Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibleluvdemboomers
loner with a boner
Homeless tips
    #22482718 - 11/05/15 07:34 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

My living and job situation is not very secure. I'm okay for now but things could change at any moment and that uncertainty is unlikely to change. Consequentially I am trying to educate/prepare myself for homelessness/living out of a car should I ever be put in that situation.

I know a lot of people here have been there.. any tips? How do you eat cheap without being able to cook? What do you do when It is in the summer and 90-100degrees?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePatchouli_Savage
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere between here an...
Re: Homeless tips [Re: luvdemboomers] * 3
    #22482767 - 11/05/15 07:49 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

Depends where you live. If you plan on sleeping in your car get some blackout curtains. Find out where you can park overnight. Get a small camp stove and cook in a park at a picnic table. If it is too hot to be outside or in your car hang out at the library.

Or trade your car in for a van. They are easier to live out of.

Or pack a pack and hitchike somewhere better. The world is your oyster.

--------------------
"You are a ghost driving a meat coated skeleton made from stardust. What do you have to be scared of?"

OfflineAnahata

Re: Homeless tips [Re: Patchouli_Savage] * 5
    #22482797 - 11/05/15 07:57 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

I got a spare room, you could crash at my place until you bounce back. Not sure if that's what you had in mind tho depending on your situation and where you want to be.

--------------------

InvisibleFruitOfLife
Professional Package Handler

Re: Homeless tips [Re: Anahata] * 2
    #22482854 - 11/05/15 08:08 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

I knew a guy who lived out of his car and he got a gym membership which was $30 a month and he showered and cleaned up there everyday. I dont imagine it would be too bad honestly.

--------------------

Offlinepslyke
fantasmagoric
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Homeless tips [Re: Anahata] * 5
    #22482857 - 11/05/15 08:08 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

Holy shit dude--just when I think that the pub has sunk to new lows. You come in and offer up your place to a guy down on his luck. :feelsgoodman:

--------------------
"What appears impenetrable to us does exist, manifesting itself in the deepest wisdom and the most radiant beauty" Einstein

"The conservatives of 70 years ago would be outraged at what has come to pass. It embodies everything they took up arms for to defeat"Asante

:kratom:

OfflineKonyap

Loc: Planet Piss
Re: Homeless tips [Re: pslyke]
    #22482863 - 11/05/15 08:10 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

i know a dude who has a tent and he wrapped it in plastic wrap cuz it was getting colder

OfflineLucisM
Nutritional Yeast

Re: Homeless tips [Re: luvdemboomers] * 2
    #22482924 - 11/05/15 08:22 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

You can do some sugarbaby work ya know what im sayin? 

This way all you have to do is provide decent conversation, and possibly sex sometimes, but you will have places to stay, good food, and a shower, plus they will want to buy you stuff.  Not all women like that want sex, many just want a decent looking younger stud to take places and engage them in conversation, that way they seem valid in today's society.

Just a thought.

--------------------
Šī¸

InvisibleBigfeely123
Stranger
Re: Homeless tips [Re: Lucis]
    #22482940 - 11/05/15 08:25 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

To the comment above mine:
:nojustno:

Offlineorison
mcfluffysugarnuts

Re: Homeless tips [Re: Bigfeely123]
    #22482949 - 11/05/15 08:28 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

:laugh2:

--------------------

OfflineLucisM
Nutritional Yeast

Re: Homeless tips [Re: orison]
    #22482987 - 11/05/15 08:35 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

Things could get awkward.

--------------------
Šī¸

InvisibleDieCommie

Re: Homeless tips [Re: luvdemboomers]
    #22483022 - 11/05/15 08:42 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

Lived in my car for part of a summer, it sucked but in retrospect it wasn't any "real" hardship.  On real hot nights I would just go sleep in the rough near a field.  I would do my homework at the public library, shower at friends when I could and I would drive around and around thinking about my life. lol  I got my first apartment soon after that.

OfflineRebelutionsssss
Mdmazing
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: San Francisco
Re: Homeless tips [Re: DieCommie] * 2
    #22483106 - 11/05/15 08:55 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

walmart camping

--------------------
:
To define is to confine.

InvisibleDieCommie

Re: Homeless tips [Re: Rebelutionsssss]
    #22483219 - 11/05/15 09:19 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Rebelutionsssss said:
walmart camping

I did that one night at a walmart that wasn't 24 hours.  At around 3AM I wake up to a street sweeper doing circles around my car.  I fired up the engine, left and drove around a bit...

OfflineLucisM
Nutritional Yeast

#22483248 - 11/05/15 09:24 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

Well luvdemboomers, I might be joining you sometime in the future, I got a nice Lowe Alpine back pack which hold a ton of stuff, compass, water purification system (uses UV light I think), and trowel, knives, I just need a camping stove and I am just about set. 

I don't know what my future holds, but I gotta make some serious life changing decisions by 2018, that is my deadline to have my shit together, either to leave and wander the roads of USA, or to have furthered my education and apply what I have learned to a career.

I say this to all those younger cats that want to sell drugs or be heavily involved in that scene, if you do so then be careful, don't ever give up your education for a fast life because it will come back around to bite you in the ass the majority of the time.

--------------------
Šī¸

InvisibleAlexestalex
fallen angel
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: heart of the sun
Re: Homeless tips [Re: luvdemboomers] * 1
    #22483256 - 11/05/15 09:25 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

Having a car makes the homeless lifestyle way easier. Just get creative and think of it as a GAME. Have FUN with it!

--------------------

Stay far from timid, only make moves when your heart's in it.

Invisiblejbaby007
Badass
I'm a teapot

#22483541 - 11/05/15 10:17 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

Well you're lucky you have a car. I was homeless on the streets for a year. Luckily I'm in a city that has great support for the homeless. I could have stayed in a shelter but I've heard too many stories to put myself in one, even the ones for just women.
Anyways, I've slept in a car before when I went on a road trip and it got pretty cold in there at night. I'd suggest make sure you have a decent sleeping bag to keep you warm.
In my city, there are plenty of "feeds" or places homeless people can go eat at certain times of the day for free. I'd check out any nearby churches to see if they have a printable list for you to take that way you can pick and choose which feeds to go to at different times of the day.
Some feeds are WAY better than others. Some serve super fresh and delicious food. Others will serve up some shit that looks, smells, and tastes like it came from the first World War. It's all about trial and error.
I'd eat 3+ meals every single day and had plenty to take with me even though it's hard to keep certain foods good without a refrigerator.
Always keep a water bottle with you and find decent pee/poop spots. Try to use a regular bathroom before they all close and keep a roll of tissue.
Watch your surroundings because people will be watching you and try to stay clear of the cops.
Some cops won't let you stay parked in certain areas for long periods of time/sleep in your car.
If your state offers it, get a food stamps card. There's no shame in it because it really does help. However, the only shitty part is not being able to get perishables unless you want to buy a cooler, portable gas stove, etc.
Summer time is a bitch because it is really hot. Just stay hydrated, always have water with you, try to get some sleep in shady areas like parks during the day, and stay clean!
We have nice places to get showers, toiletries, clothes/wash clothes, food, do activities, work on your resume/cover letter, etc here so I tried to stay busy in those places during the day until they closed. See if your city offers day time drop in centers. I've also chilled at the library a lot since I had a laptop.
Funny enough, no one ever suspected me of being homeless because I looked like another teen running around here. Of course the other homeless people caught on after seeing me out so much but yeah. Even when carrying my sleeping bag everywhere people would ask if I'm going camping in the mountains :rofl:
Shitty times, but I got through it. Hopefully you won't have to go through it. I wish you the best of luck!

--------------------

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Ascension Energy & Alien UFOs
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Inexpressible... Flag
Re: Homeless tips [Re: Alexestalex]
    #22483552 - 11/05/15 10:19 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

i was homeless for about a week after i broke up with my GF.

I lived out of my SUV.

Wasnt too bad. I slept at a local park. I put sheets up to block out light. Wish i has black ones.

The crappy thing was moving all my stuff around my car to make room for a bed. That sucked. If u can afford it, get a storage unit for your stuff. Makes life easier.

I usually cooked on a camp stove or bought food from the deli at the store. Also, as Rebel said, Most walmarts are 24 hours. Find a 24hour spot and park it there. Free public bathrooms and food! Pretty sweet if u ask me.

And if u need to charge your cell phone, head to a coffee shop or library and plug in the wall.

--------------------
"What you must understand is that your physical dimension affects everyone in the higher dimensions as well. All things are interconnected. All things are One. Therefore, if one dimension is broken or out of balance, then all other dimensions will experience repercussions." - Pleiadian Prophecy 2020 The New Golden Age by James Carwin

PROJECT BLUE BOOK ANALYSIS! (312 pages!) | Psychedelics & UFOs | Ready to Contact UFOs? | The Source on Mushrooms:shroomeryhead:| Trippy Gematrix | Dj TeknoLogical | Fentanyl Test Kits R.I.P. Big Worm :tombstone: || The Start of the Ascension Process was 2020. Welcome to the Next Great Era of Earth 🌎🌍🌏                                                         
:sunny::bliss::mushroom2: Oregon Eclipse Festival 2017 :: Aug 19th - 21st :: Pure Paradise :mushroom2::bliss::sunny: :rainbowdrink: Very Effective LSA Extraction Tek :rainbowdrink: | 💧 Advanced Cold Water LSA Extraction Method 💧 | :cacti::bongload: Mescajuana - Mescaline with Marijuana | DMT Dab Bongs | UFO Technology! :shpongle:Shpongle:shpongle:   

Invisibledanielx
whatup!
 User Gallery

Re: Homeless tips [Re: Anahata] * 3
    #22483607 - 11/05/15 10:29 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Anahata said:
I got a spare room, you could crash at my place until you bounce back. Not sure if that's what you had in mind tho depending on your situation and where you want to be.

Thats rad my man, this post reminded me why I am on the shroomery. Sometimes I forget wading through the thousands of dumb underage kids who just smoked pot for the first time.

Namaste
:aum:

--------------------
Long live kratom :kratom:

OfflineNear Dylan
Shitpost Artist

Re: Homeless tips [Re: LogicaL Chaos]
    #22483623 - 11/05/15 10:31 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

As someone said earlier, a gym membership is your best bet. Free showers, you can exercise, chill out there, maybe they'll even let you sleep there, who knows. I lived out of my car and had a gym membership and it was $20 a month, and it really wasn't all that bad. Only lasted 20 days though

--------------------

OfflineArctic W. Fox
 User Gallery
Re: Homeless tips [Re: Near Dylan]
    #22483649 - 11/05/15 10:36 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

I was homeless for eight years, most of that time I was living in my tiny car, one year was only a backpack with clothes, sleeping bag and tarp.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom