Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSmalltowntexan
Stranger
Found on some TX cow patties yesterday, need help ID'ing, please
    #22466362 - 11/02/15 01:45 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

Hey everyone, this is my first post, so I really do appreciate any info or help!

Habitat:
Found these in south central Texas growing in a cow patty out in a field (the field was full of them!) We've had a good bit of rain these past few days, so the field was pretty moist, high humidity, and our temperature has been mostly between 60-80.

Gills:
The gills are mostly very dark. Hard to distinguish if they are purple or black.

Stem:
Stems tend to be from 2"-5", beige colored, 'stringy' when torn, perhaps a 1/4" to 1/2" thick. But they do not bruise at all when pinched or broken.

Cap:
Diameter ranges from 1" to 3", most being around 2". They are a dull beige with hints of yellow/gold. Some definitely are darker, but I think that is from spores dropping. The smaller they are the more bell/dome shaped, but the larger they get the flatter they become.

Spore print color:
It's tricky... Hard to distinguish between black or very very dark purple. It seems as if there is some purple undertones, but that may be wishful thinking...?

Bruising:
None.

Other information:
I know these shrooms were at least 24+ hours old when I picked them. I saw them Saturday at sunset but did not go back to pick them until Sunday at sunset. Not much smell, just a slight moist/musty scent.

Edited by Smalltowntexan (11/02/15 01:50 PM)

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAstaCrazyBull
Tatored
Male User Gallery

Loc: What's it Tahuya?
Re: Found on some TX cow patties yesterday, need help ID'ing, please [Re: Smalltowntexan]
    #22466380 - 11/02/15 01:50 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

They look like pans of some sort. Welcome to Shroomery

--------------------
The Great Spirit gave me permission to use all things that bear seed for my use. I personally choose non-toxic organic compounds and a couple fermentables.

Cyan time lapse youtube link. https://youtube.com/watch?v=gtgr2SGHxog

InvisibleCharlesBruce
 User Gallery

Loc: Wales, Great Britain Flag
Re: Found on some TX cow patties yesterday, need help ID'ing, please [Re: AstaCrazyBull]
    #22466416 - 11/02/15 02:03 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

If there's no blue bruising it's probably the inactive Panaeolus antillarum.

OfflineSmalltowntexan
Stranger
Re: Found on some TX cow patties yesterday, need help ID'ing, please [Re: CharlesBruce]
    #22466505 - 11/02/15 02:29 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

I read somewhere that bruising didn't always happen if they are a little bit older? But does that mean they are definitely not psychoactive? Is it worth trying them?

Offlinelovelaughlibs
Dopamine Slave
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: England Flag
Re: Found on some TX cow patties yesterday, need help ID'ing, please [Re: Smalltowntexan]
    #22466529 - 11/02/15 02:38 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Smalltowntexan said:
I read somewhere that bruising didn't always happen if they are a little bit older? But does that mean they are definitely not psychoactive? Is it worth trying them?

No OP for your safety don't ever eat any mushrooms you're not 100% sure about. It's a good principle rule to follow.

--------------------
Ask and ye shall receive; Seek and ye shall find.

InvisibleEminence
Male

Loc: Richmond, VA Flag
    #22466602 - 11/02/15 03:01 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Smalltowntexan said:

Just wait until a TI chimes in, they have a tag that says "trusted identifier" under their name.

--------------------

OfflineSmalltowntexan
Stranger
Re: Found on some TX cow patties yesterday, need help ID'ing, please [Re: lovelaughlibs]
    #22466604 - 11/02/15 03:02 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

Fair enough. The only other time I tried getting them from a field (many years ago) we ended up horribly sick. Always best to err on the side of caution.

I'm thinking these are probably Panaeolus antillarum, but not Panaeolus cyanescens. Close though!

Thanks.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification