Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Aquarium Heater

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineTao
Village Genius

Loc: San Diego
small disaster
    #2241591 - 01/14/04 02:38 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

i was trying for the first time to use an incubator. i had just bought an aquarium heater, i had a 10-gallon rubbermaid container, filled it with a few inches of water, put in the aquarium heater set to 86 degrees, put the jars in a baking pan, put a shirt over the jars to cover them and put the lid on the container.

when i checked it the next day, the shirt had become soaked from the humidity, which had caused the baking pan to tip and fill with some water which got water (!#%$*@) in the jars (through the inoculation holes), not only that, but two jars cracked, one so much that pieces of glass came off and i had to throw it away.

was the mistake putting a lid on the rubbermaid container or was it putting a shirt over the jars?

right now im going with no top and just the dry shirt. though i have sparingly little hope that any of the jars will work. what would you recommend to correct the setup? in hindsight, i probably should have a) taped the holes and b) spent a bit of extra cash and bought another full size 10-gallon rubbermaid instead of scrounging for a deep(ish) baking pan. what else would you have suggested?

this is what it looks like now that i dont have the lid on:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineKreeprCeepr
Dont mistakelack of talentfor genius!

Loc: Oregon
Re: small disaster [Re: Tao]
    #2241637 - 01/14/04 02:49 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

The reason for so much humidity is because of the way you have it set up, im sorry about your cakes that sucks. go to pf tek for simple minds and look at what there incubator looks like, it works much better and only costs you another rubbermaid (instead of your jars). Good luck.

--------------------
"My lands are where my dead lie buried" Crazy Horse R.I.P

Native Pride

OfflineKreeprCeepr
Dont mistakelack of talentfor genius!

Loc: Oregon
    #2241640 - 01/14/04 02:50 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

The reason for so much humidity is because of the way you have it set up, im sorry about your cakes that sucks. go to pf tek for simple minds and look at what there incubator looks like, it works much better and only costs you another rubbermaid (instead of your jars). Good luck. once you buid a tub-in-tub incubator you can keep the lid on, but cover it with a blanket to seal in the heat, you dont want your heater TO high, because the jars themselves create heat. good luck with your project.

--------------------
"My lands are where my dead lie buried" Crazy Horse R.I.P

Native Pride

OfflineMax1
MaxiMillion

#2241661 - 01/14/04 02:58 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

When i made my first incubator i did the same thing. I didnt have the disaster you have but the humidity was a BIG problem. Get another tub just like you have and fill it with a few inches of water and the heater then set the second tub in on top and put the lid on it. I also rap the entire thing around the sides in a blanket just to reduse temp bleading. It is by far the best way for you given your equipment...the top container stays dry and not near as much humidity. It is very easy to keep clean no chance of water born problems.

Max

Offlineoutaker
cack
    #2242769 - 01/14/04 11:49 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Humidity in a incubation chamber is not necessary, humidity is only really necessary during the fruiting stage.

OfflineTao
Village Genius

Re: small disaster [Re: outaker]
    #2254303 - 01/19/04 11:11 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

yeah, i know humidity is unnecessary, i was just being cheap with the whole thing, and picked the wrong item to be cheap with. so i bought another rubbermaid (a whopping 2.50 approx) and seeing if i can salvage any still . otherwise, its back to ralphsters.

Offlinealienated
contaminationgrower

Loc: kali-forn-I-A
    #2254728 - 01/20/04 01:34 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

i noticed in the pic that your rubbermaid has holes by the handles, kind of like breathing holes. might want to tape those badboys up to help keep heat in. also, if you're like me, and use your incubator also as your terrarium, youi're going to want to cover those holes w/ either polyfill, tape, or something because you dont want outside contams coming in. g'luck!

pz

--------------------
-m.

I dont even grow these things... I just post for this guy that knows a guy, who's sisters boyfriend dumped about 2 months ago.

Offlinedisturbed
Poutine andSodomy
Male User Gallery

Loc: O-H-I-O
    #2254820 - 01/20/04 02:13 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Unless you are incubating large amounts of jars, putting the fish tank heater in a jug of water works perfectly fine... thats how i always do it and it works great, it's much less of a hassle than filling another rubbermaid with water and having to tie down the incubator into the water filled one... i use a strofoam cooler for my incubator though so i don't know if that has anything to do with the results or not..

--------------------

11/25/07 first time entrant ban lottery champion

OfflineTao
Village Genius

Re: small disaster [Re: disturbed]
    #2255132 - 01/20/04 06:32 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

here's what it looks like now:

disturbed: i dont quite understand what you mean by putting the fish tank heater in a jug of water? i cant think of a jug of water that would fit either the heater or the 5 pint jars i have.

alienated: thanks for the advice, i taped up the holes (after i took the picture)

only problem is, i can only get the rubber maid down an inch or two into the water. should i try to tie it down? or is that fine? unfortunately, my thermometer doesnt seem to be working too well, so i just put the aquairum heater on 86 degrees and trusted it to work itself out.

Offlinedisturbed
Poutine andSodomy
Male User Gallery

Loc: O-H-I-O
    #2255564 - 01/20/04 11:23 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

all you do is use your original rubber maid container, put a jug of water inside of it, and put the fish tank heater inside the jug of water. put the jug of water in the middle of the rubbermaid and have your jars surrounding it. just set the temp to 85 degrees and the heat will dissapate from the jug to the jars and keep the temp perfect.

--------------------

11/25/07 first time entrant ban lottery champion

OfflineTao
Village Genius

Re: small disaster [Re: disturbed]
    #2262944 - 01/22/04 03:56 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

thats a good idea, but i think my heater is too long for any jug i have.

so should i tie the tub down or should i just turn the heater above 86 degrees?

and one last question: since water got into my jars, am i waiting just to see whether they will contaminate or is there a chance that the mycellium simply won't grow at all and i should buy some more spores now? <--- it would be very helpful if someone knows if there's a chance of this.

--------------------
Magash's Grain Tek  + Tub-in-Tub Incubator + Magash's PMP + SBP Tek + Dunking = Practically all a newbie grower needs :thumbup:

OfflineJetBlackNinja
Pimp-o-licious
Loc: $%^&
    #2262951 - 01/22/04 03:59 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

TaoTeChing said:
and one last question: since water got into my jars, am i waiting just to see whether they will contaminate or is there a chance that the mycellium simply won't grow at all and i should buy some more spores now? <--- it would be very helpful if someone knows if there's a chance of this.

There is always a chance to get contams. If the contam fairy chooses you, then it's your time. Simple as that.

Should you order extra spore in case? That's up to you, only you know what you need and what you can afford.

BUT, if your question is "Water got in my jars, can this cause contams?" then your answer is: Yes. It might not, but it could easily cause contams.

--------------------

Offlinem0rb
mushroom mobster

Loc: New England
Re: small disaster [Re: JetBlackNinja]
    #2264654 - 01/23/04 03:35 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I agree with JetBlackNinja. Personally, I would rather be safe than sorry. I would recommend getting another syringe of what ever strain your using.

-m0rb-

--------------------
"The business of America is business," - Calvin Coolidge

OfflineDocPsilocybin
enthusiast

Re: small disaster [Re: m0rb]
    #2265000 - 01/23/04 08:12 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Hope for one jar to pull through I guess. So you can use that one to G2G from, or uhhh, PF to PF from? That's what I'd do... Then again I'm cheap!

--------------------
You can't hold a man down without staying down with him.
-- Booker T. Washington

OfflineTao
Village Genius

Re: small disaster [Re: JetBlackNinja]
    #2265944 - 01/23/04 04:05 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

thanks, but my question was more about whether getting water in the jars can cause the mycellium to stop growing?

--------------------
Magash's Grain Tek  + Tub-in-Tub Incubator + Magash's PMP + SBP Tek + Dunking = Practically all a newbie grower needs :thumbup:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Aquarium Heater

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation