Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Peat, Vermiculite, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Can you use potting soil in a casing??
    #2241172 - 01/14/04 11:27 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

In december I innoculated 10 pint jars. 5 with Ecuadorian, 5 B+. 2 of the B+ passed on to the next world. The Ecu. have colonized at an amazing rate. Could this be due to the fact that I used 2cc's per jar? In any case I am contemplating casing and just growing the cakes. I created a terrerium out of a 31 gallon rubbermaid container. The temp is approx. 74 degrees. If I made casings I heard that I didn't have to put them in the terrerium I could just sit them under my bed. Is that true? Also I ran accross somthing called the shroom wizards guide. This is what it said about casing...

In this phase of the process we will be going over how to introduce the mature mycelium to soil in preparation for fruiting. It is a very easy process and the sterility is not of great importance anymore because the mycelium in your jars is mature at this point and is fairly strong and capable of fighting off most invading spores and bacteria on its own from this point on.

Step 1: The supplies you need to get together for this step are, the potting soil, the vermiculite (you should have a lot left over), a spray bottle of plain water, a large mixing bowl, a large spoon, your plastic trays and the substrate jars with the mycelium growing in them. Make sure you have all of these supplies in one place before you begin the next step.

Step 2: In the mixing bowl, add 1-1/2 cups of potting soil and 1-1/2 cups of vermiculite. Mix these ingredients together using the large spoon until they are well combined. Using the spray bottle of plain water, lightly spray the mixture and mix with the large spoon several times until the mixture is moistened to field capacity, meaning that if you take a handful of this mixture in your hand and squeeze it into a ball it will hold its shape but no water will drip out. We want the mixture moist but not saturated.

Step 3: Pour the soil/vermiculite/water mixture into one of the trays and spread it level on the bottom (at least one inch deep). Remove the lids from three of your substrate/mycelium jars and dump the contents on top of the soil mixture on the bottom of the tray. Using freshly washed hands, crumble the mycelium/substrate cakes into small pieces (about the size of marbles) and spread them out into an even layer on top of the soil/vermiculite layer.

Step 4: Put 3 cups of plain potting soil into the mixing bowl. Using the spray water bottle and the large spoon, spray and mix back and forth until your soil as reached the field capacity stage (as described in step 2). Pour this into the tray on top of the crumbled mycelium/substrate cakes and spread level with the spoon. What you should have now is a three layer sandwich. Bottom layer being soil/vermiculite, center layer being crumbled up mycelium/substrate cakes and top layer being plain premoistened soil. Put the lid on the tray and repeat this process with your other jars and trays until you have all of your jars cased.

Step 5: Place these filled and covered trays in a closet, under your bed or in a dresser drawer and leave them alone for seven days at room temperature. They do not require any light during this time, but if they do get light it is alright, its just not necessary."

I have looked on the posts and found nothing about using potting soil in a casing. Can this be done? If so would I need to sterilize this as well? How important is it to sterilze my fruiting container? I am using plastic shoeboxes with lids. The boxes have been painted black as to keep light from coming in on the sides.

Kudos to the maker of the shroom wizard guide. mshroomer@yahoo.com

"If you don't eat your meat you can't have any pudding... how can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?" PF.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
Re: Can you use potting soil in a casing?? [Re: Dalinkwent]
    #2241191 - 01/14/04 11:34 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Colonization speed depends on a lot of things, like substrain and syringe potency, and, yes, amount of inoculum.

You can use potting soil in the mixture, but it's not the best -- I'd go with peat or coir. Just me.

Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

myco maniac
    #2241213 - 01/14/04 11:53 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Actually - Jiffy Mix potting soil works very well

it's verm, peat, and a bit of lime to tweak the pH.

It's worked very well for me in the past.

By "I", I of course mean a good friend of mine who happens to live in the fine city of Amsterdam. "I" is just so less awkward.

#2241335 - 01/14/04 12:35 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

potting soil definitely works but coir is just so much better

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Peat, Vermiculite, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation