Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineAkrobatik
Chillin

Taking freakin forever
    #2245878 - 01/16/04 12:20 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I started my cakes nov 16, at first development was rapid, however the after about 70% colonization, growth just slowed down almost to a hault. I was ready to dump them but I was going home for break for a month from school and I figured Id leave them until I got back, well when I got back they where almost completely colonized. But it shouldnt take a month for half of the bottom to become completely comonized right? I used a brf/verm mix in 1 pint jars, loosely packed, the water was acurately measured, and Ive been incubating them at around 75 degrees. Ive inverted the jars and removed the tape covering the inoculation points also. Im not an expert, but I am thinking that there is not enough fresh air in the jars b cause I birthed one jar into a sterile bag and let it fill with some sterile air and growth was astonishingly fast. in 1 week Ive had to break it up 2 times and all of the substrate is colonized. This is the first and last time I will use brf, but I just want to get these to fruit to make some more syringes. If anyone has any advice on what to do please help. I havent lost any jars to contams, so I dont want to do anything to risk that, but I want these to be done already.

--------------------
:mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineOmegaRed
Myco-Floydianenthusiast

Loc: right behind you
Re: Taking freakin forever [Re: Akrobatik]
    #2245894 - 01/16/04 12:27 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

When your cakes get to be about 70% colonized (normally the bottom of the cake is the last to colonize) you can speed up the colonization of the last bit by inverting the cake and giving the jar a whack. This will knock the cake loose and will create an open layer around the uncollonized portion. After you do this it should only be a few days to a week until complete colonization. I have heard argument that opening up the uncolonized substrate in this manner will cause a puff of air that will bring contams to the uncolonized substrate but I have never lost a cake doing this and it greatly speeds colonization.

--------------------
Hey Mr. Tamborine Man play a song for me,
I'm not sleepy and there's no place I'm going to.
Hey Mr. Tamborine Man play a song for me,
In the jingle jangle morning I'll come following you.

OfflineMax1
MaxiMillion

#2245914 - 01/16/04 12:35 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

First, your incubating temp is quite low..should be around 85 deg. Second is the size of your jars..pint jars will take longer than 1/2 pint so a month isnt out of the question. There isnt anything wrong with BRF, it works very well but patience is a must.

Max

Offlinealienated
contaminationgrower

Loc: kali-forn-I-A
    #2246160 - 01/16/04 03:07 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

that and a month and a half really isn't that bad. the reason it took so long is because your temp is so low. crank it up and you're set.

--------------------
-m.

I dont even grow these things... I just post for this guy that knows a guy, who's sisters boyfriend dumped about 2 months ago.

OfflineAkrobatik
Chillin

Re: Taking freakin forever [Re: alienated]
    #2246356 - 01/16/04 04:42 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

thanks for the advice.
I have one of those really cheap fish tank heaters with out a temp control, do you think that if I put that in a glass of water and put that in a cooler it would get too hot for them or it would alter the humidity inside the jars. If so what other ways can I heat these babies up without spend cash cause I just started a new job and im broke.

--------------------
:mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2:

InvisibleYarry
Old Timer
 User Gallery

#2246408 - 01/16/04 04:59 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

i have my temp regulated in my incubator with a heater in a pop bottle. grab a thermometer and toss it in there, if it doesnt have a temp control that sorta sucks but its worth a try. do your best to make sure it stays below 90 or ull have slow growth cuz of too much heat. 86 is optimal

--------------------
Grumpy Old Man.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation