Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules, Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles, CBD Oils   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Hot Plate, Pressure Cooker, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineDiamonds808
New love formushies.
Female

Innco. directly into whole oat jars
    #22447069 - 10/29/15 12:39 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

Hi,

I was wondering if you are able to innco. either edibles (I have blue oyster and shiitake) or cubes (a few strains) directly into whole oats?

Most people do WBS then do G2G, is there a specific reason for this? Or do you just get a better yield doing WBS then oats...

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePsilosoulful

Re: Innco. directly into whole oat jars [Re: Diamonds808]
    #22447139 - 10/29/15 12:53 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

Using a MS syringe on any kind of grain is risky because they are rarely 100% clean and usually harbor some type of contam. Growing it out on agar (you only need one drop per plate) and transferring a clean wedge to your grain jars is the best method to take IME for contam free spawn. :super:

OfflineDiamonds808
New love formushies.
Female

Re: Innco. directly into whole oat jars [Re: Psilosoulful]
    #22447182 - 10/29/15 01:05 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

^ Thanks for your response but I'm just starting out so really want to focus on just using syringes right now.

I just picked up a 50lb of whole oats so would ideally just like to innco directly into the jars vs buying another bag of WBS, waiting, G2G, and waiting some more.

Invisiblepuff4200
Natural born lever puller

#22447205 - 10/29/15 01:12 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

The different types of grain have no effect on yield, mostly people choose different grains for spawn because of availability in there area. You can definitely us a MS syringe to inject into jars that have been prepared and pressure cooked properly. If your getting your syringe from a sponsor or other trusted source rather than a random person it will more than likely not be contaminated. Many many people use multispore to start there jars, but as you continue you'll find it sucks waiting for the spores to germinate and you get a better yield from an isolate.

InvisibleKalistis
 User Gallery

Re: Innco. directly into whole oat jars [Re: puff4200]
    #22447218 - 10/29/15 01:17 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

Yes, you most certainly can. I love oats and have done MS to oats twice now. One is currently fruiting without any issues with contaminants. Of course you increase your chances of success by using a trusted sponsor and increase things even more if you go MS to agar then agar to grain, but if you want to start somewhere MS to oats is fine!

I prefer the boil and not soak method, simply because I think the grains take in more than enough water boiling. This isn't the case for other grains.... which is partly why I like the oats!

Let us know how it goes.

--------------------

OfflinePsilosoulful

Re: Innco. directly into whole oat jars [Re: Kalistis]
    #22447241 - 10/29/15 01:22 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

If you must use the syringe, make sure you inject the jar in a SAB and flame sterilize the needle before inoculating through your SHIP or just crack the lid and shoot no more than .5cc into the jar. And make sure you don't wipe the needle with iso or anything after flame sterilizing, that's a classic mistake, and will allow contams to stick to it.

Also, don't shake the jar afterwards, you want those spores to stay as close as possible, so they can germinate quickly.

Invisiblepuff4200

Re: Innco. directly into whole oat jars [Re: Psilosoulful]
    #22447254 - 10/29/15 01:26 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

:whathesaid: except I use 1-2ml of spores per quart jar. I've used less and more and that seems to be the sweet spot. I wouldn’t go with just cracking the lid and squirting it in, you want gas exchange. Most people use tyvek, micro-pore tape, self-healing ports, or filter disks. There are plenty of teks to look at and figure out how to make your jars.

InvisibleInocuole
Scalpel of Evil's Bane
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ★
Trusted Cultivator
    #22447264 - 10/29/15 01:30 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

Cracking a lid to inoculate doesn't mean the lid doesn't have a filter.

--------------------
                            :rainbowdrink: Tea doesn't work?                            AMU  (Q & A)                  Grain prep for Intergalactic Space Oats :pes:     

Coir-ca-cola
Jokes are funny until they're about you

Invisiblepuff4200

Re: Innco. directly into whole oat jars [Re: Inocuole]
    #22447281 - 10/29/15 01:35 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

Fair point, I guess I just wanted to make sure nobody was thinking jars straight out of the pack. I know my jars just have a hole poked with a filter disk, have to open them to innoc them.

InvisibleKalistis
 User Gallery

#22447300 - 10/29/15 01:44 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

I started with SHIPs and transitioned over to jars with just SFD's. Same, same, just no point for a SHIP with agar.

I only use about 0.7 ml of solution so I can get more bang for my buck. Honestly, I don't think it speeds up colonization by adding more. Just aim for the side of the jar so the solution runs down the glass/grain. Otherwise it is difficult to monitor progress.

--------------------

OfflineDiamonds808
New love formushies.
Female

#22447390 - 10/29/15 02:12 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks for the replies guys!!
Quote:

Kalistis said:
Yes, you most certainly can. I love oats and have done MS to oats twice now. One is currently fruiting without any issues with contaminants. Of course you increase your chances of success by using a trusted sponsor and increase things even more if you go MS to agar then agar to grain, but if you want to start somewhere MS to oats is fine!

I prefer the boil and not soak method, simply because I think the grains take in more than enough water boiling. This isn't the case for other grains.... which is partly why I like the oats!

Let us know how it goes.

Thank you! Yes, syringes were from a vendor.

What method is that? I did:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/21029762/fpart/1/vc/1

But I really wasn't the fan of dumping boiling water in, too many pots! Lol. I'd rather just have them in a pot, boil them, and leave them. So if you have any suggestions, I'm all ears!

and thanks for the tips InvisiblePsilosoulful.:wink:

InvisibleInocuole
Scalpel of Evil's Bane

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #22447432 - 10/29/15 02:24 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

Haha you can just soak those,  or not boil anything at all.

I'm still offended that you skipped steps on my tek, even if it doesn't matter. :nono:  :rofl:

Granted it's probably easier when you have two PCs, one to boil in and one for the oats.

InvisibleKalistis
 User Gallery

#22447454 - 10/29/15 02:32 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

This is the one I used.

No rinse, no soak.

--------------------

InvisibleInocuole
Scalpel of Evil's Bane

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #22447465 - 10/29/15 02:36 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

:standingby:

--------------------
                            :rainbowdrink: Tea doesn't work?                            AMU  (Q & A)                  Grain prep for Intergalactic Space Oats :pes:     

Coir-ca-cola

OfflineDiamonds808
New love formushies.
Female

#22447488 - 10/29/15 02:45 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Inocuole said:
Haha you can just soak those,  or not boil anything at all.

I'm still offended that you skipped steps on my tek, even if it doesn't matter. :nono:  :rofl:

Granted it's probably easier when you have two PCs, one to boil in and one for the oats.

LMAO, I didn't even realize that it was your tek! You're so famoooooussss. :3

AND, I didn't skip any steps. Just needs too many pots for boiling and holding grains! I had grains in my rice cooker and a large pot. Boiled water in a large pot, medium pot, and small pot (used all 4 burners with one holding a lrg pot of grains). Poured boiling water into lrg pot with grains. Now, my 2nd large pot is empty so I can pour my 2nd half of grains (that were resting in my rice cooker) in there. Now use the boiling water from the small and med pot to fill her up.

SEE HOW THERE'S TOO MANY STEPS when you have too little and too small pots?!?

InvisibleInocuole
Scalpel of Evil's Bane

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #22447524 - 10/29/15 03:01 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

I'll just add more notes to it that you can skip stuff soon.  Before long the whole damn thing will be skippable.

It'll just be

1.put oats in pot
2.put water in pot
3. remove oats and water from pot
4. come back when dry

And nah I'm not famous at all for anything other than maybe being a dick around here.  And that would be infamous.  I just wrote that and a few other things to help even out the search engine results so there's more answers and less questions.

--------------------

Coir-ca-cola

OfflineMachiavelliavore
Vermiculite Hater
 User Gallery

Loc: The Sporetorn States
    #22447526 - 10/29/15 03:04 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

FYI, the reason it isn't mentioned much is that oats are usually a good deal in 50lbs bags from feed stores, while inoculating directly with a spore syringe is a beginner's technique.  Basically on the one hand you have a grain preferred by hardcore growers, and an inoculation technique said hardcore growers would rarely use.

Personally, I feel the risk in using a vendor quality syringe, or any syringe really, on grains is not really that great.  I've had no issues with it when I've done it.

--------------------

I spawned some popcorn casings and had double-overlay cause I didn't put enough hydrogen peroxide in my automated aquarium mister.  I only got one mushroom so I cut off the head part where the seeds fall from and put it in a jar of LC and sprayed it all over a tin of PF cakes I made with gravel, cardboard, and bisquick in my microwave.  I think it will be good cause B+ is so potent.
Triggered yet?

Only a square would say "a cube is a cube."

No, this does not look right...

InvisibleInocuole
Scalpel of Evil's Bane

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Innco. directly into whole oat jars [Re: Machiavelliavore]
    #22447528 - 10/29/15 03:06 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

I have noticed that spores don't like germinating on oats as much as they like some other grains, for some reason.  Or at least I had that experience the very few times I tried inoculating them with spores.  Agar jumps right off into it but I never got spore germination on oats personally.  Doesn't say much since I didn't do much trying.

--------------------

Coir-ca-cola

OfflineDiamonds808
New love formushies.
Female

Re: Innco. directly into whole oat jars [Re: Machiavelliavore]
    #22447530 - 10/29/15 03:07 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

^ Thanks for clearing that up. Whole oats just seem *sound* healthier than WBS. >x<

Hm.. ^^ so boiling is a waste of time.
I SEE...

Soak 12 -24 hours?
You should be famous for over 12,000 posts!!!

InvisibleInocuole
Scalpel of Evil's Bane

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #22447534 - 10/29/15 03:08 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

Boiling isn't a waste of time, plenty of people do it with good results, and it gets you your prepped grains faster.  I did say I was lazy, not that I got work done quickly.  You have to do whatever suits you.  More important than how you get there are how the grains look after they're prepped.

Having had 12,000 things to say in a couple years isn't really impressive, it's a testament to how much time I've spent here when I should've been doing something else.

--------------------

Coir-ca-cola

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules, Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles, CBD Oils   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Hot Plate, Pressure Cooker, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation