Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinewhole9
LOVE ME BITCH

The meaining of life
    #2240545 - 01/14/04 01:24 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Well I have a definitive definition.

Life: IE: To Live:

The property or quality that distinguishes living organisms from dead organisms and inanimate matter, manifested in functions such as metabolism, growth, reproduction, and response to stimuli or adaptation to the environment originating from within the organism.

its like ya thats life, dont try to contradict this, dont even accept it, believe it and live on!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
Re: The meaining of life [Re: whole9]
    #2240573 - 01/14/04 01:37 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

*sighs at "dont try to contradict this"*

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Loc: : Gringo
    #2240578 - 01/14/04 01:38 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Good idea!

I'm not so sure it's that simple though. That doesn't help me out when I'm lying on the bathroom floor cutting my thighs with a disposable razor and torturing the cockroach I dug out of the toilet.

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
-- :meff:
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

Offlinedjd586
Underpants Gnome

#2240593 - 01/14/04 01:42 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

The meaning of life to an intellgent creature might have many profound meanings. To us there may be many emotional a spiritual connections to the meaning of life we seek.

Biologically speaking, the meaning of life, is to make more life. Organisms small and large, intelligent or not, are inately wired to pass on their genetic information to the next generation.

--------------------

Phase 1... collect underpants... phase 2...??? ... Phase 3 - PROFIT!

Offlinemanna_man
High onlife.....andcrack

Loc: Vancouver
    #2240646 - 01/14/04 02:17 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Why do we feel compelled to assign a meaning or purpose to everything?

Wouldn't it be much more fulfilling to simply let it be, to live life as it is right now, free of any purpose or direction at all? Think of it this way: which is more enjoyable? A walk to the grocery store to buy sugar for a cake, or a walk simply for the purpose of walking?

--------------------
This post is protected under copyrite law.All above content is strictly the property of ?manna_man.Any infringement of copyright property is strictly prohibited.Any violators will be stretched, shot, and then vaporized into a state of anti-matter, where they will cease to exist.

Offlinewhole9
LOVE ME BITCH

Re: The meaining of life [Re: manna_man]
    #2240787 - 01/14/04 04:07 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

WRONG ITS TO LIVE YOUR LIFE, THATS THE FIRST PRIORITY. THE PURPOSE OF OUR LIFE IS TO REPRODUCE, BUT THE WAY OF LIFE IS TO LIVE.

Invisiblechunder
marker

Loc: The City
    #2241221 - 01/14/04 11:59 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

If by 'purpose' you mean biological purpose, then I don't think it's to procreate. If anything our biological purpose right now would be to stabilize our environment, and one of things we'll have to accomplish in order to do that is to decrease or more efficiently manage our population.

But I suppose that 'purpose' is just as arbitrary as any other, depending on which level of the macrocosm you're perspective originates from. However, when I assign something a 'purpose', especially something like my life, I try to make it meaningful in a positive and helpful way. One way I can do that is to restrain from the instinct to pass my genetics on, which is a direct contribution to the BIGGEST problem in the world today (IMHO).

But hey, you're right that the way of life is to live. Its all we can do! ; )

--------------------

Offlinebenjamin
da shroom

Re: The meaining of life [Re: chunder]
    #2241345 - 01/14/04 12:38 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

the true meaning of life is something that defies a logical explanation. To say otherwise, to believe that the purpose you have in mind for your life is to indulge the subjectivity of the mind. in other words, what you value in your life is completely different than what anybody else values in their life. in philosophy its important to understand the ideas of other well-respected thinkers, but at the same time believing in almost nothing that you study. skepticism is your best friend. and just because you don't accept anything doesn't inherently mean you have no morals, or that your life is aimless, it simply establishes yourself as a critical thinker. i don't think that humans have a purpose that we can understand, but at the same time a life without meaning is a rather depressing concept. so in my opinion every single person on this planet is fulfilling their part in the grand scheme of existence. even the depressed dude on the floor in the bathroom cutting his legs and torturing cockroaches is fulfilling his own existence, and is fulfilling his role in human existence. everybody fights to preserve their existence, even him, but the ones who fail were doomed from the day they were born. as much as we like to think circumstance plays an important role in how our lives play out i believe much the opposite. another person with the same circumstances as him might be married with children, or traveling around the world, or anything else depending on how he has reacted to his environment, which is tied up firmly in genetics. i think people would be a lot happier if they abandoned the notion that life has a meaning that can be summed up in a simple maxim, its never been done and there have been a lot of really intelligent people walking this earth for thousands of years and none of them have found "meaning." the best tool for being happy and fulfilling your existence, in my opinion, is the ability to let go of the notion of any kind of descript meaning to life and being able to accept life, blindly accepting that your circumstances are what life should be and not asking what it could be.

Offlinedjd586
Underpants Gnome

#2241495 - 01/14/04 02:05 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

But W9... if you don't fullfill your purpose of life and reproduce your life is meaningless... Yes it is true the meaning of life to live. But the meaning of living is to reproduce.

This is all biologically speaking of course.

--------------------

Phase 1... collect underpants... phase 2...??? ... Phase 3 - PROFIT!

Offlinegobecky
her, no not her!

Loc: San Francisco
Re: The meaining of life [Re: djd586]
    #2241543 - 01/14/04 02:24 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Life is about the journey. We all end up at the same destination, death.

--------------------
-There he goes one of god's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never intended for mass production. Too weird to live, too rare to die.
---Hunter Thompson

Invisiblekaiowas
mndfrayze'speppet urme
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #2241603 - 01/14/04 02:40 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

meaning: that which is intended to be, or actually is, expressed or indicated; signification; importance

procreation, sure. you can apply many meanings, or none at all. either way the only way I se it is life=experience.

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.---senior doobie

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology