Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineoDin
the other side
    #2238385 - 01/13/04 05:01 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

never rode a train. an adventure awaits. the trains stop is almost forgotten. paint peeling, thank god for the govenment tossing money away at amtrak i guess. nightime. looking out all one can see is a few scattered lights. this land is almost humanless. i like that. many i know say how thay hate this backwater. "the people there are all drunks" but you know thats not true and i have become to prefer these places. distant from the nauseating culture that the "american ego centric buy everything you want even if you dont need it cuz it shows how good i am?" has spawned. here you are accepted simply for what you are and that is that. if you want to destory yourself thats you. one doesnt feel pressure to conform... the only rule: not infringe on others...kinda like the old west i suppose. seems my soul prefers that anymore...to look out and see endless blackness dotted by distant farm lights...in my elelment at this point of life. a native man/boy kisses his woman and child goodbye. he wears ultra baggy clothes with skulls on them. no one takes a 2nd notice.. course there is hardly a soul at this unmanned train stop to begin with. the wind howls. the train comes to a stop. it almost seems like a spaceship on a distant planet, even though it has stopped here countless times. we move from the windless side of the building and some paint chips fall to the snowy ground as I drag my arm against the side of the train station. The native girl sits down and clutches her child, no longer in the familiar. they begin a ride into what i assume is the relative unknown.

having just got off work i change my clothes in a bathroom hardly big enough too stand and piss in. the faint odor of splattered urine floating in the air. the train is filled with all sorts of people. crackheads, minorities, rich, old, rude, asleep...quite the eccentric mix really. the line goes from chicago to seattle. other than annie, the only other person i honestly feel any connection with is the young native girl and her tiny baby...i almost want to shield her from these freaks but in reality she can probably take better care of herself than i can of me. its foggy and they leave the lights on in the cars all the time, so much for a moonlit night ride through the snowcapped mountains. the pirate movie johnny depp just made comes on...i cant say a movie is what i wanted in this experience but there is some decent cleavage that draws my attention a couple of times. otherwise i shield my face with my hands and stare out into the blackness hoping to see the awesome..even if only a glimpse

the other side of the mountains. this is the land of the anglo. of bloated real estate prices for mountian property. where "hippie" kids come to spend the winter and appear all hippie and poor or whatever. reality is that you cant live here like that unless daddy is footing your hippie bill...no the vast majority of people here are what the rest of the world calls "american". a land where the longtime residents are losing a battle to live what was even as they enjoy the trappings of what is to become. loggers, miners and cowboys are quickly being replaced by yuppies and whatever else you call those that can afford to show you what they can buy. the new residents want to appear like they are "local" and be "cowboy". they appear as mostly fools to me. this is the side where its hard not to be judged if you sway from the norm. here to speak of where i had just came from is to draw replies of bigotry more times than not. here is to see what i was once before i got a real glimpse of the other side of ther mountains. here they are "experts" on a people they know nothing of, only what they think they know. but here is things i can't get on the other side. a culture and things that i will never not be at least a part of. yet the trendy overpriced gift shops and bars are many and kinda overwelming...slight culture shock. we get off the train and walk down to a good ol boy bar flooded with boarders and skiiers. drink a few beers and a taxi wisks us away to the most reasonable motel we could find.

this weekend i was shown the area from a local that had been here since he was a kid. we meet alot of people, see alot of places and i am constantly bombarded with the negativity that comes towards the natives who i work for. i cringe hearing words and ideals that i used to hold. a girl on horse for pleasure, enjoying one of the highest standards living around tells me she thinks the rezervations should be abolished and the she doesnt believe in them...in my head im thinking "well i bet the natives arent too fond of the whole system either.....cunt". instead i tell how she is mounting her horse wrong (with her fat ass) and how there is the correct and easy way to do it. she then proceeds to mount that same way she was before....the wrong way. never to break away from something because its her way. she will die doing and believing the same. stagnant. sad. souless. imo.

and who am i to think such morally superior things?...i dont know..hell i may be wrong about everything....someone told me once the more someone thinks they know, the less they actually do...but here i feel judged by many for what i do with who. we fill the rest of the time drinkin too much beer and eating foods laced with too much hot peppers with another good ol boy that is alot like me...he also works for the natives so we share a common experience..life is good.

the return trip on the train is in the light of day. stunning and beautiful...foggy then clear. through tunnels and avalanche sheds...by lofty snow covered beauty..across icy rivers and past eagles and crows...all bathed in the light called sunrise. we begin to talk to a girl much like ourselves i think, doesn't seem to judge but listens intently to answers to questions she has asked. i scribble an email addy on a sugar packet as we cruise past mountain trails i am somewhat familiar with..hand it to her and wonder what will become of this chance meeting. well because serendipity rocks and she is all chatty with annie. their voices melt away as i stare outside...we flow past a few horses...past a few abandoned trailer houses...past a few deserted cars..onto the plains..yeah the mountains just appear "better" from this side. the windy less populated side. sadly many of those from my tribe will never know this side. the train stops once again, as it has for a century, at a train stop hardly anyone ever gets off at, or thinks they want too. we are the only ones to disembark. the wind hits my face and i smile.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineGlacius
Lang
 User Gallery

Loc: Western Cordillera(Inverm...
Re: the other side [Re: oDin]
    #2241226 - 01/14/04 12:03 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Brilliant!! :laugh:

--------------------
addicted to reason
a hollow understanding trapped me
I cannot see outside but its calling

Offlineshaggy101
Male

Loc: ..still waiting for godot
    #2241450 - 01/14/04 01:32 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

am I hallucinating or just alive?
very nice

OfflineboOM
Female User Gallery

#2241805 - 01/14/04 03:46 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

great story enjoyed reading it

InvisibleRipple
Ripple
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the timbers of Fennario
    #2242642 - 01/14/04 10:00 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Great post Odin!

Thanks  :cool:

--------------------
The bus came by and I got on that's when it all began!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> The Pub