Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibleblacksabbathrulz
 User Gallery
The government is irresponsible
    #2245714 - 01/16/04 10:01 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I was have a discussion today in one of my nutrition classes on whether or not the government plays a good role in education people about nutrition and it occured to me that I see anti drug propoganda every single day without fail and have never seen anything trying to educate consumers on the health consequences of a poor diet. More people are overweight than do drugs im sure. Hence they should be more of a concern than drugs. I dont get it. Anyway as you all know the war on drugs is stupid and the money should be appropriated to more useful things IMO.

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: The government is irresponsible [Re: blacksabbathrulz]
    #2245743 - 01/16/04 11:12 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

That's a good point.

I'd say the fast food industry has a far worse effect on the overall health of the nation than drugs do.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

OfflineLearyfan
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Re: The government is irresponsible [Re: Phluck]
    #2245877 - 01/16/04 12:19 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Please don?t be fooled into thinking the government cares about your health.

McDonalds will not cause changes in perception in the general populace that would threaten the governments power over the minds of the people.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month: Dennis & The Times - Flight Patterns

Anonymous

#2246218 - 01/16/04 03:40 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Isn't there a war on fat now? I haven't heard much about it.

Invisiblephreakyzen
My God is anAwesome God

Loc: Under the sea
Re: The government is irresponsible [Re: ]
    #2247411 - 01/17/04 01:03 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I think that's a good thing do we really need the government to tell people what to eat? Christ we all know what a healthy diet is! Does the government really need to step in here?

I do not want the government telling me what I can or cannot ingest. The war on drugs is wrong. Do not prove it by saying they do not care about fat and unhealthy eating. Neither one is any of their damn business.

Invisibleblacksabbathrulz
 User Gallery
Re: The government is irresponsible [Re: phreakyzen]
    #2248697 - 01/17/04 05:41 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

How can you say that?? Many people who are poor are poor because they are uneducated. Therefore they aren't educated about healthy diets or what the consequences of an unhealthy diet it. These are the people who have the greatest tendency to be obese and they really don't know what a healthy diet is.

--------------------

Invisiblephreakyzen
My God is anAwesome God

Loc: Under the sea
    #2252417 - 01/19/04 12:11 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Fat = Fat

It is not rocket science. I am willing to bet that most of the people in this country who are overweight are that way because they do not want to change. I have no interest in diets or losing weight and I watch next to no TV. But from the few hours I watch a week I have figured out that fat = fat, eat less exercise more. If there is one thing that fat poor people have it's TV. Otherwise they would be out doing some sort of physical activity. People may not be informed about the best way to lose weight. Like anything else you have to want to change first. Then you go to the library, ask friends, talk to a clinic or doctor, etc..

Yes there are always exceptions and people with legitimate problems. I am talking about the majority of overweight people who just do not care enough to change.

Look I believe the government has done some good in this area. Like nutritional labels and organic labeling. Making sure that the manufacturers disclose what is in the food and monitoring them. Sure they can fund studies to provide information for the general public. It is just the term "War on fat" scares the hell out of me. I have seen what the "War on drugs" does. Taking violent extreme measures is what war is all about. Is that what you want?

Invisiblesir tripsalot
Administrator
 Arcade Champion: Skeleton Park

Re: The government is irresponsible [Re: phreakyzen]
    #2252514 - 01/19/04 12:54 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

You'd be surprised how stupid some people are about what food does. Maybe you are gifted. I think it would be good if the governement came on T.V and gave some tips to a healthy diet(see your doctor for tips that can help you cut back the excess weight). Same for drugs, come on and give tips to avoid using drugs in excess(see your doctor for tips on how to cut back the excess drug use). Both health issues and truthful education on the subject is all they should do. Or else make fat people illegal.

--------------------

"Little racoons and old possums 'n' stuff all live up in here. They've got to have a little place to sit." Bob Ross.

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
    #2252722 - 01/19/04 02:43 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

link

US sugar barons 'block global war on obesity'

Jo Revill and Paul Harris in New York
Sunday January 18, 2004
The Observer

Leading scientists accused the Bush administration last night of putting the interests of powerful American sugar barons ahead of the global fight against obesity.
Professor Kaare Norum, leader of the World Health Organisation's fight to prevent millions developing diet-related diseases, has sparked an international war of words with a highly critical letter to US Health Secretary Tommy Thompson. In it he tells of his grave concern over American opposition to the WHO's blueprint to combat obesity. He accuses the US of making the health of millions of young Americans 'a hostage to fortune' because it has failed to take action over the fat epidemic as a result of its business interests, particularly the sugar lobby.

Since 1990, successive US governments have blocked WHO calls for action, claims Norum, professor of medicine at Oslo University.

'Obesity rates have risen so that now one in three Americans bears the burden of the very high health risks associated with this condition, with the poorest and most vulnerable worst affected,' he says. 'Obesity rates among American children have risen by 50 per cent.'

Norum is the most senior scientist involved in an attempt to formulate a worldwide policy to fight heart disease and diabetes resulting from a junk food diet. An estimated 60 per cent of disease worldwide is now due to cardiovascular illness, which causes 47 per cent of deaths.

The letter from Norum will put Bush under intense pressure at home to show that he is serious about tackling the epidemic. More than half of all Americans are overweight, and in some states, including Bush's Texas, nearly one-third of the population is classified obese.

The President insists fighting fat is a matter for the individual, not the state. But today The Observer reveals how he and fellow senators have received hundreds of thousands of dollars in funding from 'Big Sugar'. One of his main fundraisers is sugar baron Jose 'Pepe' Fanjul, head of Florida Crystals, who has raised at least $100,000 for November's presidential re-election campaign.

Norum's letter is an angry response to the Americans' decision to submit a 30-page report, criticising the WHO strategy for its lack of sound scientific evidence. It will be discussed at a key meeting of its executive board in Geneva on Tuesday.

The Bush administration, which receives millions in funding from the sugar industry, argues there is little robust evidence to show that drinking sugary drinks or eating too much sugar is a direct cause of obesity. It particularly opposes a recommendation that just 10 per cent of people's energy intake should come from added sugar. The US has a 25 per cent guideline.

Thompson's representative at Tuesday's meeting will be Bill Steiger, godson of George Bush Sr. He will argue there is no evidence that selling junk food to children increases overweight.

Another leading obesity expert supported Norum, describing America's position as a scandal. Professor Philip James, head of the International Obesity Task Force, a thinktank for experts worldwide said: 'People are far more tuned into what is now a much bigger obesity crisis and are more aware of some of the dangers such as diabetes. When they begin to see children developing these severe health problems, it brings home to people that this is not some vague risk in the future - it is happening here and now.'

Thompson is also due to speak at the World Economic Forum in Davos next week, where he is expected to have a private meeting with Douglas Daft, president of The Coca-Cola Company, one of the major users of American cane sugar and sweeteners.

In an Observer interview today, Britain's Culture Secretary Tessa Jowell urges people who take little or no exercise to start hobbies like DIY and gardening to get active, saying that she wants people to take responsibility for their fitness.

In the UK, nearly 16 per cent of teenagers were found to be obese in 2000 - three times the number reported in 1990.

--------------------
Always Smi2le

Anonymous

Re: The government is irresponsible [Re: GazzBut]
    #2252984 - 01/19/04 04:13 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

what "action" should the US government take against obesity?

i swear... if recreational drugs were legal and produced by large corporations, the liberals here would be wailing to have them banned.  :tongue:

InvisibleLallafa
p_g monocle
 User Gallery

Loc: underbelly Flag
Re: The government is irresponsible [Re: Learyfan]
    #2253084 - 01/19/04 04:41 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

"Please don?t be fooled into thinking the government cares about your health. "

i still dont see a list of ingredients on my pack of cigarettes.

--------------------
my tax dollars going to more hits of acid for charles manson

OfflineTheOneYouKnow
addict
    #2253172 - 01/19/04 05:14 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

blacksabbathrulz said:
How can you say that?? Many people who are poor are poor because they are uneducated. Therefore they aren't educated about healthy diets or what the consequences of an unhealthy diet it. These are the people who have the greatest tendency to be obese and they really don't know what a healthy diet is.

They don't know that fast food is unhealthy? How "educated" do you have to be? 20$ will buy you "Natural Health, Natural Medicine" by Dr. Andrew Weil, you'll be educated about food choices.

OfflineTheOneYouKnow
addict
Re: The government is irresponsible [Re: TheOneYouKnow]
    #2256744 - 01/20/04 06:29 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I think that this is a very important issue when taken in the abstract. Should a government inform it's citizenry in the consequences of injesting certain substances, be they hallucinogenic or a food, or should the government regulate said industry?

--------------------
Opinions are like assholes; everyone needs one or else they'd explode

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion