Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinejustsayknow
pansexual pancake!

Loc: MO
A Lesson on life from Darkest Dungeons * 1
    #22448813 - 10/29/15 11:31 AM (8 years, 4 months ago)

If you're unfamiliar with the game, it's quite brutal and punishing. Darkest dungeons is a game about making the best out of a bad situation. It's a dungeon crawling RPG, but it's not like most RPG's. In most RPG's your job is to kill all the monsters, explore everything, get all the epic loot, and if something goes bad you can usually reload a save or restart from check point.

But that's not Darkest Dungeons. The game constantly autosaves so every decision you make is virtually permanent. And it's punishing in general, although you're pre-warned that that happens to be the intent.

In this game, your party members are completely disposable. The only one's you should care about saving are the one's that have more good traits than bad quirks.

Speakings of that, what pushes this game over on the interesting factor is that this game asks the question of what would happen to these hero's if they were actually going through these horrible dungeons with gruesome monsters and tests of resolve. Your hero's can suffer long term psychological issues like specific disorders (such as necromania; an interest in corpses, wounds, and injuries or perhaps God fearing, where you can only relieve stress through prayer. there are MANY afflictions that i've yet to discover). Plus you're characters can get stressed and at some point if it builds too high they can suffer a heart attack.

This game is hard. And what's interesting is that a loss isn't the same thing as a failure. And while sitting in my bed i randomly applied that ideology to some of my life events and how i'd see these life events as "failures" because i "was supposed to" be enlightened and i "thought i had" resolved many of my psychological issues through the use of psychedelics.

And now that i'm back at a good point in my life it's a powerful feeling to see that those trials i went through weren't entirely failures in life. They were loss's and i realize that i did the best i could to make the most out of a bad situation.

Can anyone relate?

--------------------
Wake up! and bake! Repeat or die! I will put this acid in my eye! silly as a silly bee, now it's my ears and nose that can see! hurdurdurdur Hurdeedee! Hippy crack hippidee! Cough cough cough! sip sip sip, DXM just landed me on a trip! Ho ho ho! hay hay hay! have a nice trip! enjoy your day!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineShortknight
Male

Re: A Lesson on life from Darkest Dungeons [Re: justsayknow]
    #22450196 - 10/29/15 05:33 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

Sounds like a neat platform for a game, and to think about aswell:thumbup::peace:

Shorty:yinyang:

--------------------
Did I say it too loud? Big heart? Or a little misleading!:musicnote:

Offlinejustsayknow
pansexual pancake!

Re: A Lesson on life from Darkest Dungeons [Re: Shortknight]
    #22451187 - 10/29/15 09:11 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah :smile: i learned about it from Extra Credit's "games you might not have tried" and/or their "james recommends" series.

I have some other awesome games i'll share but i'm going to make a separate post about it when i have the time. There's some really cool games out there with some interesting concepts/design choices.

--------------------
Wake up! and bake! Repeat or die! I will put this acid in my eye! silly as a silly bee, now it's my ears and nose that can see! hurdurdurdur Hurdeedee! Hippy crack hippidee! Cough cough cough! sip sip sip, DXM just landed me on a trip! Ho ho ho! hay hay hay! have a nice trip! enjoy your day!

Offlinejustsayknow
pansexual pancake!

#22451669 - 10/29/15 10:56 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

here's a trailer. if this doesn't suck you in i don't know what will! lols

--------------------

OfflinemndfreezeMDiscordReddit
Shroomery Secret Service
Other User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: PuppetMasterFlash
    #22452399 - 10/30/15 06:28 AM (8 years, 4 months ago)

I'm watching some lets play videos of this since you suggested it, looks pretty brutal, but fun. I might have to pick it up soon and hopefully not add it to my growing list of games I buy buyt never really play.... fuck you steam.

--------------------
Nothing says love like grannies prolapsed anus!

quote]Urb said:
I know... Its fucked up... Ill fix it minyana..[/quote]

Invisiblemycoprog
Modular Heretic
 User Gallery

Loc: N. America
    #22454613 - 10/30/15 05:46 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

i love this game. and you are so right. not all losses have to be failures. my few first plays, i was like "wtf?" then i realized maybe the system is set up for you to lose. after that, shit has been improving. i love me some roguelikes, and this is definitely a keeper.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: A Lesson on life from Darkest Dungeons [Re: mycoprog]
    #22459349 - 10/31/15 08:58 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

Game had amazing reviews when it first came out, I guess since the latest patches almost everyone hates it, the reviews on steam are pretty terrible. Seems they just made it completely too difficult for new players, even experienced ones.
Another early access game that has amazing potential but they turned it in the wrong direction.. let's hope they can get it back on course... all the early gameplay videos I saw looked fun as hell... current build people are saying is pure masochism.
Sounds like they just made things more difficult / nerfed a few fun builds so it's much much harder to progress early levels now..
sounds like they have some balance issues to work out. But from what I gathered.. game was fun as shit.. now it's not so much

--------------------

Offlinejustsayknow
pansexual pancake!

Re: A Lesson on life from Darkest Dungeons [Re: Shroomism]
    #22459785 - 10/31/15 10:51 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

I still think it's really fun, it's just about making the most out of your losses. The first thing you want to do is get that stage coach leveled up so that your getting at least 4 new adventurers each week.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #22462704 - 11/01/15 02:49 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

I dunno... almost every recent review I read.. says they tried to increase the difficulty to make it better for the end-game people... but currently made it almost impossible to advanced if you are started fresh. People that have been playing for a while and already have good characters say they are doing ok, but people that are starting fresh, or even people who have been playing since Day 1 are having problems. One guy said he lost all his healers, so had to grind to try and get new healers up to par, and it's almost impossible.. and he's a veteran of the game since Day 1. I'm reading A LOT of reviews like that...

So while the game looked fun as shit when it first came out... almost everyone right now is saying it's just the ultimate grindfest and punishes you WAY too much.. making it no fun at all to advance, to downright painful.

The game looked great, I liked the gameplay, graphics, sounds and everything.
But I will probably hold off on it until they fix the balance issues some more.

You should try starting a brand new game and let me know if any of that is true. But I read a LOT of reviews and they are all pretty much unanimous.. game was amazing, they nerfed some shit and raised some difficulty and made gold harder to grind etc etc.. and now it's verging on masochism.

Also a lot of the reviews are talking how yes, it's a difficult game.. but not organically difficult.. RNG difficult. The odds are stacked against you from the beginning and it "cheats" to make it difficult (ex: Getting crit over and over when you have 50 dodge.. and then missing 3/4 attacks). I like difficult games where the difficulty can be overcome with skill, advanced knowledge of game mechanics, and so on... but from what I reading this difficulty is mostly all revolving around RNG..which is stacked against you. i.e - nothing YOU can do about it except hope you get lucky dice rolls.

These things turn me off quite a bit. But hopefully they balance it out some more.

Just a couple reviews that are all basically echoing the same thing:

Quote:

Foreword: This review actually hurts me to write, because I truly believe this game has insane potential, it just needs some tweaking to be something damn near a masterpiece, and since its still early access, its likely we could see those tweaks in the near future, so keep that in mind

When most people think of Darkest Dungeon, certain words may spring to mind: Difficulty, Frustration, Stress. But if I had to sum up this game in just one word, that word would be "Stagnation." I had been following this game rather closely for some time and loved everything I saw, the game seemed PERFECT in my eyes, at least until recent updates to the game brought some "rebalancing." The latest updates saw rather drastic increases in the cost of... well... pretty much everything, heros cost more to train, town upgrades require more resources, and stress healing will bleed you dry. This, on its own, wouldnt have been too bad, had they not also considerably decreased the gold you'll get for going on expeditions. Many times ive completed a quest, only to spend most the gold i just recieved to lower my troop's stress levels from said quest, before saving what precious little is left to fund the next mission. Repeat this proccess about 5-6 times and congratulations, you now have enough to upgrade one of your heros' equipment or skills, and maybe a town building or two..... once. But if you're dedicated enough you can do this for long enough to have a fully equipped level 2 team, now you're ready to progress!

Oh, you got surprised by a horde of spiders who shuffled the order of your party and killed your healer and highwayman before you could do anything about it? Well, have fun starting over, see you in another 35 missions and we'll do this again.

So the point is this: Players who came into this new update with their towns half finished and their parties mostly set up will be fine, but if you're just starting out, the unforgiving gold deficit will keep you in crippling poverty and grind progress to such a slow and repetitive crawl that you'll actually forget why you're even playing, if you're unsure on whether to pick this one up, I'd hold off for now, wait for a few more updates and then check again.

Quote:

I started playing DD on this last patch and I for one like the game. I cannot recommend it unfortunately. Echoing many of the other reviews that have been written recently, DD has a myriad of wonderful features, including excellent voice acting and mechanical rpg enhancements, the concept of stress, the artwork, and the music all serve to make Darkest Dungeon a joy to play to a point. That point is reached fairly quickly in the game due to the compounding effects of stress and the costs to combat stress and improve your crew. None of the provisions like torches and food you purchase for a given expedition that you don't use are lost upon return. Oversupply yourself and you lose a significant amount of coin. Underprovision yourself and you risk failing the expedition and really getting behind on your coffers. With the high costs of stress reduction and improvement opportunities, and expedition costs, I am starting to see a challenge in making any progress to the higher levels in this game. Recruiting newer characters that are too weak to explore your only choice of dungeons and being unable to use your higher level characters much due to the effects of stress or the many negative quirks they aquire that cost too much to remove means you end up playing only the very beginning portions of a given dungeon and make barely any progress.

Bottom line, a really great game ruined by too high of a challenge level. You will find yourself getting frustrated playing it now so I would wait until another patch comes through that addresses the difficulty issues.

Quote:

The aesthetic is fantastic and the narration is top notch. Unfortunately the random number generator in the game is simply not working correctly and resources are given out too miserly. This results in a frustrating grind through the same scenarios over and over again.

There's many more just like this or worse..people with many many hours on record

It sounds like it has the potential to be a fucking amazing game (and started out amazing) but right now has some balance issues that need addressing..

--------------------

Offlinejustsayknow
pansexual pancake!

#22467131 - 11/02/15 03:40 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah, it reminds me of Dark Souls a little. I've actually somewhat recently bought it (a week ago) and i find that as long as you upgrade the stage couch first and foremost (not the roster yet) you will have a much greater chance at succeeding.

I think that this is one of the games where it's not a bad idea to read it's Wiki. That's kinda what i've been doing and so far i've followed the advice of upgrading my stage couch network to get at least 4 recruits in every week. more is much better.

For me the experience has been easy enough that i can succeed on most missions if i pick the right battle. But like if you don't have your stage couch on your list of priorities then you need to put it on it. So far i think i can get up to 5 hero's a day and i can keep up to 15 in my roster. if i'm low on gold and there's no hope for one of them i simply fire and replace them. Sometimes if i get a less ideal character in the stage couch i'll hire and immediately fire him (if i have suitable characters) for next week to produce a better one.

If you play your investments right the game isn't EASY easy but it's not so terribly punishing. you also have to abandon quests and escape fights sometimes. it's just how the game is. So far, i find i'm quite addicted to DD. It's really great once you get your strategy to go. Also no matter what do not play a game where you begin with one or none of your characters. just restart it if possible, unless your into playing constantly on edge.

It's sort of about getting your momentum going. The first thing you need to do is have enough money for torches and food. You need to try to get the required requirements for upgrading the stage couch and so you need to consider which quests you want to do and in what area's. different area's will have different creatures which will require different tactics. So choose the quest you will want to do, some quests will have you just scouting an area or exploring it. others will require you to kill a boss or all the enemies.

Also, you don't want to use stress relieving facilities in the very beginning of the game until you have a few characters that you think you will keep. Upgrade your facilities as you go along, usually focusing on expanding at least one slot in one and upgrading the cost in the other. at first just focus on upgrading the cost, it will definitely pay of greatly. If you suceed in a few dungeons you're doing good. also hoard loot. don't be afraid to send several parties to their death; especially if you already have a few established characters whom you can save and eventually build up stronger people. otherwise, almost everyone is literally disposable.

Finally, just read the wiki if you do play this game. learning a little bit about it and how to succeed; especially with the later patches- will greatly increase your chances.

I think i understand though, where people are coming from. it took at least a week or two to get used to it. But once you do get used to it and understand the strategies you'll be facing you'll find that as a strategy game it is quite as awesome as it seems because in general the game causes you to constantly think about your actions, consequences, and ESPECIALLY the alternative opportunity value of different choices.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: A Lesson on life from Darkest Dungeons [Re: justsayknow] * 1
    #22471620 - 11/03/15 03:24 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

I picked it up a few days ago after watching a billion videos.

I do really like it so far. It definitely seems like my kind of game. I only have about 2 hours in it but I'm really digging it.

I can kind of see where people are coming from with the gold / stress shit. Stress is out of control for me.. I did the beginner short dungeon and my healer almost died within the first couple fights from almost hitting max stress (200). Healer seems to get beat on the most.

Haven't had a death yet, but I'm sure that will come soon, have only done 3 dungeons but completed them all so I'm doing alright I guess.

I can kind of see what people are bitching about though.. maybe it's easier once you have more gold & stress reducing/prevention trinkets and shit.. but it's pretty annoying that most of my dudes are like ~75% stressed a lot of the time.. seems far too easy to pick up mad stress and a little too difficult to effectively remove it, so it's really hard for me to manage without spending a ton of gold. But I would agree it needs some balance for early game. There either needs to be less stress put out or more effective ways to remove it.  I dunno, I guess I'll find out as I put more hours into it and start advancing some more.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: A Lesson on life from Darkest Dungeons [Re: Shroomism] * 1
    #22472165 - 11/03/15 05:20 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah.. just lost an entire party to Stress. All of them died from a heart attack at the same time fighting the necromancer. :lol:
Can confirm stress checks are out of fucking control. I was seeing -17, -20 pop ups left and fucking right. Went from 75/200 to 200/200 in a single fight
So then I lost all the loot I gained (was at the end of that dungeon) plus I had most of my gold sunk into supplies, so now I barely have enough gold to get more supplies. I'm beginning to see what people were talking about.

--------------------

Shroomery Secret Service
Other User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #22478566 - 11/04/15 09:55 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

I picked it up and yes this game is hard as fuck.  Ive been watching the same lets play youtuber I mentioned earlier, but he was playing a pre-release version of the game and my game is for sure waaaay harder. 

I was in the very first quest after the tutorial one, and almost right away came across some thing that said I couldp ut a torch in it but it would summon some great evil or something, so of course I did because its the first quest right???

Yeah, it summoned some massive tentacled beast with like 150hp, uber resistences, and its attacks all summon a minion in front of it, so they block most attacks, etc.

I wiped super fast.

I had to leave for a camping trip for the weekend so I haven't played it since really,but when I get off work in about 8 hours I plan on it.  Wooo.  Its so hard, it hurts.  unf.

--------------------

quote]Urb said:

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: A Lesson on life from Darkest Dungeons [Re: mndfreeze]
    #22478821 - 11/04/15 10:50 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah you gotta watch out.. those weird looking tentacle things will spawn a massive boss.
I'm beginning to get more of the hang of it but it's a bitch trying to manage gold and trying to manage negative quirks your characters pick up..between those and stress building up it's kind of a bitch to manage.
Once I have a solid roster of character I can swap teams while I have one team in town removing stress / negative quirks while the other team fights..

I'm still trying to figure out how to most effectively farm gold.. from the looks of it.. once you complete a quest you can't do it again.. it bumps up to the next level.. so it may be more effective to sometimes just do most of a dungeon and abandon it to get as much resources you can but still have that level available.

And yeah I was watching earlier videos too.. game is much more unforgiving now.

--------------------

Shroomery Secret Service
Other User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #22483047 - 11/05/15 08:45 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

Well I finally had some proper time to play after I got off work this morning so I played for about 4 hours.  I actually saw you going in and out and in and out of the game Shroomism, lulz.  Shit really is way harder then it used to be.  I can never seem to actually save up any gold  I make just enough on a successful mission (the EASY short ones even..) to then dump everyone into the church or tavern for the most part, and sometimes into the sanitarium, but now that bad traits get "worse" over time and I only have 1 stupid slot in the sanitarium my guys get fucked up WAAAAY faster then I can ever remove shit off them.  I've started changing my strat around a little bit to where I have roughly 2 teams like you said, with an additional 4 guys I can rotate in and out however in those teams.  But then with planned deaths instead of trying to heal everyone.  So out of each team I'm only really REALLLLY trying to save and level up 2 of them because its all I can ever afford.

Gold is way harder to get now it seems.  Let me know if you find any good strat guides that apply to the  latest build and all that jazz because I'm barely squeeking by and seem to have someone die every other mission. 

It also seems like my guys randomly get hungry way more often then they should?  I had them pop the hungry dialogue box on me twice in a 'short' apprentice dungeon!  like 2 hallways apart, it was dumb.  The medium quest I did (also apprentice level) popped the hunger thing *5* times and I only backtracked down a single room and hallway that popped off on its own, everything else was a streamlined forward march.

Still im loving the game even though it can be super frustrating.  I swear it seems like the game randomly gives the enemy some hidden uber boost and some small battle of like 3 weak guys will almost completely wipe me with crit after crit after crit.

--------------------

quote]Urb said:

Offlinejustsayknow
pansexual pancake!

#22484863 - 11/06/15 08:19 AM (8 years, 4 months ago)

lols, yeah... good times... good masochistic paranoid abusive times... :laugh:

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #22487471 - 11/06/15 05:56 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

The hunger checks are mostly random I've read. Or set between two different time limits.
I've only gotten one in a medium dungeon before and in one short dungeon I got 2 within 2 hallways.

Here's a half decent quick strat guide.. although it's older most of it is relevant..http://www.darkestdungeon.com/topic/struggling-here-are-some-tips-to-help-you-survive/
(aside from the don't buy torches part) - I don't think dark runs are even that viable with the current patch with how fking hard it is
I've been running with the Vestal – Plague Doctor – Bounty Hunter – Crusader lineup as my A team and that's been doing pretty damn well
Plague doctor tries to keep the back row stunned with blinding gas while the rest plow away at the front people. Works pretty well

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom