Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinebenjamin
da shroom

psychology
    #2237058 - 01/12/04 12:46 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

i was at one point in my career a psychology major, now i know i can never be satisfied with what psychology has to offer. the whole science is so elaborate and critical but yet has not a single solid explanation for anything happening in my mind. in my opinion psychology is an endless, in my opinion futile, chain of discovery that leads nowhere. i guess its my belief that for psychology to be completely actualized, anyone educated in the profession should without a doubt be able to solve anybody and everybodys mental ailment. The thing is, psychology is basically a spectator sport. the science advances through observation, through statistics which are inherently useless because of their subjectivity. in essence psychology is this constant unearthing of some deeper principle that governs the way we all think. but the real truths will always be out of our reach, like something buried at the center of the earth. we keep coming up with mental afflictions which are deemed the cause of more obvious symptoms which are manifested in even more obvious symptoms. it digs an endless hole to the root of all consciousness which can never be found.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
Re: psychology [Re: benjamin]
    #2237069 - 01/12/04 12:53 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Psychology is pretty cool, but it's not my calling. (Shh! Don't tell anyone I'm here!)

I went through counseling for a few years. It helped me so much that my life is competely different from how it was before counseling.

Aside from that, look at the cool things we learn about our brains from studying psychology:

Carl Rogers: Theory of closure...

Ellis: cause and effect

Freud: How to do cocaine

There is a lot, and these are just a few things I remember off the top, but I think learning about the mind and how it operates and then helping people with your knowledge and education and all that, why, that's a pretty good accomplishment and a good use of one's life. That is, "if" you're called to it. You may simply not be called to do that, and then you need to find something else to do.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Offlinebenjamin
da shroom

Re: psychology [Re: Frog]
    #2237089 - 01/12/04 01:03 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

yea i'll admit that people do benefit from it, without a doubt. I'm only saying that some people can't, and basically that we'll never have the solution to everyone's problems. I've been through therapy before and after i went through it i decided to become a psychologist. but its not my calling which i now know, i'm a born skeptic and always will be. I just think that people seek psychological treatment too readily, and some people i've watched go back to therapy again and again and again and again and still get nothing from it. i just wish those kind of people would give it a rest and try relying on themselves for the answers. i think some people just want the answers handed to them like its a miracle solution to all of lifes problems. the best thing you get out of therapy is that chance to talk to somebody who will really listen and will generally reaffirm your beliefs and give you that confidence to solve problems on your own. with that in mind i tend to think, or rather hope, that psychology isn't much more than a trained professional with a keen sense for the aesthetics involved in a simple conversation, basically knowing what to say at the right moment. so maybe i came off a little too anti-psych in that first post but i will acknowledge its practicality in our world, but with hopes that people will realize that healing is more of an individual process and not simply following the instructions of a professional.

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
    #2237111 - 01/12/04 01:14 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

try neuroscience :smile:

Invisiblemuhurgle
Turtles all theway down

Re: psychology [Re: DoctorJ]
    #2237126 - 01/12/04 01:18 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Neruoscience is more like it. Seems to me that psychology is trying to reduce the mind into something it is not.

--------------------
"To make this mundane world sublime
Take half a gram of phanerothyme."

Aldous Huxley

Offlineanarchyhollow
Creator, DrugExploree

Loc: Heart
Re: psychology [Re: muhurgle]
    #2237264 - 01/12/04 02:14 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Well, almost nothing is complete in reality. There probably won't be a psychological answer to everyone's problems in the future, but psychology sure is something IMO that this society needs. I read in another topic somebody stating that the meaning of life cannot be found as a whole, but you can find little pieces to the puzzle and figure them out. The puzzle is unsolvable, yet the pieces have some value.

--------------------
See, the shrooms explore me. They riddle my mind, they teach me the eternal with direct experience. My soul is one with existance.

Offlinebenjamin
da shroom

Re: psychology [Re: anarchyhollow]
    #2237355 - 01/12/04 03:02 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

yea, i read that post and disagreed too, but not like my opinion really matters because it really is just that, an opinion. i'm really happy though that nobody here gets bent out of shape when the opinion expressed is not your own. this board has a really comfortable aura, and i respect everyone's opinion and I'm happy that we can all have our opinions and nobody gets too serious.

InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
    #2237386 - 01/12/04 03:18 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Tell that to Dr. Phil :smirk: "Dr. Feeel"

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

OfflineOook
Oook!

Loc: England
    #2237401 - 01/12/04 03:25 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I don't mean to sound harsh but psychologists seem arrogant in my opinion, half the time they go away that night to their little book look up what you've said and BLAM! they are immediately in your head.

I was asked by a drugs consellour I saw for a year or so, he asked me to justify my reason for smoking weed. In my case it's because I love being stoned, but no this was not a valid reason so after thinking for a while I said it was to make it easier for me to talk to people(which is in fact the complete opposite for weed).
After this he would not accept any other reason and told me that I used weed as a coping mechanism. After a while I got tired of him telling me things I knew for a fact were wrong, so i was like "yeah i feel really happy now" and guess what he says? "I can really notice a difference in your mood you seem much happier" When really I was just as unhappy but was just sick of his nonsense.

Sorry if this seems like a rant, as you have already said Ben it does help a lot of people, It helped me for a little while but I think that may well have just been the self indulgence.

P.S. please do not take this as a rant you people have saved/improved thousands of lives over the years, erm i cant think how to end this...

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds