Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offline#1 stunna
wanderer
Is it detrimental and/or pointless to consume old mushrooms?
    #2233592 - 01/10/04 05:03 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I just went to an old spot today where I had left little baby pins to grow up into adults for picking later. Unfortunately, I waited too long and once I returned, they were all pretty much past their prime. My question is: Is it possible to harm myself eating old mushrooms, or have the chemicals deteriorated to such a point that I won't get much out of it?

The shrooms I picked are almost completely blue and some have been halfway eaten by some pesky lifeform. I just want to know if I can still go on a journey and come out fine on the other end.

Thank you all! It's great to have such a wonderful support group.

--------------------
respect

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
Re: Is it detrimental and/or pointless to consume old mushrooms? [Re: #1 stunna]
    #2233793 - 01/10/04 07:01 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I have eaten old shrooms w/ no noticeable problems.

I think the largest risk you take involves the colonisation of the fruit with other organisms such as bacteria and insects...some of which may cause problems. Usually drying the fruit will render some of the aforementioned harmless...but as you may have heard, "There are no guarantees in life."

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

Offlineorizon
shroomin bliss

Re: Is it detrimental and/or pointless to consume old mushrooms? [Re: #1 stunna]
    #2233821 - 01/10/04 07:32 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

You can get sick from eating rotten shrooms but food poisoning at the worst and not any kind of rendered "chemical toxin"....its a fine line between consumable and inconsublabe but if you still want to purse these puppies, I recommend drying till crisp (properly of course) and then stick in the freezer over night to ensure any bacteria is dead. However, under no circumstances stick them in freezer while still wet.

Offlinefloccopus
d-fractionated

Loc: valley
Re: Is it detrimental and/or pointless to consume old mushro [Re: #1 stunna]
    #2234142 - 01/11/04 12:27 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

ahhhh,  what to do?

these guys have got you covered.  i would only add :  dried ,  then made into chocolate beverage or tea...  i like the dried, frozen, then cooked idea the best.

i have eaten hundreds of pounds of mushrooms and not been made sick by them.  (well, maybe once i  did get food poisoning, and no matter what gave it to me, i NEVER want to have it happen again.  especially if i'm intoxicated, to boot) :lol:<---- this guy eats shrooms too.

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: Is it detrimental and/or pointless to consume old mushrooms? [Re: orizon]
    #2234343 - 01/11/04 04:00 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

...food poisoning at the worst and not any kind of rendered "chemical toxin"...

first of all, certain food poisonings can kill you.

second of all, in most types of food poisonging, it is a toxin [or several] produced by the microorganism that makes you ill, eg. bodtulins.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Offlineorizon
shroomin bliss

Re: Is it detrimental and/or pointless to consume old mushrooms? [Re: canid]
    #2234387 - 01/11/04 04:57 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Ok technically I guess the food poisoning chemicals would be of course be classified as toxic but I think the poster was referring to more devastating mushroom related toxins that he believed could have been converted from the already existing elements within the shroom....or atleast thats how I interpretted his question. I know that there are some types of "food poisoning" that can be deadly but as far as the food poisoning aquired from the result of rotted shrooms, I have never heard of any cases being deadly. I may be wrong on this one as well but the only shroom related deaths I am aware of are those in which an accidental injestion of a "poisonous" specimen occurs. Not poisonous as in compounds produced from rotting, but chemicals existing within the psyiology of the shroom such as amantoxins.
Just as a side note concretefeet, I will always welcome corrections when I am wrong (or even criticism if my response is misleading) but citing my reply for minute non-related technicality errors I dont think are always necessary especially considering my notion can be understood to its correct effect. Saying that there are food poisonings that exist which can kill you apart from the one's we are reffering to is almost as technical as citing me for gramatical errors. Dont take this as me snappin back for I know you werent flamin at me but its almost like your trying to search for specific mistakes in my reply to make it sound incorrect.

And to the #1 stunner...my suggestions were only suggestive measures to decrease your chances of becoming sick, not necessaringly elimia ting them.

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: Is it detrimental and/or pointless to consume old mushrooms? [Re: orizon]
    #2235207 - 01/11/04 05:44 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

i'm sorry for once more disagreeing with you to the extent that i feel that i have to interject, but:

when yuo are telling people that there's nothing the worry about, it's just food poisoning then you are breaking therules of the forum. my intention was not to contradict you specificaly, but to help make sure that nobody is giving dangerous advice.

yu ought to know by now that i am the kind of person who will value the physical wellbeing of other people over the hurt feelings of one person, even if i have to appologise for it later.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Offline#1 stunna
wanderer
Thanks guys [Re: canid]
    #2247122 - 01/16/04 08:30 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Hey, thank you all for replying...I have dried the old mushrooms completely using desecant and now they're in the freezer. I like tea, so boiling them when I'm ready sounds even better to help sterilize the mushrooms and kill off any harmful bacteria and such. Thank you again!

--------------------
respect

Offline#1 stunna
wanderer
aaaand.... [Re: orizon]
    #2247131 - 01/16/04 08:33 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

and I'm a her too  :grin:

--------------------
respect

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
Re: Thanks guys [Re: #1 stunna]
    #2247532 - 01/17/04 12:16 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Don't boil them, steep them IMO.

You'll have to use twice the quanity if you boil them. I do suppose it might be safer though.

Gluck!

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom