Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinepscyanescens
The Raindancer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Santa Cruz, CA
Cold vs Room temp for wood lovers outdoors.
    #6447578 - 01/11/07 02:21 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

What about the cold vs. room temp? What is better for my spawn? I added a bunch of old azie chips to 4 jars pretty evenly. It was desperate for food. I also have cardboard spawn of other actives too. Should i put them outside? Or leave them in the house? The other active aren't cold weather alike.

My main concern is that i heard warmer temps grow faster, but cold keeps it sterile better. Is this true?

--------------------
----------------
"With an abundance of Cyanescens... i would never touch another Cubensis again."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Cold vs Room temp for wood lovers outdoors. [Re: pscyanescens]
    #6448078 - 01/11/07 09:03 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

If you're growing out spawn to place outdoors later you'll need to follow sterile procedure throughout until you get the chips moved outside. Mycelium of all types will grow faster at room temperature than outside during the winter.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinepscyanescens
The Raindancer
Male User Gallery

Re: Cold vs Room temp for wood lovers outdoors. [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6449693 - 01/11/07 05:13 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

OK thanks. This is what i heard with most mushrooms too. But does this mean that i will have a higher risk of contamination indoors? Can i play it safe by putting them outside in the cold? Would it be better to be inside?

--------------------
----------------
"With an abundance of Cyanescens... i would never touch another Cubensis again."

InvisibleBobHumboldt
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#6450397 - 01/11/07 08:44 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Hi. I keep mine indoors. But here, it's pretty damn cold outside (not like Santa Cruz, I suppose). I haven't had any problems with contamination on cyanescens spawn indoors. Although, obviously, it's always best to follow sterile techniques, I think woodlover spawn is pretty robust, especially on cardboard and alder chips. I've also got some pretty good blue foot mycelium going, and hopefully, it will turn out the same way as my wavy caps did last year.

My guess is that in Santa Cruz, it probably doesn't make a hell of a lot of difference indoors or out, temperature wise. My ps. cyanescens are from Humboldt, and up there, unless you have your indoors set up to 68 or some crazy stuff, it's probably just a bit warmer inside than outside.

That being said, I have seen some pretty intense mycelium outside, in cold weather (40's) on cardboard, here in the Northeast US. Maybe you should try some in and some out, eh?

Peace, and good luck

Edited by BobHumboldt (01/11/07 08:52 PM)

Offlinepscyanescens
The Raindancer
Male User Gallery

Re: Cold vs Room temp for wood lovers outdoors. [Re: BobHumboldt]
    #6451251 - 01/12/07 05:02 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

BobHumbolt: That is what i was thinking but i turns out the weather forcast for the next three days is supposed to be 30 and below!!! God i hope not. Let see..... it is not bad... it is 36 degrees outside now and its 4am. They predicted 27 degrees at 6am, so lets see.

Do you think i should cover my outdoor cultures? What should i use if so? Plastic? Cardboard? rug maybe?

--------------------
----------------

Offlinedirtpunk
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #22455199 - 10/30/15 07:54 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

I've been thinking of spawning outside under straw covering cardboard sandwiched with wild spawn.it gets pretty cold here but I've heard the patches will survive here if covered well.do I have to worry about"smothering "it?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract