Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePaquemahn
Paquemahn
Loc: floating cannabis island
success rates
    #2243200 - 01/15/04 01:34 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I like looking at things from a scientific perspective, I'v never grown before but I know everything I need to know on growing, but not everything I want to know and thats why I'v got a couple of questions First I would like to be able to shake my substrate during incubation, what are the success rates of using materials like polyfill,coffee filters, or silicone(I always thought that you could put silicone on the nail hole in the canning jar lid to make self healing contaminate-free jars)? Also could you have the jars setting on there sides during incubation for constant gas exchange?

--------------------
non-corporis being

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblesimplemachine
Manfly
Male User Gallery

Re: success rates [Re: Paquemahn]
    #2243224 - 01/15/04 01:51 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

[url]www.fungifun.org/polyfill[url]

My success rate is 100% with polyfill. Everytime.

use this tek with millet flour subtituted 1:1 for brown rice flour in the pf tek. Fill the jars 1/2-2/3 full, and use no dry verm layer. Bust up the substrate after PC or steaming by whacking the jar on something real hard. This busts it up into super shakeable flour/verm powder. Jars should be incubated upside down for max 02 xchange, but sideways is just fine. Shake every couple days and cakes are done in 1-2 weeks. hope that helps!

--------------------

OfflineGranola
bag lady

Loc: 50.0N-6.0E
    #2243378 - 01/15/04 05:33 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

silicone is fine during incubation but really not needed, it's cheaper to use tape, silicone during fruiting willl give you mutants.
You'll still need a couple of gas exchange holes, but the silicone would be good for an injection site, just dont cover all the holes

Coffee filters, some people like to use them, I only recomend them if you use polyfill or tyvek (9x12 priority mail envelopes) under the filter. I get sediment through some coffee filters so I'm sure they wont work to 10 microns.

Invisiblesimplemachine
Manfly
Male User Gallery

Re: success rates [Re: Granola]
    #2243384 - 01/15/04 05:39 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

[qoute]I get sediment through some coffee filters so I'm sure they wont work to 10 microns

yeh my coffee is always full of poop at the bottom:thumbup:

--------------------

Anonymous

#2243472 - 01/15/04 07:39 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I've had success with coffee filters for pf style jars(with no verm barrier) but polyfil is what I use for grain.....never had a problem.....its cheap as shit easy to use and a bag will last you forever AND its easy to find

Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
    #2243483 - 01/15/04 07:49 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

IMO, if you want sterility, maximum substrate mass and the best way to shake substrate, get some filter-patch bags. I can fit 32 PF jars worth of substrate in one bag (if I want) and keep it in my dirty-ass kitchen and it'll still be sterile because it's a closed bag. I've had a 0% contamination rate, so far, too. Just be careful when inoculating -- use rubbing alcohol, etc. You can pre-seal them, too -- just don't blow up your pressure cooker (do a search on pre-sealed bags)

The best thing is you can buy brown rice 2 lb. for 79c, cook it with just water (in the right ratios -- I use 6 lbs rice to 4.5qts water) and put the cooked rice in the bag and seal + sterilize. $2.37 of rice = around a half pound to a pound of dry portabellas, so with two bags you're guaranteed all you can eat for about a year. BTW -- you can get bags for as low as .50 - $1.00 if you look hard enough.

Cheers!

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

Offlinetrkgsy
e-mail bomber
Loc: Mid-atlantic US
Re: success rates [Re: micro]
    #2243936 - 01/15/04 11:54 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Hey Micro,
I've noticed you're a pretty big bag advocate and also I saw a reply of yours detailing some easy, clean way to do grain2grain with bags and liquid.

Why don't you draw up a complete bag tek Micro-style since this strikes me as some good shit?

I've grown with straw+poo bags but nuthin else.

Trkgsy

Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
Re: success rates [Re: trkgsy]
    #2243988 - 01/15/04 12:13 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I was actually thinking about this the other day -- there should prolly be a bag section in the FAQ. If people want I'll include the inoculum thing. I'll move this to FAQ contributions.

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

Invisiblesimplemachine
Manfly
Male User Gallery

Re: success rates [Re: micro]
    #2244551 - 01/15/04 04:26 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Why don't you draw up a complete bag tek Micro-style since this strikes me as some good shit?

yeah I want to see the micro tek!:thumbup:

or more like mico's maxi-tek? :wink:

no that sounds like a feminine product...:confused:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale