Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflinePHARMAKOS
addict
school or self education?
    #2246949 - 01/16/04 06:51 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

hey guys help me out with this 'dilemma'
now im in an unusual situation with school. My school is great. The teachers, the dean, the general atmosphere is open minded and supportive and laid back. That being said i feel like most of my classes are a total waste of time, in that they either teach me things i have no interest in knowing, teach me nothing AT ALL or , if its a subject im actually interested in they teach it at an insufferably slow pace and i feel like by the end of the year ive learned less about say psychology or philosophy than in one hour of independent reading (this is the worst of all) . Now, at my school there is no maximum skip rule, and essentially you can graduate without attending any classes as long as you email in assignments and come for tests and exams. This is not supported but the idea is that sense you pay for it its up to you if you come and do well or skip and fail. However, i find myself with a. the best marks ive ever had in my life and b. an insane abscence record (up to 40% in many classes) . this means im only there like once in every 2 or 3 classses. And yet ive recieved 2 letters of commendation from the dean and am on my way to a scholarship (yay!) now the point of this post is not to brag. I want to know if you think i should curb this maladaptive skipping habit in case it becomes a problem in later life when it is no longer an option to just stay home and do what i want or if i should take full advantage of this perhaps once in a lifetime oppurtunity to pursue my OWN interests, read what I want, exercise, meditate (and of course blaze and watch south park) etc when my peers are rotting in pointless classes. I honestly try to make full use of my 'stolen' time to really work on MY goals like reading philosophy, getting in better shape and achieving inner peace, among others, but some people tell me im on a bad course. I occasionally feel guilty because some of my teachers are really great people and i feel like im insulting them by not showing up. On the other hand if i can get honour roll marks and still have all the time in the world for my own interests, should i not take advantage?

whats your honest oppinion? (i think this is the right forum for this?)
and more than in my case, do you feel its better to succeed in school or to learn on your own? often school makes you jump through alot of pointless hoops for approval from people in no real poosition to be judging you , and yet without that approval you can get into some trouble in later life. whaddaya think?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
Re: school or self education? [Re: PHARMAKOS]
    #2246979 - 01/16/04 07:02 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

play their games and beat them on their own turf.

never stop learning, but always remember who you are.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: school or self education? [Re: DoctorJ]
    #2247034 - 01/16/04 07:37 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Agree with DoctoJ

Sounds like you are in a position to go to school AND learn on your own with lots of free time. Take advantage.

--------------------

OfflineScarfmeister
Thrill Seeker
Loc: The will to power
Re: school or self education? [Re: Shroomism]
    #2247185 - 01/16/04 08:55 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

I hate math! maybe i should have skipped learning math and instead focused on history and other subjects of interest? Think not. School is fucking boring but all you can do is to stick with the plan.

I dont like to study and read, in-fact i was always kind of bad in school. Yet despite all that I'm still pursuing my law degree. The way i see it either you go with the flow or end up a miserable bum.

--------------------
--------------------
We're the lowest of the low, the scum of the fucking earth!

OfflinePHARMAKOS
addict
Re: school or self education? [Re: Scarfmeister]
    #2247210 - 01/16/04 09:08 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

"either go with the flow or end up a miserable bum" LOL thats both sad and funny. I think alot of very miserable people are miserable for exactly that belief, needing to define their own standards of success based on societys pressures. You can go with the flow all you want but until your happy with yourself you.. well.. wont be happy. My brother bummed his way through school. as soon as he graduated he took of for mexico. there he took acid on the pyramids and god knows what else. From mexico it was india, thailand, and on and on. He heard the dalai lama speak. He did alot of whacky drugs. i can only guess what else. Then he went to new york , fell madly in love and became a succesfull model. Now he lives with his girlfreind (an amazing person) sits around playing guitar and making (quite excellent) music and generally does what the fuck he wants (as he as always done). he most definetly did not go with the flow. he most definetly is not a miserable bum.

on the other hand i know ALOT of people who did go with the flow, got degrees, work as lawyers, airplan technicians, you name it. They got a house with a white picket fence and got married. They go to church on sundays. They are some of the most unhappy people i know. Alcoholics, tv junkies, come home from another day at the mill crash on the couch and lie there getting fat. Neither of these cases are absolute rules. You can go with the flow and be happy, but only if your doing it for your own reasons, not just because someone told you it was right.

your oppinion makes me sick and sad quite frankly (or would if i really cared about other peoples oppinions  :grin: ) and has alot to do with whats wrong with this world

OfflineAsco
Explorer of theMind

Loc: Montreal
    #2247214 - 01/16/04 09:11 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah school is needed in order to have an occupatino in life ( a job) and survive.

Self education you can do that your whole life but won't get credit for it.
Back up your futur by finishing school ( you can still self-educate yourself at the same time).

OfflinePHARMAKOS
addict
Re: school or self education? [Re: Asco]
    #2247257 - 01/16/04 09:40 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

keep in mind im not talking about dropping out of school, i realise the importance of marks in todays society. If your read my post im actually asking if , in lieu of the fact that my marks ARE good and i AM going to finish school, should i attend classes that i feel are a waste of my time?
if this was any of the other schools ive been at i would probably say you have no choice but to stick it out (although, some of those schools were REALLY fascisty and i might have dropped out or gone crazy)

Invisiblemuhurgle
Turtles all theway down

#2247260 - 01/16/04 09:44 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Pretty drunk right now, so I didn't bother reading the whole thread.. you might be asking for something else.

I'm inches away from a respected (ha!) university degree.. I could just as well have educated myself. There is nothing my teachers and professors have taught me that I couldn't have taught myself. I say this with certainty because I haven't attended a lecture for the last three years (almost) and I'm still doing fine exam wise.

But as Asco says, it doesn't matter how well educated you actually are. If you're applying for a job, what matters is the degree in your papers. This is the cold harsh truth. If your credentials are right, then you can get an opportunity for an interview and only then you can demonstrate what you really know (perhaps).

What I'm starting to wonder is, why bother? If there is little meaning to anything (my opinion of course), there can't be much meaning to social things like jobs etc. Either you're a scientist or a philosopher, or you're a fucking wage slawe. If that's the case, then why not utilise what you can learn here, or on owergrown, and make some nice big bucks. And at the same time you get more free time to learn what you really want to learn. That sounds really nice..

edit: sp

--------------------
"To make this mundane world sublime
Take half a gram of phanerothyme."

Aldous Huxley

Edited by muhurgle (01/16/04 09:50 PM)

OfflinePHARMAKOS
addict
Re: school or self education? [Re: muhurgle]
    #2247287 - 01/16/04 10:01 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

agree totally
as a way to blend my self education and my school education i took to reading neitchze on my long bus rides to and from school
one day i had been waiting for a bus to take me to school and was reading from the philosophy of neitchze. Just as the bus pulled around the corner i read 'if a man does not have more than two thirds of his day to himself, than he is no more than slave.' the essence was that life is fleeting, and money insubstantial. That any man would trade time for money just shows how unable we are to judge the true value of things.

I turned around and walked home

InvisibletrendalM
Jâ™ 
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
    #2247934 - 01/17/04 07:08 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

My honest opinion?

Use your time for your benefit! Some of us just have a nack for speed-learning...we don't have to sit through class (which moves SO slow!) to learn everything that is taught. We learn better on our own!

I would say, make a schedule of sorts! Figure out one class a week or so for each subject that you think would be best to attend...and do so. Just make sure you continue to get those assignments in and do well on the tests! Try and keep a constant knowledge of what your marks are, so if you see them beginning to slip for any reason start going to more classes as required :smile:

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Loc: : Gringo
    #2247952 - 01/17/04 07:23 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Let me guess, everyone who posted here is a liberal arts major. :lol:

Well, yeah, that is an easy major. :lol:

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
-- :meff:
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

InvisiblejohnB`
Mountaineer
Loc: The Rocky Mountains
    #2248003 - 01/17/04 08:55 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

http://ishmael.com/Education/Writings/unschooling.shtml

If you have some time to spare, I suggest reading the above article. It might shed some new light on your situation.

OfflinePHARMAKOS
addict
Re: school or self education? [Re: johnB`]
    #2248241 - 01/17/04 11:47 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

hey JohnB thanks a lot for the link man! great article, and i imediatly added the website to my favourites. Ishmael is one of my favourite books. i dont think ive seen you around here before?

OfflineBleaK
paradox
    #2249596 - 01/18/04 01:01 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

--------------------
"You cannot trust in law, unless you can trust in people. If you can trust in people, you don't need law." -J. Mumma

OfflineScarfmeister
Thrill Seeker
Loc: The will to power
    #2250040 - 01/18/04 07:57 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Pharmakos you are obviously still just a confused kid. Just because i choose to conform to society's standard to some degree doesn't mean my life is empty and void of meaning. That is a major misconception i see all the time.

School is hard work but most of the time its also allot of fun. Great parties, good friends and nice girls. Not to mention all the spare time i have to pursue my real interests. I have lots and lots of Holiday's and i have lectures at most three days a week.

Most of the time i do whatever the fuck i want. I have traveled more then most people i know and done more crazy shit than any of you punks. Personally i think you are a sad disillusioned little kid looking for the easy way out.

But hey! maybe you to can work as a model in New York some day lol!

--------------------
--------------------
We're the lowest of the low, the scum of the fucking earth!

Invisiblemuhurgle
Turtles all theway down

Re: school or self education? [Re: Scarfmeister]
    #2250063 - 01/18/04 08:25 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Instead of really trying to explain why that's a major misconception, you berate and insult him. Maybe you're just afraid of admitting to yourself that you live in a state of self deceit? Try asking yourself why you're so aggressive towards such ideas. Hardly constructive, now is it?

Saying that you still have time for parties, girls and your real interests isn't an explanation. You're just saying that life with school isn't any less hedonistic than life without.

I conform big time to society. People around me rate me as successful. However, I'm not afraid to say that it is all bullshit. There is no meaning whatsoever to my life. That's not to say that there would be any more meaning if I were pursuing some other lifestyle, for example one that would be rated as less successful by society.

--------------------
"To make this mundane world sublime
Take half a gram of phanerothyme."

Aldous Huxley

OfflinePHARMAKOS
addict
Re: school or self education? [Re: muhurgle]
    #2250275 - 01/18/04 11:02 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

heres a question for the rest of you guys, having read his original post "either go with a flow or end up a miserable bum" , and also my response to that post (in which i simply tried to point out that that kind of ridiculous over genralisation ends at least as many people in despair as those who dont go with the flow) , and finally the last of shroomnobs posts, in which it was made painfully clear that i am in fact just "a sad dissilusioned little punk"

is it even worth responding to this jackass? or should i save my breath for those who have something to say and can say it coherently, without resorting to flames and put downs?
:rolleyes:

OfflinePHARMAKOS
addict
    #2250324 - 01/18/04 11:22 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

shroomnob i dont know if you even read my post very thouroughly. I never said anything about your life being devoid of meaning because you go to school. Its very simple in fact. I said that going with the flow will not gaurantee you happiness, and not going with the flow will not gaurantee that you will become a miserable bum. For some reason that was very offensive to you, and you responded with alot of unnescessary insults. read my reply again. Read the whole thread again, if you really care that much, take a deep breath, and chill out

Offlinenubious
1up on the rest

Loc: Canada
    #2250531 - 01/18/04 01:24 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Asco said:
Yeah school is needed in order to have an occupatino in life ( a job) and survive.

Self education you can do that your whole life but won't get credit for it.
Back up your futur by finishing school ( you can still self-educate yourself at the same time).

I'd have to both agree and disagree...  If you can teach yourself enough to produce some sort of product (be it writing books, programming applications, or building things on your own, like say, an outhouse), and you can put that product on your resume, then you're golden.  Who would YOU hire in this situation: A guy who has spent the last 4 years in school to get a degree in language arts, or a guy (pardon my sexism) who over the last 4 years has written 3 books, been published once, and succesfully been accepted in the literature community as having an outstanding opinion?

I suppose non-certified-genius isn't recognized in our time of consumerism, only because most are certified-non-genius.  :wink:

--------------------
No one knows the worth of innocence till he knows it is gone forever, and that money can't buy it back. Not the saint, but the sinner that repenteth, is he to whom the full length and breadth, and height and depth, of life's meaning is revealed. Good and evil loose all objective meaning and are seen as equally necessary and contrasting elements in the masterpiece that is the universe.

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #2250592 - 01/18/04 01:55 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

PHARMAKOS said:
That being said i feel like most of my classes are a total waste of time, in that they either teach me things i have no interest in knowing, teach me nothing AT ALL or , if its a subject im actually interested in they teach it at an insufferably slow pace and i feel like by the end of the year ive learned less about say psychology or philosophy than in one hour of independent reading (this is the worst of all) .

I hated sitting in classes, too, for the same reasons you state.  Slow, and I couldn't retain the information, or they repeated the information I derived from the books. 

Law school was a good example of this.  It was so boring to sit in class, when they were just repeating everything I had read in the text book.

Quote:

Now, at my school there is no maximum skip rule, and essentially you can graduate without attending any classes as long as you email in assignments and come for tests and exams. This is not supported but the idea is that sense you pay for it its up to you if you come and do well or skip and fail. However, i find myself with a. the best marks ive ever had in my life and b. an insane abscence record (up to 40% in many classes) . this means im only there like once in every 2 or 3 classses. And yet ive recieved 2 letters of commendation from the dean and am on my way to a scholarship (yay!) now the point of this post is not to brag.

We had a limit on how many classes we could miss in law school.  Could only miss 2 classes or be dropped.  So I bought a lap top during my second year and played backgammon during class.  I think I played a total of 8,000 games during law classes. 

But I passed.  I'm am the type of learner that learns best by "self-teaching".  I read the books, make notes, write the rules a few times, and I've got it.  Sitting in class was a waste of time.  I didn't take a bar review course before the bar exam because it would have been a waste of time for me.

Quote:

I want to know if you think i should curb this maladaptive skipping habit in case it becomes a problem in later life when it is no longer an option to just stay home and do what i want or if i should take full advantage of this perhaps once in a lifetime oppurtunity to pursue my OWN interests, read what I want, exercise, meditate (and of course blaze and watch south park) etc when my peers are rotting in pointless classes.  I honestly try to make full use of my 'stolen' time to really work on MY goals like reading philosophy, getting in better shape and achieving inner peace, among others, but some people tell me im on a bad course. I occasionally feel guilty because some of my teachers are really great people and i feel like im insulting them by not showing up. On the other hand if i can get honour roll marks and still have all the time in the world for my own interests, should i not take advantage?

As I stated above, I still graduated from law school and became an attorney.  If you are doing well in the manner in which you are approaching your lessons, then I don't see any need to change.

Some people need the disclipine of classes, or they learn better by listening.  Other learn better by reading and writing.  As long as you are doing well, why change. 

You sound like an ADDer to me.  :grin:

Quote:

do you feel its better to succeed in school or to learn on your own? often school makes you jump through alot of pointless hoops for approval from people in no real poosition to be judging you , and yet without that approval you can get into some trouble in later life. whaddaya think?

What I noticed is that there are people who learn better by going to class.  This would be most people.  This can cause one to feel that if he/she doesn't do it the same way, he/she is not going to succeed.  Don't change your style unless you notice your grades are slipping.  Then make adjustments.

What I also noticed, especially as an undergraduate, is that people are more focused on academia.  I don't know if I'm using the right word. 

Kissing ass, because someone wants a teaching position, or wants approval from an instructor because the student plans to be an instructor, or wants a letter of recommendation for a graduate school. 

Keep in mind your goals, and then adjust or maintain your style, accordingly.  Don't be distracted by the way "everyone else" does it.  "Everyone else" is not you.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order