Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Loc: : Gringo
Why are people dumb?
    #2247378 - 01/17/04 12:44 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Assuming that intelligence, critical thinking, and knowledge aren't predominantly genetic...

Why are the majority of people dumb? Why is the bookworm picked on in Junior High? Why are computer nerds ostrasized when digital technology is becoming an increasingly integral part of our lives? How come every time I check a book out from the library the previous due date was in 1996? Why is MTV even in existance? Why does Egdar Simpleton brag about how he barely passed high school in his drunken swagger? Why is the gen pop mathematically and scientifically illiterate? Why does the intelligent quiet kid always have trouble fitting in to society?

Is not knowledge power? The greatest advesary of evil? The most imp....fuck, MTV cribs is on, bbl k?

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
-- :meff:
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblemuhurgle
Turtles all theway down

Re: Why are people dumb? [Re: SpecialEd]
    #2247391 - 01/17/04 12:50 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I think a more adequate question might be "Why do I percieve myself to be smarter than others?"

There was a time when I thought religious people were stupid. Now I think they're just unlucky or more defeatist than myself.

--------------------
"To make this mundane world sublime
Take half a gram of phanerothyme."

Aldous Huxley

OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Re: Why are people dumb? [Re: muhurgle]
    #2247402 - 01/17/04 12:59 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

I think a more adequate question might be "Why do I percieve myself to be smarter than others?"

I'm not sure if that question is directed at me in response to me implying I'm smarter, but that's not the case, nor is it what I aim to discuss.

Uh, how come knowledge isn't valued in our society?

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

OfflineIamHungry
Stranger
    #2247403 - 01/17/04 12:59 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

in my opinion, it's relative. the quiet kids have trouble fitting into society because they dont talk. the loud ones fit in nicely, even though their grades might not be as great as the quiet kids'. those quiet kids can know everything in the entire world except how to deal with people, and unfortunately, to deal with people takes up a vast amount of memory. i assume that since the nerdy kids didnt devote time to improving social skills, regular booksmarts fills the void. of course, i am just rambling now, but i hope you understand what i mean.

--------------------
Here comes the sun, do n do do,
Here comes the sun, and I say,
It's alright...

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #2247405 - 01/17/04 01:01 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I think that a lot of people are too concerned with money, and taking it from "the man" to pursue mind expansion.

OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Re: Why are people dumb? [Re: IamHungry]
    #2247407 - 01/17/04 01:02 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

in my opinion, it's relative. the quiet kids have trouble fitting into society because they dont talk. the loud ones fit in nicely, even though their grades might not be as great as the quiet kids'. those quiet kids can know everything in the entire world except how to deal with people, and unfortunately, to deal with people takes up a vast amount of memory. i assume that since the nerdy kids didnt devote time to improving social skills, regular booksmarts fills the void. of course, i am just rambling now, but i hope you understand what i mean.

I here what you are saying, but that's not quite what I'm after. Ever seen "Saved by the Bell?" Screech is a perfect example. He was a genius and was ragged on constantly for it.

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Re: Why are people dumb? [Re: Shroomism]
    #2247408 - 01/17/04 01:02 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

I think that a lot of people are too concerned with money, and taking it from "the man" to pursue mind expansion.

What can I do about this?

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

Invisiblemuhurgle
Turtles all theway down

#2247414 - 01/17/04 01:05 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Ok, people like us probably value knowledge (for some reason, I do). Why should we value it, why should anybody? What is the inherit value of knowledge?

Is the goal of society to further total knowledge? Should it be?

Is there even such a thing as knowledge?

--------------------

Aldous Huxley

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #2247415 - 01/17/04 01:05 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Because our society is male-dominated for the better part of 6,000 years... and that "male" image has been extremely warped and twisted. And because people like to judge everyone but themselves. And because people feel inferior around 'smart' people, so they compensate by making fun of them. And because of the Illuminati, and a trillion and a half other reasons.

OfflineIamHungry
Stranger
    #2247418 - 01/17/04 01:06 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

well i guess deep down the average kids want above average grades, only they lack the proper study habits and skills. when they see a person (that they perceive) as a lesser life form do better in school, they feel threatened and jealous. they dont know any better way to deal with their feelings other than to put down the smarter ones to "level the field" so to speak.

--------------------
Here comes the sun, do n do do,
Here comes the sun, and I say,
It's alright...

OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

#2247423 - 01/17/04 01:08 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Ok, people like us probably value knowledge (for some reason, I do). Why should we value it, why should anybody? What is the inherit value of knowledge?

Is the goal of society to further total knowledge? Should it be?

Knowledge is power. Technology has enhanced your life. I think the pursuit of knowledge should be everyone's goal.

Quote:

Is there even such a thing as knowledge?

Come on, the fact that you posted that in cyberspace should answer your own question.

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #2247427 - 01/17/04 01:13 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

SpecialEd said:
Quote:

What can I do about this?

The only thing you can do is about yourself. Don't concern yourself so much with other people. If you can help them, then do it. But don't let them drag you down. What YOU can do about it, is be YOURSELF, and live your life, not giving a fuck what judgemental and often, very confused, people say to hurt your feelings.

But the key is dropping judgement, because then you are doing the same thing as them. It is hard to avoid but we can also try hard. You cannot judge someone unless you have lived their life, had their exact same experiences, been in their shoes. We are all different personalities on the path of evolution... though you may not understand someone's reality..does not make it invalid. If you were in their shoes you may think the exact same way.

So all in all.. you can't do shit about other people. Start with yourself, be the best you can be, and other people will take notice. You will become magnetically attracted to likeminded people who share your thoughts. But take no heed to the judgements and ego lashings of others, for they are in vain...unless you give them power.

Invisiblemuhurgle
Turtles all theway down

#2247436 - 01/17/04 01:17 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I'm saying that I agree with you that knowledge = good. But I don't know why. I assume it is because that is what I was taught. It also seems probable that a society which values knowledge, like ours, would do it better than one which did not.

But what if we would have been better off living another life? One of seclusion and less questions? The happy idiot? A society with that ideal would probably do it worse than one as ours (and thus not exist at all after some time), but maybe it could be better for the (average) individual?

What is the goal? More knowledge for knowledge itself, or more happiness? What if there is no final knowledge, just brick after brick? And why should human happiness be the measure of anything?

--------------------

Aldous Huxley

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #2247440 - 01/17/04 01:19 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I don't think the answer is more knowledge.
I think the answer is diversity, and that everyone embraces that diversity is the rhythm of life.

Then we can all get along, and continue learning on a new level.

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
    #2247477 - 01/17/04 01:36 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

SpecialEd said:
Assuming that intelligence, critical thinking, and knowledge aren't predominantly genetic...

I think the ability to learn certain things is determined by a genetic predisposition, some people are naturally adept at verbal skills, some at spatial skills, some at social skills, some with symbolic thinking such as mathematics, etc. However, critical thinking skills are a learned or adapted trait based on predispositions.

Quote:

Why are the majority of people dumb?

The majority of people are average, perhaps you are not.

Quote:

Why is the bookworm picked on in Junior High? Why are computer nerds ostrasized when digital technology is becoming an increasingly integral part of our lives?

I think the herd instinct has a lot to do with this. Also, people are intimidated by intelligence and their insecurities prompt them to ridicule people or things that they are unable to understand.

Quote:

How come every time I check a book out from the library the previous due date was in 1996?

Have you tried stealing library books?

Quote:

Why is MTV even in existance?

Art and entertainment are highly subjective.

Quote:

Why does Egdar Simpleton brag about how he barely passed high school in his drunken swagger?

Insecurity often manifests itself this way.

Quote:

Why is the gen pop mathematically and scientifically illiterate?

Public schools are designed along the mass production philosophy which predominated at the beginning of the industrial revolution and egalitarianism has infected the educational system to such an extent that curriculums are often 'dumbed down' in order to not offend the sensibilities of the intellectually challenged.

Quote:

Why does the intelligent quiet kid always have trouble fitting in to society?

There are different kinds of intelligence. Social intelligence is a particular kind, which seems to often be retarded in those who are mathematically or scientifically gifted. Perhaps we can think of people as being possessed of degrees and variations of 'idiot savant' characteristics when it comes to differing kinds of intelligence. Also, he may have numerous experiences with being misunderstood by those around him. This may lead him to withdraw from social interaction.

Quote:

Is not knowledge power?

Sometimes, sometimes it's just trivia.

Quote:

The greatest advesary of evil?

Morality and intellect do not go hand in hand.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Why are people dumb? [Re: Evolving]
    #2247491 - 01/17/04 01:46 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

evolvng iz smert

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: Why are people dumb? [Re: Shroomism]
    #2247513 - 01/17/04 01:58 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Shroomism is often more kind to others than they deserve (in that way, he is teacher by example).

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

#2247534 - 01/17/04 02:19 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Interesting answers thus far, but that's not quite what I'm getting at.

I think people avoid learning for the same reason a majority of people in this country are overweight and out of shape. They're lazy. It's too much work.

It doesn't make sense to me. The two things you get coming into this world are a mind and a body, why not keep them in good shape?

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #2247535 - 01/17/04 02:20 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Like you said, people are lazy. I'm lazy in my own way.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
    #2247539 - 01/17/04 02:23 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I do believe intelligence is both genetically controlled and environmentally influenced.

The answer to all of your questions is variation.

Any healthy population has variation on many different aspects. This variation helps the population to adjust to changes in its environment and situation.

I think that our ancestors have been bread to a certain degree to perpetuate those of lesser intelligence. This enables the few in power to more readily control the population. In the past, those who question authority have often been killed or repressed as they are a direct threat to authority.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology