Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineucsdmolpath
Stranger
mycelium as a contaminant?
    #2245817 - 01/16/04 11:47 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

hi all,

just wondering...if i'm using a tissue culture hood at work (we do a lot of in vitro mammalian cell work)...should i be concerned about innoculating agarose with pieces of mycelium?  are mycelia as potent a contaminant as spores?  with our tissue culture hood, we have uv light when it's not on and when it is, constant filtration....i also wipe down with ethanol all the time....

in anycase, just wondering if i should be worrying about contamination of our mammalian cell work in the future if i work with mycelia in the hood....i figured since mycelium is not airborne, that there really isn't all that much to worry about...but then again i'm novice to mushroom cultivation :smile:

thanks!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
Re: mycelium as a contaminant? [Re: ucsdmolpath]
    #2245884 - 01/16/04 12:22 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Like you said, mycelium isn't nearly as bad as spores -- the fragments are usually too wet to be airborne and they don't last very long by themselves. It really depends, though, on how sensitive the tissue culture work is that you're doing and how long you're incubating things. In a regular tissue culture hood you'll probably be fine, but if you're doing hybridoma work or you're trying to culture something like a CHO cell line I'd keep EVERYTHING away from the hood, and the room which the hood is in.

It's really up to you -- I'd consider the contamination vector from the mycelium to be almost nill, but if you're doing really delicate work in those hoods it's probably best to get out the old bunson burner and wipe down your bench with some Et-OH. If you're careful and have good tissue culture skills you should be fine without the hood, but remember you are incubating the dishes for around a week.

Good luck!

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology