Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Loc: cipherland
What's a guru.. and why have one?
    #2235892 - 01/12/04 01:53 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Frog, I know you have a guru you keep mentioning, so maybe you can tell me. The whole concept of having a guru as I understand them seems kinda.. you know. What do they do? Come up with thoughts for you? And I'm not just referring to Frog's guru but gurus in general. What's the point?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
Re: What's a guru.. and why have one? [Re: Mixomatosis]
    #2235952 - 01/12/04 02:17 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

gu?ru ( P ) Pronunciation Key (gr, g-r)
n. pl. gu?rus
Hinduism & Tibetan Buddhism. A personal spiritual teacher.

A teacher and guide in spiritual and philosophical matters.
A trusted counselor and adviser; a mentor.

A recognized leader in a field: the guru of high finance.
An acknowledged and influential advocate, as of a movement or idea: ?In a culture that worships slimness, he was the Guru of Lean? (Erica Abeel).

I see my "guru" as someone who has been here more times than I have been, and he has more knowledge than I have. This isn't to say that I never disagree with him, but ultimately, he is usually right.

I discuss all matters of life with him, from "love" to "computers". He knows everything, it seems.

I wish he would post here.

The person who comes closest to my guru is MM.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Loc: : Gringo
Re: What's a guru.. and why have one? [Re: Frog]
    #2235955 - 01/12/04 02:18 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

In what subject is he your Guru???

Also, how did you come to find a guru?

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
-- :meff:
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

OfflinePositronius
playboy

Loc: montreal-vancouver-tokyo
    #2235966 - 01/12/04 02:20 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

is he right because you want him to be right?

"The person who comes closest comes closest to my guru is MM"

a girl once asked me "will you be my guru",

I said : "be your own guru".

--------------------
and you know it like a poet, like....babydoll

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Re: What's a guru.. and why have one? [Re: SpecialEd]
    #2235970 - 01/12/04 02:22 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I was lucky. I was searching "life" at the point I met him. He had answers for everything issue I raised, and his answers were very good. Okay, not just very good, you could tell after a while that he had to have acquired his knowledge from more than just having lived on this planet once. Even twice.

He knows about everything. Life, love, computers, etc.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

OfflinePositronius
playboy

#2235974 - 01/12/04 02:23 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

does he know how to fix an 88 jetta? cuz my buddy is having acceleration problems.

--------------------

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Re: What's a guru.. and why have one? [Re: Positronius]
    #2235981 - 01/12/04 02:24 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

As a matter of fact, he used to rebuild all kinds of cars. Ask a question, and I'll relay it to him.

--------------------

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

#2235987 - 01/12/04 02:26 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

does he wear a robe and talk slowly or is he a pretty normal guy? Does he have multiple disciples, or is it more just a guy you met? Would you say you are a member of a cult? What does he ask of you?

OfflinePositronius
playboy

#2235993 - 01/12/04 02:27 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

It seems to me that someone who prescribes to the notion that he or she is fit to be a guru, is lacking something...say...humility?

--------------------

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

#2235996 - 01/12/04 02:29 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

He's a normal guy. Engineer, poet, writer, guitar player, mechanic, etc., ad nauseum.

--------------------

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Re: What's a guru.. and why have one? [Re: Positronius]
    #2235997 - 01/12/04 02:29 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Frog is your guru a humble fellow? Paint me a picture of him if you don't mind.

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

#2236016 - 01/12/04 02:37 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I already posted about him on another thread. I had asked him to come post here. He said no. Waste of his time, because he has already figured these things out and he doesn't feel like coming here to argue with anyone about what he knows.

He comes off as "arrogant" to most people, but he's very empathetic to most. He's a supervisor, he relates to people very well. He's extremely knowledgeable, he reads Cayce, philosophy, Einstein, etc.

He believes in God, karma, the bible, etc. But not the way most normal people believe. He has a different way of believing, that just makes sense.

He has the answer to all things, but not in an arrogant way. It's as if he has the answer, and if you want it, fine, and if you don't, that's fine, too.

I don't mean he's God, and he doesn't see himself as that. It's just that he "knows", and he believes that he gets his knowledge from having been here so many times, and from God, that he believes he can share what he knows, and if anyone is willing to learn, he is willing to teach. Or share, actually.

Humble? The thread that MM started is a good starting point for that answer. Someone who is self-confident and has the answers to a lot of questions, and shares his answers freely, and with strong conviction, could be perceived as arrogant and not humble. He doesn't walk around acting like he is God's gift to the planet. I've caught him in a couple of faux pas, and he has admitted his mistakes, humbly.

--------------------

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #2236027 - 01/12/04 02:42 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Waste of his time, because he has already figured these things out and he doesn't feel like coming here to argue with anyone about what he knows.

Hmmm...could this be because he's afraid his ideas wouldn't stand up to close scrutiny? If I thought I "knew" the truth, I would have no problem discussing it with skeptics.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Anonymous

#2236037 - 01/12/04 02:47 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks. :heart:

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

#2236040 - 01/12/04 02:48 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

So does he have larger following than just you?

OfflinePositronius
playboy

Re: What's a guru.. and why have one? [Re: ]
    #2236042 - 01/12/04 02:49 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Gurus remind me of three-card-monty.

--------------------

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Re: What's a guru.. and why have one? [Re: silversoul7]
    #2236048 - 01/12/04 02:51 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I know what you're saying, but he already came to another forum at my request, and he did stand up to people and state his beliefs, and he had a pretty good time doing it. But they weren't "ready" and they were all insecure and didn't want to listen and discuss. He isn't in the mood to do it again. He thinks I am wasting my time.

But see, I feel I can learn from everywhere, not just from him. But I take everything I learn back to him and discuss the ideas, and get his feedback, see what his "take" on things is.

I've tried to explain to him that this forum is different than the last forum. I've told him about the kinds of things that are discussed here. I'm hoping I will change his mind. If he ever comes here, I will not tell anyone in advance, just to let the natural flow of things take place.

I'm really not saying he's a "god". He's a normal person. It's as if he really has been here before, and he knows the answers to life, somehow. But without arrogance. His knowledge can be percieved as "arrogance" if someone is insecure.

--------------------

InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
    #2236050 - 01/12/04 02:52 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Hmmm...could this be because he's afraid his ideas wouldn't stand up to close scrutiny? If I thought I "knew" the truth, I would have no problem discussing it with skeptics.

In response to that, I'll quote what I've said in another thread skirting off the same area of subject:
Quote:

"Nobody argues that the sun goes up and down"

In other words, those who know...don't say.

Those who know much say little....those who know very little, say very much.

Wise men speak because they have something to say...Fools; because they have to say something.

Not to call everybody who argues and debates on this forum a fool. But this is to point out some of the MAIN reasons why I don't bother too much with discussing or debating my own personal philisophical beliefs that *I* know to be true to myself.

But sometimes I enjoy a lil mental masturbation here and there.  :wink:
Quote:

To which someone responded:
one would think that if someone truly believed in their own ideas, they would be able to defend them in the face of scrutiny.

My response:
I do, and I have, many many times in the past...I USED to debate them alot when I was younger, but now I've discussed most if not all general philisophical discussions on life and its beautiful little intricacies, and like most if not all people, have came to our own conclusions and beliefs, thus I dont feel any special inclination to debate or argue fanatically about my beliefs. If I see a debate occuring where I feel like participating in, whether for the sake of killing boredom or asserting my beliefs or just plain ol mental masturbation, or whatever else, I'll do it.
If I find new, interesting topics or subjects I've rarely discussed or learned about, I'll naturally feel more inclined to gain insights in the matter and so forth.
The whole point I was making, wasn't about protecting beliefs merely in fear of scrutinization; what I'm saying is that when one has achieved satisfaction in a great question that they seek an answer to, and gained the answer whether through self-soul searching, or countless debates, or otherwise, finally finds the answer within themselves that they know to be true, they wont necessarilly feel so much inclined to assert their knowledge FOR that purpose--finding the answer. And this is the case with ME. I feel that no one has the right to impose his or her beliefs on another person. I will not propose to you that my way is best. The decision is up to you. If you find some point which may be suitable for you, then you can carry out experiments yourself. If you find that it is of no use, then you can discard it.
-shrugs-

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

Anonymous

#2236052 - 01/12/04 02:52 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

silversoul7 said:

I have heard that line a billion times. But think of it this way. How much time would you spend explaining something to someone who thought they knew it all before you began to speak?

I don't have any problem discussing anything with an honest skeptic. But, aye, there's the rub. I haven't met one yet.

OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Loc: : Gringo
    #2236053 - 01/12/04 02:52 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Does he know that this is a drug website? How would he feel about that?

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
-- :meff:
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology