Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesvshroomhead
Pill Popper
Male User Gallery
NW cyanescen hunting
    #2002598 - 10/12/03 02:11 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

hey all, i live up near bellingham and i've been out hunting for cyans a couple times this year, after no success last year. this year i really want to find some, im not after a whole bunch i really just want to pick my first psychoactive shroom. anyways....habitat questions follow.

i know to look in alder woodchips - places with water sprinklers ecspecially, but can i just venture out into the alder forest and be successful? i feel hopeless padding around in the leaves on the forest floor, there arent too many CHIPS, persay, but can i find them growing there? and im curious too, because ive seen plenty of pics of them growing in the grass.....so does that mean alder wood isnt even neccesary?

basically i just need some tips on PNW cyanescen habitats, what it looked like where you guys found em

thanks a lot for any help you can give....i havent given up yet

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisible@cro
new name
 User Gallery

Loc: The PNW
Re: NW cyanescen hunting [Re: svshroomhead]
    #2002646 - 10/12/03 02:33 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

It would be uncommon to find them on the forest floor but of course they grow there also. The reason people pick in alder chips is they will be concentrated in these areas and you success rate will go up dramatically. The pics of them in grass is either grass growing on woodchips or grass next to woodchips but the woodchips are neccesary. In the beginning of seasons or dry spells they will commonly be found in grass because it will hold in humidity better than just open woodchips but with the weather lately this is of little concern. Just keep looking they're out there.
Peace - @cro

--------------------

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: NW cyanescen hunting [Re: svshroomhead]
    #2002652 - 10/12/03 02:37 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

they are verry uncommon in thier natural/wild habitat so the woodland envornoment will not be the best choice.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Offlineazurescen
meanderinemushie muncher
Loc: bellingham wa
Re: NW cyanescen hunting [Re: canid]
    #2003428 - 10/12/03 08:04 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

the cyans are up in bham now, if you can learn the habitat you will find them.

--------------------
if the sign says dont pick the mushrooms, you should probably pick them

Offlineenemjay
human
Male User Gallery

Loc: WA Flag
Re: NW cyanescen hunting [Re: azurescen]
    #22472327 - 11/03/15 05:47 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

How do we know if the chiips are alder? Look for more bright and orangy chips? And would cyans prefer the fresher, more solid, chippy chips to say a more decomposed down bed of chips?

InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot
Loc: Flag
Re: NW cyanescen hunting [Re: enemjay]
    #22472410 - 11/03/15 06:04 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

I posted something similar in another thread if anyone can help us both please.

"I see people here saying to look for bright alder and others say avoid it and to look for older chips slightly under the soil. I've found inactives flourishing on both. I've spent hours upon hours every day for weeks now reading, I'd just like a little more knowledge."

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
    #22472428 - 11/03/15 06:07 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

The chips do not have to be alder. P. cyanescens and other woodloving psilocybes grow happily on Douglas fir and many other woods.

Fresher chips are preferable but must be old enough to have been colonized by the mushrooms so ones. The second and third year for doug fir landscaping for example are fairly perfect, as they are not over-decomposed but have had months to a year for the colony to expand and mature, and potentially a year further to become better established.

Also; 12 years is some serious thread necromancy. :P

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot
    #22472439 - 11/03/15 06:08 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

Ironically a lot of the most helpful threads I've found here for hunting actives are 10 or more years old for uncommon questions. Seems now that the Internet exploded this forum has become vastly different.

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
Re: NW cyanescen hunting [Re: Adden]
    #22472444 - 11/03/15 06:10 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

You do not need the landscaping to have older chips beneath, though this indicates that what mushrooms were already living in it before the new chips were laid have fresh substrate and may be well refreshed by it.

The fact is that even brand new landscaping is often already contaminated with mushroom mycellium and Psilocybe cubensis, P. allenii, etc seem not to be rare among them. You might not go at all wrong either way.

--------------------

InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot
    #22472462 - 11/03/15 06:14 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

Thank you lots!

Offlineenemjay
human
Male User Gallery

#22472463 - 11/03/15 06:14 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Dys said:
Seems now that the Internet exploded this forum has become vastly different.

That would explain the slim pickings around seattle this year- where ever i go is see dug up patches. TOO MANY PPL KNOW! :P

Edited by enemjay (11/03/15 06:41 PM)

InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot
    #22472467 - 11/03/15 06:16 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

There's a park near me that is being consistently dug up. It makes me sick. Not only because it's right down the road, but also that they're being greedy while harming nature. I hate that facet of certain personalities. You know, it doesn't take a lot of work once you have the myc, people just want instant gratification with no work.

Offlineenemjay
human
Male User Gallery

#22472626 - 11/03/15 06:47 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Dys said:
There's a park near me that is being consistently dug up. It makes me sick. Not only because it's right down the road, but also that they're being greedy while harming nature. I hate that facet of certain personalities. You know, it doesn't take a lot of work once you have the myc, people just want instant gratification with no work.

Lol, I was in a park a couple a days ago, heading back to where I'd spotted a few cyans recently and couldn't find 'em - was like "what the heck!" then I heard a little ways off this "yahoo!!!" cry. I made my way on over there and saw these new-agey type fellas, one with a mandala sewn to the back of his jacket and another with dreads who was holding a wicker picnic basket. They'd obviously found what I was looking for. Lol, nobody has ownership of these babies but I couldn't help but feel the human in me saying "i hope they eat a galerina..." I know, I know... Of course I don't want that. Just wish I'd be having better luck. Slim pickin's... Slim pickin's...

Edited by enemjay (11/03/15 06:51 PM)

InvisibleMr Piggy
Big Dick Retard
 User Gallery

#22472693 - 11/03/15 06:56 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

canid said:
...often already contaminated with mushroom mycellium and Psilocybe cubensis cyanescens, P. allenii, etc seem not to be rare among them.

fify :wink:

Type about mushrooms too many times and autopilot kicks in, been there.

Just scan the chips as you walk through a park.  It's difficult to tell what they are, and they are often mixed species.  After a few finds you start to get a feel for their habitat.  Took me a few years to find em myself, now I can almost point to them from the entrance.

--------------------
🅃🄴🄰🄼 🄵🄾🄸🄻

Offlineenemjay
human
Male User Gallery

#22472713 - 11/03/15 06:59 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Dys said:
Ironically a lot of the most helpful threads I've found here for hunting actives are 10 or more years old for uncommon questions.

I'd rather tac on my question to pre-existing thread than start up a whole new one... Is there a preference there? Start a new one rather than necromancy?

InvisibleMr Piggy
Big Dick Retard
 User Gallery

#22472751 - 11/03/15 07:06 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

Resurrecting old threads is generally frowned upon.

--------------------
🅃🄴🄰🄼 🄵🄾🄸🄻

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
Re: NW cyanescen hunting [Re: Mr Piggy]
    #22472860 - 11/03/15 07:22 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Mr Piggy said:
Quote:

canid said:
...often already contaminated with mushroom mycellium and Psilocybe cubensis cyanescens, P. allenii, etc seem not to be rare among them.

fify :wink:

Type about mushrooms too many times and autopilot kicks in, been there.

Just scan the chips as you walk through a park.  It's difficult to tell what they are, and they are often mixed species.  After a few finds you start to get a feel for their habitat.  Took me a few years to find em myself, now I can almost point to them from the entrance.

Hahaha. Thanks. I would never have noticed.

--------------------

Invisiblecandry
Stranger
Male
Loc: WA, USA
    #22472906 - 11/03/15 07:30 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

Something to maybe keep in mind too: what looks like really old wood chips may once have been beauty bark instead - which is not optimal territory for cyans.

Speaking from my experience in landscaping: beauty bark tends to have wood fragments attached to the pieces, and the bark portions disintegrate sooner than the wood does. After a few years, it can look like old wood chips scattered atop soil. My own yard is full of such places, and it was all bark.

You may be able to tell by examining the top soil layer: decomposed bark mulch is brown to brownish-black, highly fibrous, and when soaking wet, you can squeeze water out of it with a tight fist.

Old mulch that was actually wood chips will appear similar from above, but when you examine the soil, it's mostly just regular soil. All three cyan patches that I've found in parks were growing in substrate like this, not bark and not fresh chips.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck