Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
Re: ahem. shall we try to save the world? [Re: Yarry]
    #2248815 - 01/17/04 04:16 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I just NOW noticed that your sn is obviously a parody of Harry Potter...hehehe. Pretty original. I dig it. 5 shrooms just for that. :thumbup:

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
 User Gallery

#2248817 - 01/17/04 04:16 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

/me refills skorpivos milky bottle

Edited by Shroomism (01/17/04 04:34 PM)

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
Re: ahem. shall we try to save the world? [Re: PHARMAKOS]
    #2249275 - 01/17/04 07:22 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I think we all have to get our friends concerned with these issues..... the people we really know and interact with "in person."

The more we bother our friends with talk about how messy and wasteful we are getting, the more they will hear it and tell others.

The more people see this, the more people we will have complaining to "leaders."

The more people complaining to leaders we have, and the more requests we send to stop wasting money on military and start spending on lessening our ecological and political footprints, the more people we will find with our views gaining support and "power/influence."

I think we are going to have to give up many of the excessive luxuries we live with today, and it may be quite painful for a while, but if people were to hold off on wasteful and excessive lifestyles for just a couple generations, I think the new children would be much healthier, mentally and physically

AFFLUENZA is shutting us down.. lets shut IT down

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

OfflinePHARMAKOS
addict
Re: ahem. shall we try to save the world? [Re: Strumpling]
    #2249391 - 01/17/04 09:31 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

"This is where I think I believe in determinism, or fatalism, or whatever, that what is going to happen will happen, regardless of what we try to do about it in advance. "
frog, im amazed that anyone could believe in such a disempowering philosophy that is so contrary to common sense and observable truth.
(oh wait.. no im not. Seems like most people do actually)

your friend bumps a glass with his elbow. You see it is on the brink of falling down. I, lacking this belief in fatalism or determinism, would reach out and set the glass back on the counter. You, would think 'what is going to happen will happen, regardless of what i try to do about it" ? is that really what you believe? that you have NO personal power? No ability to influence your surroundings or your future? the problems in the world were caused by the actions of people. The solutions to those problems will rely on the same. You cant sit around in blind acceptance of your fate. You DO have power frog, and you can influence what goes on. This is what seperates us physical people from wisps of invisible gas.

another thing you talked about, how we each have a job to do and you percieve yours as being a lawyer and not as saving the world. Fair enough if thats what you want to believe. But we all need to work for a living. ALL of us. does that really excuse us from any responsibilty for the well being of this planet, the enviroment, our fellow man? if everyone thought like you (i susppect they do in fact) than no one would ever do anything because they think working a 9 to 5 is all god intended them to do on this earth.

both of your oppinions expressed on this thread have been uncharacteristically depressing, froggy my dear  :sad:
and finally: "i dont think that talking with like minded people will help anything" not if thats all we do. But communication nescessarily precedes organized action does it not? how are we ever going to accomplish anything if we dont discuss with like minded people? hence the goal of this post

"However we can destroy ourselves and definately are on the path to doing so. "

swami "If that were a truth and not a supposition, then the population of mankind should be nearing extinction (a la the elephant) or at least rapidly decreasing rather than being at an all-time high."

come on swami think a little farther ahead than that. The elephant and the human are very diffrent. Humanity drains the resources required for his own survival at a rate that is unsustainable. The more people there are, the more unsustainable that consumption becomes, the faster the resources run out, the sooner we reach the point of no return. You really think population is the sole indicator of a species life expectancy?

Strumpling:  thank you strumpling for being the first one to respond to my original request in the way i had hoped. (suggesting a course of action)

to be honest im a bit surprised at the lack of enviromentalist sentiment on this board so far. FOr some reason i think of shroomers and nature lovers as going hand in hand, but so far most of you have expressed feelings along the lines of

1. i cant do anything about it
2. who cares if we all die?
3. we SHOULD all die
4. this is all poppycock, were not going to die

thats fine, and all somewhat valid, but still surprising to me

Invisiblepanamared
State of Mind

Loc: Panama
    #2249509 - 01/17/04 11:31 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

who is to say when the world will end and when it will not?

--------------------
shrug dot aboleo dot net

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Loc: International waters
    #2249513 - 01/17/04 11:34 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

"to be honest im a bit surprised at the lack of enviromentalist sentiment on this board so far."

I am here and wide awake :smile:

Yes, the world is in ABSOLUTE ECOLOGICAL CRISIS and to say otherwise is just nieve, but to think that it can be changed just like that, is also nieve.

But YOU can do alot yourself, but you must realize that UNTIL, we all have proper democracies, the enviroment is fucked.

www.corpwatch.org
www.indymedia.org
www.adbusters.org

There is alot of good stuff going on if you look for it

examples, a thing called a "DEW LINE" that makes TONS of clean water every 24 hours, water that is sucked right ot of the air, clean and pure.

A vegtable wrap for meat that could replace plastic, and even be thrown in to the meal MMMMMM

--------------------

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
Re: ahem. shall we try to save the world? [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #2249684 - 01/18/04 01:39 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

look, the fact that we are chopping down trees (our main source of oxygne) at an increasing rate shows that what really need to "change" is what goes on in our hearts and minds.  our hearts and minds are being affected by a lot of personal issues, issues that need to be resolved in our own world, or as Dr J put it, the struggle. I believe we must first find inner peace within ourselves, find what freedom is to us, and then go from there.  from that standpoint, I'm doing as much as I can.

for the environment...yeah things don't look great, but it is in my humble opinion that if this earth needs us to go away for it to survive, it'll happen.  if we get to that point...well then...heh, that's up to god :smile:

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Loc: International waters
Re: ahem. shall we try to save the world? [Re: kaiowas]
    #2249723 - 01/18/04 01:59 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

"we get to that point...well then...heh, that's up to god"

thoughts like that got the human species nothing but trouble so far, so dont push it

I belive in some sort of god that would take me awhile to explain, but to just go.....its up to god is foolish! :smile:

Why not think and try a little on our own to aye, instead of just going assbackwards into oblivion :smile:

saying........all the while

"GOD WILL SAVE  US!!!!!!, DONT FEAR!!!!, COME ALONG"

--------------------

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
Re: ahem. shall we try to save the world? [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #2249739 - 01/18/04 02:04 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

:lol:  quite so, I was being sarcastic, sorry for the wrong impression (that's what the "heh" was for) :wink:

but really though, if we all calm ourselves down, then we can look at the porblems we are causing the earth with a little bit more clairity, which is what I think we need.

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

OfflineAmber_Glow
Sat Chit Anand

#2249922 - 01/18/04 04:00 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

The earth is being destroyed, this is true.

To those who believe that life will always continue on earth, that everything is cyclical, that earth will recover...wake up! The earth is not magical. Fairy godmother does not sprinkle her angel dust in the air and poof the ozone comes back. Yes the earth has sustained through a lot of shit, but that doesn't mean we can't ruin it to a point of no return.

We are a greedy, greedy, selfish race. The #1 concern of every person on this planet and of every politician should be ecological. Who cares about your prescription drugs, who cares about balancing the budget, who cares about your next pay check, and (hate to say it!) but who even cares about legalizing marijuana - THE FRIGGIN EARTH IS BEING DESTROYED!!!!!

There is SO MUCH the human race could be doing right now to help save the earth, and we aren't doing ANYTHING. I find the human race truly quite disgusting when I think of how horrible we are at things like this. We truly are a disease. I know there are plenty of us out there who would put saving the earth at the top of our list, but for most people, saving the earth isn't even on their radar.

What can we do? I dunno. I suppose at the least we can vote for politicians who have the earth as a top priority. There is little a single person can do about these issues, because it requires complete global change.

And if you are driving an SUV...shame on you!

Also, to Frog. Determinism/fatalism type beliefs are downright silly. You really think you have no influence? No free will at all? Thats preposterous. And if this was the case, why do you even bother living? Everything is already determined, you might as well just sit back and rot because you have no control over your life. You are free, you are real, you control your own future. It also seems like you are using determinism as an excuse to not try to help the planet. "I don't have to do anything because the earth's destiny is already determined..." This kind of thinking is extremely dangerous and it doesn't help you or anyone else. Give yourself more credit, you are piloting your ship!!!

User Gallery

Re: ahem. shall we try to save the world? [Re: Amber_Glow]
    #2250064 - 01/18/04 08:25 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

It?s not easy to survive in a negative environment and it?s tough to be subjected to the pain that transpires on the Earth Plane. To help you understand more fully that your world has a Divine plan, know this: The Earth is meant to be negative and will always remain negative until God disposes of it. It?s the school for your soul?to learn from and experience negativity.
It may be hard for some of you to accept the fact that the Earth plane will always be negative. You try to foster goodness in the world. You try to end suffering. You try to stop the killing of other human beings. Certainly, you do all of this. You?d be remiss in your duty to God if you didn?t. You must remember, however, that it?s done out of necessity. If negativity didn?t exist, what would you fight against? You learn about yourself when you fight against an injustice. You view it, attack it, try to suppress it, and experience it so that you know all of its facets, all of its ways, and all of its effects.
In fighting negativity, you must be careful not to create more of it. You can?t rid the Earth of the negative?it?s meant to be here?but you can make your own island of Light and find others who profess the same belief. If you too become zealous in your fight against the negative, you can ultimately perpetuate it.

--------------------

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
Re: ahem. shall we try to save the world? [Re: SkorpivoMusterion]
    #2250111 - 01/18/04 09:21 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

^^^ :thumbup:

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
Re: ahem. shall we try to save the world? [Re: Swami]
    #2250127 - 01/18/04 09:35 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

If that were a truth and not a supposition, then the population of mankind should be nearing extinction (a la the elephant) or at least rapidly decreasing rather than being at an all-time high.

If you watch a species going through over-population you'll notice that the decline in numbers does not occur until very close to what can be considered the endpoint of the extinction event. Numbers do not fall off as slowly as they rise...

I'm betting that we would never see it coming.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
Re: ahem. shall we try to save the world? [Re: Amber_Glow]
    #2250135 - 01/18/04 09:40 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

"To those who believe that life will always continue on earth, that everything is cyclical, that earth will recover...wake up! The earth is not magical. Fairy godmother does not sprinkle her angel dust in the air and poof the ozone comes back. Yes the earth has sustained through a lot of shit, but that doesn't mean we can't ruin it to a point of no return."

No offense, but you don't know what you're talking about. You're speaking from the perspective of the ant. The fact is, the amount of time that could pass before life springs back up could be astronomical.. it could be MILLIONS of years. But this does not mean that it will not eventually "recycle" into something else. It's foolish to assume (from the perspective of someone who experiences maybe a total of 80 years on this planet) that MILLIONS of years is not enough time for the earth to heal back to the point where it could harbor life again.

I'd be willing to bet (if I had any way of finding out anyway) that once humans are gone, the earth will recover and one day harbor life again. I didn't say the week after we die.. the point I'm trying to make is, in the time that the universe has to sit around, a lot can happen.

OfflinePHARMAKOS
addict
Re: ahem. shall we try to save the world? [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #2250227 - 01/18/04 10:35 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Hey guys some Very good posts this time around.

Skorpivomusterion: interesting view point. But why is the earth 'negative'? what do you mean by this term anyways? ive heard you throw around 'negative' and 'positive' alot and thats cool but im not sure i understand. 'the world will always be negative'.... how so? in my experience the world is almost always positive, although i know im a hell of a lot more fortunate than your average bear. If the world was entirely and eternally negative i wouldnt have posted this thread, because the world wouldnt be worth saving. Not at all trying to put you down im just not sure if i understand/agree is all...

Jaquescostea: (sorry about the spelling) : weather or not a few million years of barren lifelessness would be suffiecient for the earth to respawn some microorganisms is not relevant to this discussion. If the thought that some day millions of years in the future a slime may once again crawl out of the sea is suffiecient comfort for you thats fine, but im talking about preventing the collapse of the enviroment as we know it. Now i know its all relative, but i see the natural world as infinitly divers, holy, beautifull, and i see all those things being destroyed by humanity. If we can stop this, we must. If we fail, then yes i too hope someday another microbe will take up the job or repopulating the earth, but that is entirely without importance in this topic (in my oppinion, of course)

and to those of you who (much like me) fear that humanity and the world just werent meant to mix, and that we simply MUST die off, that may be the case, but it does not excuse us the duty of changing that, proving that wrong if we may. It is not predestined weather humanity will succeed or fail. The fate hangs in the balance and it is up to US to decide weather the cosmic histories will remember us as a fleeting, stinky oily smudge on earths page of as something greater. HUmanity has potential, one way or the other, but i am not yet ready to give up hope

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

#2250285 - 01/18/04 11:05 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I've already posted this before but it seems relevant so I'll post it again:

Jesus came to this planet and told people to love life and be nice to eachother. They nailed his ass to a tree, re-wrote everything he ever said, and used it as proof of their own bogus conclusions. Since then, there has been much war and misery in Jesus' name. Instead of christianity being a philosophy of self-revelation, it has become a dogma of guilt and fear.

Einstein and his contemporaries were trying to understand the universe by studying unique atoms and how they related to energy. They ended up discovering things that led to the invention of the atomic bomb.

Jefferson, Washington, Franklin, and the other great patriots were trying to create a new nation based in peace, freedom, knowledge, and the protection of individual rights. How do you think they would feel if they visited America today?

All I'm sayin is, you teach people how to build a fire, next thing you know they're burning eachother's houses down.

the problem isnt ignorance or motivation. the problem is people. and its not really a problem.

OfflinePHARMAKOS
addict
Re: ahem. shall we try to save the world? [Re: DoctorJ]
    #2250303 - 01/18/04 11:14 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

so... then... does the existance of the atom bomb, the crusades and george bush prove that their is no hope?

or does the existance of einstein, jesus and jefferson prove that their IS?

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

#2250323 - 01/18/04 11:21 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

its not all one way or the other.

it just is.

IMO

OfflinePHARMAKOS
addict
Re: ahem. shall we try to save the world? [Re: DoctorJ]
    #2250326 - 01/18/04 11:24 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

"I've already posted this before but it seems relevant so I'll post it again"
im just trying to figure out WHY it seems relevant to this topic. If you were saying (as it seemed to me ) that no matter what , people will turn the good into the bad and the beutifull into the ugly, then that is relevant because its an argument for why we shouldnt bother trying to save our species. but, if it "just is"
than i dont get the relevance

User Gallery

#2250334 - 01/18/04 11:28 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Skorpivomusterion: interesting view point. But why is the earth 'negative'? what do you mean by this term anyways? ive heard you throw around 'negative' and 'positive' alot and thats cool but im not sure i understand. 'the world will always be negative'.... how so? in my experience the world is almost always positive, although i know im a hell of a lot more fortunate than your average bear. If the world was entirely and eternally negative i wouldnt have posted this thread, because the world wouldnt be worth saving. Not at all trying to put you down im just not sure if i understand/agree is all...

Firstly, to prevent further confusion, I should state that the aforementioned post is based on my belief of reincarnation; that we've all chosen to incarnate into this lifetime and as well as numerous previous lifetimes on this planet, and what we experience in this lifetime to learn from such...And our TRUE home, is not on this plane of existence, but in the 4th dimension. In my belief, we are all essentially 4th dimensional entities incarnating into physical vessels we call our bodies because we chose to learn from the negativity that exists here. To test our souls against the trials and tribulations that we planned out before we incarnated.
Secondly, yes I absolutely believe that much of the world IS always positive. I truly believe with all of my soul and heart that life is absolutely beautiful.
The point I was making in the previous post was that the negativity will always exist, because it exists for the specific reasons as I mentioned.
With the White Yin...comes the Black Yang, and vice versa.

And by Negativity, I mean just about every aspect of the word that you witness in the world.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag