me foolish I realize the buddists also talk about how all life is sufering.

Well....
Not one , not two

I cant do everything , but I can do something, and there is no reason to say, not give a man on the street some food, and then shrug the idea of feeding people off with fancy sounding yet cerrebrally empty, and emotionally cold
stuff like, "there will alway be sffering SO then.....whats the point" :thumbdown: :rolleyes: :nonono:

--------------------

Edited by Psilocybeingzz (01/25/04 03:48 PM)

OfflinePHARMAKOS
addict
Re: ahem. shall we try to save the world? [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #2260123 - 01/21/04 02:37 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

ive decided to desolve my life to the level of lunatic primitive
i will wander the streets at night in a cloud of drug smoke and smash the windows of the GAP and spraypoint absurdities on ever billboard, sugar in every gas tank, urine in every mail slot

and then escape to the wilderness where i will lie in the snow amidst the starving deer until my body systems slow and cease and i feed the earth.

i suggest you all do the same while theres still time

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: ahem. shall we try to save the world? [Re: PHARMAKOS]
    #2260140 - 01/21/04 02:40 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

:grin:

Can I mumble incoherently and steal picnic baskets too? :lol:

By the way, that reminded me of the Simpsons episode where that bear roams into town, doesn't do any damage except for ruining the Simpsons mailbox, and Homer gets all upset and demands that the mayor establishes that Bear Control thing or whatever, and they are in his office, and Moe is like "and these are smarter than the average bear", and something about swiping pic-a-nic baskets.

Anyways, after they leave, Mayor Quimby pulls out a pic-a-nic basket and starts eating... that look on his face while he is doing it, it just makes me fucking roll with laughter. Not only that, but go off topic ranting about it to others.  :eyemouth:

:grin:
Peace.

Edited by fireworks_god (01/21/04 02:45 PM)

Invisibletekramrepus
Female User Gallery
Re: ahem. shall we try to save the world? [Re: fireworks_god]
    #2260370 - 01/21/04 04:11 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I believe in the theory that I simply by saying:

As within, is without.

I believe the external , physical world is a reflection of our own internal struggle - which stems from the emotional and spiritual bodies.

So, in effect - I believe in better oneself, through Goodness and all thats assocaited with it, and that is one of the best changes you can make, the rest shall come natural.

OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

#2260411 - 01/21/04 04:24 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

PHARMAKOS said:
i will wander the streets at night in a cloud of drug smoke and smash the windows of the GAP and spraypoint absurdities on ever billboard, sugar in every gas tank, urine in every mail slot

and then escape to the wilderness where i will lie in the snow amidst the starving deer until my body systems slow and cease and i feed the earth.

Beautiful! How utterly poetic.

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

#2272144 - 01/25/04 04:02 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

nlike say a lunatic consumer????, well at least the privative will only kill HIMSELF. :rolleyes:

Quote:

smash the windows of the GAP 

Ya, and there is not reason to actually do that right, anyone that does that MUST be stpid, they might couldnt know something you refuse to realize right????? :rolleyes:

Quote:

spraypoint absurdities on ever billboard

Once again , there is nothing good about ideas or change, just leave the ad alone!!!! :rolleyes:, gee just think people might actually get a TASTE of freedom of speech, that would be horrible!!!

Quote:

History will look back on us as the worlds WORST people of all time, we raped the earth much of the time(not all) for things we just dont need,useless shit, and there is more being made then can be consumed !!!!
humans are insane! :eek:
Reality is a big pill to swallow aye?

--------------------

Edited by Psilocybeingzz (01/25/04 04:05 PM)

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #2272212 - 01/25/04 04:32 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

History will look back on us as the worlds WORST people of all time, we raped the earth much of the time

1 or 10 or 100 or 1000 people raping the earth will make no indentation, but billions will. Nor will one man with a shovel reek as much havoc as one with a bulldozer.

My questions to you are: Are people actually worse or is it merely a matter of numbers and technological amplification of greed that has ALWAYS existed?

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Re: ahem. shall we try to save the world? [Re: Swami]
    #2272398 - 01/25/04 05:57 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

My questions to you are: Are people actually worse or is it merely a matter of numbers and technological amplification of greed that has ALWAYS existed?

I have to admit it, I didnt think about that, usre I knew greed has always been around , but I didnt think opf things thge way yo put it.

I cant say, for sure, but I think overall there have been huge advancements in how we deal with each other, but the way we deal with the planet that sustains us ,is still WAY out of whack, and yes humans still have a long way to go in treating each other fairly, but the lucky ones, us in America, Canada , Europe etc, have made progress in some ways, while going backwards in others.

Quote:

1 or 10 or 100 or 1000 people raping the earth will make no indentation, but billions will. Nor will one man with a shovel reek as much havoc as one with a bulldozer.

20% of us are taking all(80%) the resources and making 80% of the pollution!!

so a couple north americans really DO MORE then someone from india etc

Whats even more scary is that alot of countries are rapidly approching "our way of life", well the world would already need 4 more planets for everyone to live like an american, so then if things dont change , get ready for more war and chaos as we all try to "live"

(by thw way, I BELIVE that we could still have a good life and a good enviroment!, I dont want to got back to the caves, but I also dont want to go ass backards into oblivion.  :smirk: , its the USELESS that we must purge!, I am not suggesting everyone start skipping meals and such! :thumbdown:

but maybe shop less, ya I know what a horrible thing to say, to think one could find live a happy and full life without shopping as a sport, I must be insane, and I am rambling , I will stop........now :mushroom2:

--------------------

OfflinePHARMAKOS
addict
    #2272781 - 01/25/04 08:43 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

psilocybeingzz: i dont know if its just me, but i didnt understand a WORD of that post

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #2272806 - 01/25/04 08:53 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

"I dont want to got back to the caves, but I also dont want to go ass backards into oblivion."

Are we really heading into oblivion? Are you absolutely positive that this isn't a good bit of overblown hysteria?

There's no question that there are starving people on the planet, or that we've had negative impacts on the environment, but why are so many environmentalists insisting we're on the brink of armageddon? What's the evidence to support this? Is it solid?

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

#2272819 - 01/25/04 08:57 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

"i will wander the streets at night in a cloud of drug smoke and smash the windows of the GAP and spraypoint absurdities on ever billboard, sugar in every gas tank, urine in every mail slot"

Sounds more like you're an angry drunken teenager than a revolutionary. You don't like the way the world works, so you just cause misery and disruption for other people instead of trying to change anything for the better.

Sounds just like the average rant of every kid who reads Adbusters, and blindly believes all the bullshit they print, and watches Fight Club, picking up on the anti-corporate messages, but completely ignoring the criticism of group mentality and blind destruction.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
Re: ahem. shall we try to save the world? [Re: Phluck]
    #2272835 - 01/25/04 09:02 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

maybe they think that with their evidence and the current trends as far as pollution is concerned that WE WILL without a doubt be headed there. How am i suppose to know? Things suck and i will tell you that. I can also tell you that the way people are continuing to build is rather shitty as well, there is little to not consideration of where i live for the natural environment.

Maybe its personal feelings of dispair that make them feel like this world is headed toward armegeddon. Have you ever been in the texas heat before? All summer long, walked home from school on the side of the road to smell the nasty smog and the black tar heating up inside the road to deilver a nasty stentch?

Do you have any idea on what kind of energy drain the roads have as far as energy is concerned and their relative position to the houses that are around? The same goes for trees and the positioning of building. Think about this on a much larger scale with a much diverse set of scenarios.

The same crap is taking place in other areas. Pollution doesnt have to be direct, a lot of it has to do with design management as well. Look at the majority and most suburban areas that are integrated with cities... take a look at the planning.

I ask myself, is anyhting being done to curb these affects? What about things outside of design? Pollution of the oceans? Those companies that dont have to do anything cause they are stuck in the grandfather clauses.

I dont know about canada, but it seems that america is pumping out more pollution than them.

--------------------
What?

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Re: ahem. shall we try to save the world? [Re: Zero7a1]
    #2272922 - 01/25/04 09:28 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

"Things suck and i will tell you that."

Compared to what, exactly?

I have no doubt that you and many people BELIEVE that the world is in great decline, and that it's easy to find things that disturb and disgust you, but this does not necessarily mean that the world is ACTUALLY in decline.

All I'm saying is: Don't jump to conclusions, and don't believe everything your hear, no matter which side it's coming from. I've heard big corporations blatantly lie and distort the truth to downplay the amount of pollution they're causing, but I'm also heard environmentalists distort the truth, and make claims that were just plain wrong. Look out.

--------------------

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
Re: ahem. shall we try to save the world? [Re: Zero7a1]
    #2272933 - 01/25/04 09:33 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

www.globalissues.org/EnvIssues/GlobalWarming/Kyoto.asp

The U.S. is the worst polluter, it appears.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

#2272966 - 01/25/04 09:44 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

We can all say that we can distort the fact, dont believe everything that you hear.

I undertsand that. I am not denying the fact that what i say comes from my position, but it is just that. It is MY position. What else am i suppose to think? Because you dont think that the information that you process lends you to believe that your world is not headed in the right direction means that i am not to percieve otherwise?

There is a lot of information out there, and we have to take into account the differences between the both of us. Im not going to deny the very real possibility of psychology or the optimistic/pessimistic view. I have my own ideas on why i think the world is headed to shit, but they stand only there, just like your position stands where you are.

we dont have the mental ability by one person to judge such things. But i can tell you that the way things are going, are not very pretty as far as designed is concerned, because i can prove more or less that people dont give a shit about it!  Im not going to say that it is going to lead to armegeddon, or that people might not come up with it. But taking the social factors along with the trends... you will get my view.

Compared to what? My life has been hard enough for me to deal with, im not going to say it wasnt worse for other people. But Am i to think about how shitty other peoples live seem than my own? My life is a insane number of questions that seem to go to no where, with no common ground between them

Its hard for me to feel like i connect with anything, rational thought is a triviality, its nothing more than words on a page, definitions in a book. U dont have a problem with life... because you are content? Because you dont think that there is anything to change? Because why...? Does that make the world better for other people? .... does it necessarily make it worse? I dont have a damn clue. Im just going with what i think is what  :nut:

just cause i say something, dont assume that I KNOW, after all, i could be wrong. but chances are we probably both are, to an extent  :shiftyeyes:  :biggrin:

--------------------
What?

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Re: ahem. shall we try to save the world? [Re: Frog]
    #2272970 - 01/25/04 09:45 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

http://www.skepticism.net/faq/environment/global_warming/
This is a link that provides a great deal of articles that provide a skeptical opinion of global warming.

I'm posting this not because I think global warming is bullshit, which I don't, but because I think that people need to realize that it is not a proven fact. There is still a lot of controversy over this idea. There is evidence to support it, and evidence against it. Many people aren't aware that there is any controversy at all, and there are quite a few people who are erroneously claiming that it is absolutely a proven fact.

--------------------

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

#2273002 - 01/25/04 09:55 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

heh, i think what is more of a more obvious fact than anything is the fact that people are being exposed to harmful pollutants. Even if the ice caps dont melt and water doesnt drown us, what about the chemicals? What about the processed food? I can understand the fact that global warming can have a lot to do with many things, but my faith in the humanity at this point is very low. I can barely even find the faith in myself. Maybe it goes hand in hand, but once again, i alone am not one to answer these questions.

--------------------
What?

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom