Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OnlineShroomslip
Architekt
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: I got my first motorcycle! im scaaaaaaaaaaaared to ride! [Re: Macey Howard]
    #22452119 - 10/30/15 02:52 AM (8 years, 4 months ago)

Totally incomplete list of suggestions (some may not even apply at this moment).

1. Above all, never assume anything of other drivers. By that I mean don't assume the car you see up ahead getting ready to pull out of a parking lot, is actually going to stop and wait for you to pass.

2. When at all possible, do not let any vehicle stay in your proximity. Don't ride dangerously to get away from it, but generally speaking, the more distance you can put between you and some other vehicle is all the better. This doesn't always mean hauling ass to get around them. It can mean slowing down to create a large buffer. It's just dependent on the exact situation.

3. When you get brand new tires, pretend you're driving on ice. They need to be broke in. I actually learned that lesson the hard way. Thankfully I wasn't in traffic and wasn't going particularly fast. I laid the bike down and managed to walk away completely unscathed. I got lucky though, don't assume this is what will happen to you if you lay it down.

4. Safety gear at all times. You can choose to go without it, many do, I even did, but it is something you should really adhere to. Doesn't matter if you're making a 30 minute commute or a run down to the local gas station. Do not assume just because you're not going very far, that you won't need it.

5. Unless you are very intimately familiar with the road you're driving on, and how it effects your bike, go slow. Just because you know it in a car, doesn't mean you know it on a bike. If you're not at all familiar with the road, and you notice something too late, chances are pretty good you're going to wreck, in a car you can slam on the breaks or steer hard, both are a very bad thing to do on a bike.

6. Do not assume this is a car or treat it as such. Bikes are vastly different in almost every conceivable way. If you've been driving the last 20 years with no accident, do not assume that means you can get cavalier on the bike on not wreck it, actually chances are if you do, you're not even going to have it a week or two before you have an accident.

7. Find a popular motorcycle forum, and start reading. Just start opening threads and reading them. You never know what you're going to learn by doing so.

--------------------
With my face against the floor I can’t see who knocked me out of the way.
I don’t want to get back up but I have to so it might as well be today.
Nothing appeals to me no one feels like me, I’m too busy being calm to disappear.
I’m in no shape to be alone contrary to the shit that you might hear.

You can't wake up, this is not a dream. You're part of a machine, you are not a human being
With your face all made up, living on a screen. Low on self esteem, so you run on gasoline

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRobZombie68
The Shaman's Apprentice
Male

Loc: Palookaville, US
    #22452659 - 10/30/15 08:09 AM (8 years, 4 months ago)

Just had a friend whose been riding many years almost die on one.  I'd much rather be in a metal box on the road.  On a bike it is not a matter of "if", it is a matter of "when" an accident will happen... Be careful and don't be stupid on it.

OfflineManianFH
living in perverty
 User Gallery

Re: I got my first motorcycle! im scaaaaaaaaaaaared to ride! [Re: RobZombie68]
    #22452837 - 10/30/15 09:25 AM (8 years, 4 months ago)

The big post a few posts up, solid advice.

Congrats OP! Killer looking bike too. Glad you're taking the safety course it can be a life saver. I've had a few Harleys, and a Ninja in my life, among many others I've ridden but not owned. Here's my Tips - of it's the same as others advice, it's because it was important enough to be said twice:

1. Gear Up! Don't chince on your safety. I spent nearly $1000 on my gear, most of which I still own today, buy Good boots that can protect your ankles in a fall. Don't be out there in chucks. Buy a strong, comfortable, visible jacket with underarmor. Make sure you don't lose movement in it. Shop around and try on everything till u find your fit. Your helmet, needs to be top quality, lightweight, like a Shoei. Maybe you've already got a good helmet from that pic I dunno. Make your gear shit you could be comfortable wearing all day. Some rides you could be wearing it all weekend :smile: - the really good rides.

2. Find and respect the power of your engine. I remember the first time I wheelied my 600, because I was pissed off and hammered the throttle. I learned quickly not to ever do that again, as well as to save my road rage for when I'm safely off my bike. Being pissed on a motorcycle is dangerous.

3. Don't grow too comfortable with your routes. Doing so drops your guard which needs to be up on a bike. Take new routes to the same places every now and then. Helps you remain aware of new obstacles as well as have some fun caving out new trails on your bike.

4. Use both brakes, not just front, not just back. Def not just back. There are special times that could warrant using just one or the other and feel free to ask in your safety class about that. Remember most your braking power lies in the front though, they are Necessary.

5. Don't ever trust other cars. Don't ride next to them, don't stop and expect the car behind you to. That's why spilling lanes is awesome. At a red light. You get to use the cars as your shield for once and move to the front of the line, that way some teenager on his phone doesn't rear end you and break your back. Take advantage of that. When the light is green, make sure it's safe and that no cars are late trying to make the yellow. Once u know the intersection is safe, accelerate and grab a lane. If some fool tries to race you, let him win off the line. Be safe and grab the other lane.

6. If some fool tries to race you, ignore that moron and get as far from him as possible. He's a pussy in a steel cage challenging a biker? What a douche - you have way more to lose and nothing to gain. If a biker challenges you, which will probably never happen, ignore them and get away.

7. Own your lane. Bikes are very fluid on the road, but when you are in a lane, claim it, and use it's parts (sides/middle) strategically. Like a chess game. Remember that oil can build up in the middle of lanes especially at lights so try to brake a little out of the mid lanes. If u come too hot to a red and brake hard in the middle of an oil slick, it could end badly.

8. Red lights will drop on you. Be aware of your upcoming intersection. Look for cars turning left or waiting to, because they all do once the light is yellow. They are biker killers. Whenever I hit an intersection I tend to roll off the throttle and coast a bit through it. This is especially true when there are cars waiting to turn left. I want to be able to maneuver or break effectively should I need to.

9. Remember this: intersections are the most dangerous part of the road for a biker. As well as anywhere a car can turn left across traffic, Anywhere. If you ever see a car waiting to turn left, scan around you. Assess if there are cars in lanes next to you, roll of the throttle just a bit and be ready to slow. If that car turns left in front of you, commit to a plan. It should involve slowing steadily and or counter steering around the car, which will most likely see you coming too late and stop like a tank in front of you.

10. Keep a full tank. Do inspections often, especially on your tires, pressure, lights, blinkers, horn (use it).

11. Have fun, find some twisties baby those are the beeeesssst!!!!!

Could write more but in a phone. Fun times. Ask a lot of questions in class dude, have a list. And yes motorcycle forums, especially the ones where they post accidents and the members discuss what could have been done to avoid the accident. Wonderful knowledge!
Cheers

--------------------
notapillow said: "you are going about this endeavor all wrong. clear your mind of useless fear and concern. buy the ticket, take the ride, and all that.... "

ChrisWho said: "It's all about the journey, not the destination."

Invisibleluvdemboomers
loner with a boner
Re: I got my first motorcycle! im scaaaaaaaaaaaared to ride! [Re: ManianFH]
    #22455325 - 10/30/15 08:19 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

road rash is incredibly painful and you don't have to be going fast to get it, get some good riding gear

Edited by luvdemboomers (10/30/15 08:19 PM)

OfflineManianFH
living in perverty
 User Gallery

Re: I got my first motorcycle! im scaaaaaaaaaaaared to ride! [Re: RobZombie68]
    #22455840 - 10/30/15 10:14 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

RobZombie68 said:
Just had a friend whose been riding many years almost die on one.  I'd much rather be in a metal box on the road.  On a bike it is not a matter of "if", it is a matter of "when" an accident will happen... Be careful and don't be stupid on it.

What happened in his case, how did the accident occur?

--------------------
notapillow said: "you are going about this endeavor all wrong. clear your mind of useless fear and concern. buy the ticket, take the ride, and all that.... "

ChrisWho said: "It's all about the journey, not the destination."

OfflineSoulidarity
With Your Halo Slippin . . .
 User Gallery

Loc: Atlantis Flag
    #22456404 - 10/31/15 02:52 AM (8 years, 4 months ago)

a few more things to consider:

- get yourself a good set of gear to ride in. obviously a certified helmet. ideally you should be riding in one of those one piece leather suits to be as safe as possible. but a good bike jacket with the protective inserts and a decent pair of those kevlar riding pants should be okay. gloves and boots are also a good idea.

read up about abrasion tests on certain types of fabrics. i cant remember the figures exactly, but a proper leather suit will last 2-3 seconds under heavy abrasion. i.e. when you've crashed and your skidding across the road. general clothes, i.e. jeans, even the ' double stitched ' pairs of riding jeans are garbage and shred almost instantly as soon as you hit the road. which means the rest of you is going to get cheese grated

-learn how to counter steer properly, or read up about it. its pretty important for maneuvering the bike effectively.

and also weight transfer can help you maneuver too. once your a bit more confident in riding, try weighting one of the foot pegs. the bike will tilt a little bit to one side. and tilting is pretty much how the bike turns, so it can help with maneuvering.

i used to like tilting out just before a corner and then dipping into the corner. thats when riding starts to get fun. you start weaving around and throwing the bike around and stuff.

- familiarise yourself with how to use the breaks properly: 1st step is lightly engage the brakes, and then gradually increase the force applied. i.e. with the front brake, squeeze the lever and then roll your fist forward into the brake lever. you risk locking up the brakes if you just slam on the brake at full force.

also, the front brake provides something like 80-90% of your stopping power too

if you ever do lock the brakes, just disengage the brake instantly

-assume your invisible to all other drivers on the road. this means its your responsibility to make sure you've been seen or to position yourself safely on the road. try to make sure your within the mirrors of any vehicles infront.

in general you dont want to be parallel or close up to any vehicles at all for any reason.

and also stay well away from any large vehicles on the road such as trucks, busses, etc etc. they probably can't see you, are likely to squish you in a collission, they take up much more space then regular vehicles and cut into other lanes while turning.

-plan your journeys in advance. even just a quick run through in your mind of the route your going to be taking to get to where ever it is. this helps at the start when your still getting used to the roads on a bike. things like being aware of which lanes on which roads you need to be in.

-anticipate traffic hazards or potential obstacles. i.e. particular areas where people are likely to switch lanes at the last moment such as around turning lanes, or streets/freeways that merge lanes.

- one thing i always used to do was to ensure i had an escape plan for my immediate surroundings should anything go wrong.

i.e. : a car close up ahead in the left lane, i'm in the middle lane. what i would do in this situation is ensure the right lane is free, so that if anything did happen i knew i was clear to swerve to the right. or i would slow down and back off away to give myself a safe buffer zone.

in general you just need to be aware of your surroundings and be cautious. dont ride ' vacantly '.

- dont lane split to start out. just wait behind cars or w/e wherever you are in traffic.

--------------------

R.I.P. WoodRuss67, Todcasil, TheMerryIguana, The Rompus, Lord Senate.
[/url]

Edited by Soulidarity (10/31/15 07:16 AM)

InvisibleOhMrJohnson
Modern Day Alchemist

Loc: Terra Incognita Flag
Re: I got my first motorcycle! im scaaaaaaaaaaaared to ride! [Re: Soulidarity]
    #22456608 - 10/31/15 06:23 AM (8 years, 4 months ago)

Me and my brother just got a '95 CBR900RR the other day, it's a fucking beast

It doesn't start because it has some kind of electrical issue but we will get to the bottom of it

--------------------

Diminish the sub-principle and leave its toxic trace..
Once and for all!

InvisibleMr.PhilCybin
Master Baiter
I'm a teapot

Loc: Gnarnia
Re: I got my first motocycle! im scaaaaaaaaaaaared to ride! [Re: Macey Howard]
    #22457721 - 10/31/15 01:18 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Macey Howard said:
Quote:

Macey Howard said:
Quote:

Cowb0yNeal00 said:
I got my license last summer, but i have yet to get a bike.  I got a Chinese  50cc scooter for 1300, about a month ago though thats fun to ride. If i can save up the money i plan on getting one for the spring!! just a cheap one 3-4k, I've been looking at the cbr 250 r! Wow a 600 is intense for a starter bike! be careful with that throttle! lol.

you can get a bike cheaper than that and more faster.

lol I paid 1500 for mine.. the guy even threw in the helmet, glove and jacket.. had it checked out at mechanic........... purrrrrfect condition!

my bike is 1600 cc

skimmed through, it looks like people gave you most of the standard, "be cautious, know your limits, expect drivers to try to kill you" advice already.
the only think I'll leave in addition is, don't skimp on the gear (helmet, gloves, jacket), and I don't care if you're literally going a 1/4 mile away, always wear it.

My best friend I used to ride with has permanent hand issues from leaving his gloves cause it was less than a mile away.

also,  it's a 600cc btw.

F4's are rad, and pretty user friendly as far as sport bikes go.

I used to ride, went through 2 bikes and got fucked over by my insurance company after my second one got totaled in a hit and run.

I was good with the break for years, but my friend just got a bike, and now I'm starting to want another one.

be safe, and have fun out there!

--------------------
I'm stupid, Falcon91Wolvrn03 is smart.
I'm ugly, Falcon91Wolvrn03 is beautiful.
I'm a loser, Falcon91Wolvrn03 is a winner.
Someday, I hope to be like Falcon91Wolvrn03 but secretly know I never will.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom