Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Perlite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinebeanchild
bean
geolite
    #2236558 - 01/12/04 08:46 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

can someone thouroughly explain how to build a geolite incubator? or link a proper post! the one I just read wasn't thourough enough in it's explanation, I went tub in tub this time and was wondering if thats a better way?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: geolite [Re: beanchild]
    #2236704 - 01/12/04 11:17 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Forum2&Number=1303334

This is a fruiting chamber.
An incubator doesn?t need geolite.

Offlinebeanchild
bean
Re: geolite [Re: Anno]
    #2236804 - 01/12/04 12:14 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

can i friut in a tub in tub incubator in the top rubbermaid with moistened perlite?

Offlinebeanchild
bean
    #2236814 - 01/12/04 12:20 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

that link is a bit unclear in the instructions because it posts links to buy this hydro thing, dome/bell,and oil pan that i don't see used or instructed any further in the above pics??? confused me! i'll look through the post a bit more but if you could explain these items which arent above pictured i'd be very happy!

Offlinemobiusrunner
myco maniac
    #2236869 - 01/12/04 12:42 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Ok - so a PMP tries to provide optimal conditions for mushroom fruiting in 4 ways:

1. Air exchange - cubensis does best with 1-3 full air exchanges an hour
2. Humidity - cubensis does best with +90% rh in the fruiting stage
3. Light - cubensis needs some light in order to trigger fruiting
4. Temperature - cubensis needs temps in the low-mid 70s (Fahrenheit) to fruit

I tend to find that the most important factor in the speed of growing is the temperature, followed by humidity, then air exchange and finally light. So, lets tackle them in that order.

If you grow in your basement or other place where you don't have temps in the low-mid 70s you'll need to handle that first. A tub-in-a-tub is a good place to start. Temperature handled.

Next there's humidity. Actually a PMP handles both humidity and air exchange in one blow - a combination of water, air bubblers and some material with a highly fractal surface. The way you do it is to first place bubbler wands to the bottom of your inner tub. Then run hoses through some holes near the top of the tub to a regular fish tank pump. Then cover both of the bubblers with around 4 inches of either geolite or lava rock (you'll generally find red lava rock at any gardening center). Finally you'll fill the tub with around 3-3 1/2 inches of water. You should be able to see the water and the bubbles from the bubble wands, but it shouldn't be covering the rocks.

Here's why this setup works...
The surface of both geolite and lava rock is highly fractal (that is its not smooth at all - its surface is rough at every level) this fact allows water to easily get trapped in the little cracks and crevices and thus evaporate and an increased rate. This evaporation is further assisted by the bubblers which force water vapor into the air and keep the water moving. The bubblers also stir up the air in the chamber thus taking care of the air exchange problem quite well.

Finally, to both provide light and keep the chamber a contained environment, get a piece of plexiglass to put on top. You should punch a few holes in the plexi so that the air being stirred up by the bubbler wands will actually leave the chamber.

Once you're setup you only need to keep the water level in check (I actually fence off one corner of my PMP and drew a line on the side of the chamber where the water should be - really helps a lot!). Oh, but if you get a contamination of some sort - you really need to disassemble the whole deal and bleach the hell out of all of it. (otherwise you will probably keep getting contaminations from then on)

--------------------
By "I", I of course mean a good friend of mine who happens to live in the fine city of Amsterdam. "I" is just so less awkward.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Perlite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation