Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Powder   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MushCult - Live Mushroom Cultures Black morel (Morchella importuna) live culture on agar   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Seeds Store Buy Cannabis Seeds, CBD Compare   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Paul Stamets, Portable Greenhouse, Rye Grain, Scales, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinespleef
Stranger
Auto-Fanning Terrariums
    #22471154 - 11/03/15 03:40 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Put together these auto-fanning terrariums with some computer fans I had laying around:

I plan on building 8 of these altogether. I already have the terrariums themselves I just need to get the computer fans, then I'll have them send fan speed data back to an arduino or something.

Does anybody have experience using anything like this? Should I push fresh air in through the top like I'm doing here, or would pulling it out of the bottom work better? My only concern is the fan maybe drying out the casing. So far I've only had tiny little baby fruits on the cake I put in there but it was cased late and may have been a problem cake to begin with. Comments, tips, and advice are all welcome!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleInocuole
Scalpel of Evil's Bane
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ★
Re: Auto-Fanning Terrariums [Re: spleef]
    #22471173 - 11/03/15 03:44 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Why not just put holes in a tub or.. leave the lid ajar?

Fans absolutely will dry out a casing layer.

--------------------
                            :rainbowdrink: Tea doesn't work?                            AMU  (Q & A)                  Grain prep for Intergalactic Space Oats :pes:     

Coir-ca-cola
Hall of Shame: ShroominMe, bennylava, tradal, BUlllEG, Shroomsh, hostileuniverse, hyundaitiburon1993, brendon, Ego Matrix, takitezsdc, DMTree, Morelman
Jokes are funny until they're about you

Offlinespleef
Stranger
Re: Auto-Fanning Terrariums [Re: Inocuole]
    #22471229 - 11/03/15 03:56 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Correct me if I'm wrong but FAE is needed to induce fruiting, correct? And you need to exchange CO2 for fresh air at some point at least once during the day at a minimum to have healthy fruits, correct? Manually fanning 8 tubs every day is a pain in the ass, all I'm trying to do is maintain FAE exactly like you would by manually opening them up and fanning them every day. Unless you don't fan your tubs at all?

The two tubs are just a prototype to get the timing and speed of the fan dialed in so I can scale it up to 8 of them. The fans are on a programmable timer and speed controlled. If it's drying them out, I can just reduce the speed and/or the frequency and duration the fan comes on, or I can place it at the bottom of the tub so it pumps CO2 out rather than blowing fresh air in. Currently it is "blowing" so gently you can barely feel it, and it only comes on every two hours for 10 minutes.

Offlinemushpunx
Fungus Punk

#22471267 - 11/03/15 04:07 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Fanning does not give FAE. Fanning is only meant to kickstart evaporation off the substrate after a misting, and its actually pretty pointless. No real need to fan manually ever.

But it really confuses people.

A fruiting chamber needs to find a balance. It should allow as much frequent air exchange as possible without drying the substrate out.

I use monotubs usually. They use holes for FAE stuffed with polyfill, with the tightness adjusted, to do the balancing. It holds in as much humidity as possible while letting in as much FAE as possible.
They never need misting, or fanning.

If you are using cakes you are most likely need to mist no matter what. Its just a fact of life for cakes. Time has proven the SGFC to be the most practical for cakes.

Bulk substrates are big enough to provide thier own humidity and therefore can be used in fruiting chambers like monotubs.

Alternatively you can grow in open air and mist all day, or use a greenhouse with humidifiers.

--------------------

Amateur Mycologists United

AMU Q & A

Edited by mushpunx (11/03/15 04:09 PM)

Offlinemushpunx
Fungus Punk

Re: Auto-Fanning Terrariums [Re: mushpunx]
    #22471291 - 11/03/15 04:14 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Why are you fanning 8 tubs anyways? If you don't have any holes, or don't leave the lid cracked you could fan those tubs 20 times a day and still have big lack FAE problems with your fruits dude, because fanning doesnt provide FAE.

How are you doing your grows? Bulk substrate in a big tray / tub with lid?

Look up monotub, and dub tub, or build a greenhouse. You will thank me. A 5$ bag of pillow stuffing might solve all your problems

--------------------

AMU Q & A

InvisibleInocuole
Scalpel of Evil's Bane

Folding@home Statistics
    #22471294 - 11/03/15 04:15 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

I don't fan anything ever.  I put holes in it and walk away.

--------------------
                            :rainbowdrink: Tea doesn't work?                            AMU  (Q & A)                  Grain prep for Intergalactic Space Oats :pes:     

Coir-ca-cola
Hall of Shame: ShroominMe, bennylava, tradal, BUlllEG, Shroomsh, hostileuniverse, hyundaitiburon1993, brendon, Ego Matrix, takitezsdc, DMTree, Morelman

Offlinespleef
Stranger
    #22471326 - 11/03/15 04:27 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Ya, rye seed to a manure/straw/coir mix in those black trays. I spawn my bulk mix in the black trays, cover them with foil, punch some holes in 'em, and let 'em run through in the same cabinet I do my jars in. Then two weeks later or so I case them, give them another week, take the foil off and move them to the terrariums in the closet. The most recent ones I lost track of and cased late though I should have just let them pin out with no casing

Offlinetripdawg420
low life with no life
Male

Loc: illinois
    #22471334 - 11/03/15 04:29 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

fan your tubs i see w bunch of monos with no fruits i can show u countless monos exploding from fanning they may not need it but the will give you better fruits :thumbup:

--------------------
HUSTLER
How U Survive This Life Everyday Resourcefully
epic GT mono tub
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/17277772

wbs tek
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11525679
coir tek
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11917410
results :thumbup:

Offlinemushpunx
Fungus Punk

#22471358 - 11/03/15 04:33 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

spleef said:
Quote:

Ya, rye seed to a manure/straw/coir mix in those black trays. I spawn my bulk mix in the black trays, cover them with foil, punch some holes in 'em, and let 'em run through in the same cabinet I do my jars in. Then two weeks later or so I case them, give them another week, take the foil off and move them to the terrariums in the closet. The most recent ones I lost track of and cased late though I should have just let them pin out with no casing

Well then next time you should try spawning in the monotubs like my photo there.

You could probably just set those trays inside a monotub if they fit right. But the sterile tubs are su per convienent, theyre cheap, clear, stackable.
You never have to mist or fan. Most you need to do is adjust the polyfill from time to time but once you get the hang of dialing in tubs you wont even need to do that.

The holes stay taped up u ntill you fruit, then the tape comes off poly goes in.

--------------------

AMU Q & A

Offlinespleef
Stranger
    #22471377 - 11/03/15 04:38 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

mushpunx said:
Why are you fanning 8 tubs anyways? If you don't have any holes, or don't leave the lid cracked you could fan those tubs 20 times a day and still have big lack FAE problems with your fruits dude, because fanning doesnt provide FAE.

You can see plainly in my pics I have holes in my tubs, in exactly the same places yours are, I'm simply using foam plugs instead of polyfill and I'm using black trays inside my tub instead of the bottom of the tub itself. I decided on that method because I don't have enough space to keep the entire tub in the dark, this way I can do the spawn run in a smaller space and constantly have tubs on rotation.

I simply thought fanning was needed to clear out accumulated CO2. I have already yielded multiple pounds with this set up but I was opening the tubs two or three times a day and fanning them out. Stamets even has a section about how often air should be circulated. It obviously didn't harm them because I had great yields and that's why I was simply attempting to automate something I was doing anyway.

If it isn't needed then well that's why I'm here asking so I can continue to refine my process and learn from more experienced growers.

Offlinetripdawg420
low life with no life
Male

Loc: illinois
    #22471391 - 11/03/15 04:40 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

yes keep doing what u r doing no need for a real fan stuck on the tub :thumbup:

--------------------
HUSTLER
How U Survive This Life Everyday Resourcefully
epic GT mono tub
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/17277772

wbs tek
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11525679
coir tek
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11917410
results :thumbup:

InvisibleInocuole
Scalpel of Evil's Bane

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Auto-Fanning Terrariums [Re: tripdawg420] * 1
    #22471399 - 11/03/15 04:41 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

There is no accumulated CO2 if you have enough FAE.

--------------------

Coir-ca-cola

Offlinespleef
Stranger
    #22471409 - 11/03/15 04:42 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

The holes stay taped up u ntill you fruit, then the tape comes off poly goes in.

I have two big blue ones I'm doing exactly this with, but I never opened them to fan them and they only produced like 4 big ass monster fruits a piece. Don't get me wrong by weight it was an impressive yield one fruit was 16gr dry but it just looked to me like they were starved for oxygen, since from my reading I thought that's what they do when they're being smothered with CO2, is send out a few smaller fruits that bulk up and grow all crazy looking for air.

I would much rather just do the bottoms of the clear tubs but I wasn't sure of a way to do it where I can keep them dark until spawn run is finished. What do you do with yours?

Offlinespleef
Stranger
    #22471414 - 11/03/15 04:43 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

I liked this idea too I was going to put arduino controlled leds in there along with the fans it was going to look pretty badass. I'm a little sad to be honest but I'd rather have the best quality yields lol

InvisibleKalistis
 User Gallery

#22471425 - 11/03/15 04:45 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Why do you need to keep them dark? While my tubs are colonizing they are on a normal light cycle. Pinning is not triggered by light.

--------------------

InvisibleKalistis
 User Gallery

Re: Auto-Fanning Terrariums [Re: Kalistis]
    #22471446 - 11/03/15 04:49 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

And just a simple monotub setup works well. It just needs to be dialed in right. No fans or misting required. Yields are good.

--------------------

Offlinespleef
Stranger
    #22471479 - 11/03/15 04:55 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Why do you need to keep them dark?

Why is everything I thought I knew about mushrooms apparently wrong? lol...

I thought pinning was triggered by a combination of FAE and light. So I keep mine in the dark until they're ready for fruiting. So why do I often read to use black trays to avoid side pinning and that's also why mycology supply companies carry black trays is to prevent light penetration? You're telling me I could just spawn directly to the bottoms of clear tubs and let them colonize in the same space I'm fruiting in because the light doesn't matter?

InvisibleInocuole
Scalpel of Evil's Bane

Folding@home Statistics
    #22471484 - 11/03/15 04:56 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

A clear liner prevents side pins better than a black tray.

Quote:

Kalistis said:
And just a simple monotub setup works well. It just needs to be dialed in right. No fans or misting required. Yields are good.

Shhh just let them have their thing, I already tried.

--------------------

Coir-ca-cola

Offlinespleef
Stranger
    #22471495 - 11/03/15 04:59 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

A clear liner prevents side pins better than a black tray.

Do you have a link to a tek you could share? I have a batch of rye jars almost done and I'd rather do them in a way that lets me utilize the entire cropping surface available, rather than those black trays which are tiny in comparison.

InvisibleInocuole
Scalpel of Evil's Bane

Folding@home Statistics
    #22471622 - 11/03/15 05:24 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Not... sure I understand your intentions with the way you phrased that.  It's really as simple as putting a trash bag in your tub, filling it up with substrate, and trimming the edges of the bag so they don't cover the top of the substrate by folding over.

Not sure about teks, for different sized tubs I just use different sized trash bags.  I have one size tub and one size bag in particular where the bag doesn't need any trimming at all to work for the tub.  Those bags are white, and work the same as black or clear ones.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/21052836

That covers the idea though.  Liners sticking to the substrate both prevents sidepins and greatly reduces overall moisture loss.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Powder   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MushCult - Live Mushroom Cultures Black morel (Morchella importuna) live culture on agar   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Seeds Store Buy Cannabis Seeds, CBD Compare   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Paul Stamets, Portable Greenhouse, Rye Grain, Scales, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation