Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineamyloid
Stranger
neuropharmacology
    #2235612 - 01/11/04 11:43 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

im very interested in pharmacology and neuro(phsiology/psycology/phamarcology) trying to start a little discussion so i can gain some more knowledge...

so...how about those endorphins....

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineEvilGir
Im the on coming storm

Loc: Planet Irk
Re: neuropharmacology [Re: amyloid]
    #2236000 - 01/12/04 02:29 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

>endorphins

Just natures painkillers, but pain is a weird state of mind anyway, apparently computer games can reduce the pain threshold. So I am gueesing pain is more psychological than ph ysical.

--------------------
Fighting the man the best way I can.

Offlineamyloid
Stranger
Re: neuropharmacology [Re: EvilGir]
    #2245231 - 01/16/04 01:44 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

endorphins are also released in a large quantity when you orgasm. i also read that seeing a sexy body, being touched, smelling the smell of your lover, and interpreting body language can also release some endorphins along with some happy dopamine.

ive read of voodooists doing things completely unheard of in terms of pain, like putting their hands in molten metal, pouring boiling oil over their chest and just a buncha other amazing feats of pain. the gov't trains special ops guys in controlling pain, apparently you can ignore pretty much anything thats happening to you. mind over matter!

--------------------
"A human being is part of a whole, called by us the Universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings, as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circles of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."
-Al Einstein

InvisibleGalvie_Flu
 User Gallery

Re: neuropharmacology [Re: amyloid]
    #2245472 - 01/16/04 04:52 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

kts.

Edited by Galvie_Flu (05/01/11 09:47 PM)

OfflineKremlin
life in E minor
Male User Gallery

Loc: /export/home/Kremlin
Re: neuropharmacology [Re: Galvie_Flu]
    #2245484 - 01/16/04 05:09 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Yah, neurobiology is great

its my minor right now, and im headed off to grad school in hopefully Neurobiology in about a year.

What specific things were you interested in?

--Kremlin

--------------------
"Human suffering has been caused because all too many of us cannot grasp that words are only tools for our use, and that the mere presence of a word in the dictionary does not mean it necessarily refers to something definitive in the real world"
--Richard Dawkins, "The Selfish Gene"

"It is the mind which creates the world about us, and even though we stand side by side in the same meadow, my eyes will never see what is beheld by yours."
-George Gissing

"Without a firm idea of himself and the purpose of his life, man cannot live, and would sooner destroy himself than remain on earth, even if he was surrounded by bread."
--Fyodor Dostoevsky

OfflineRohypnol
Vice Figurehead

Re: neuropharmacology [Re: Kremlin]
    #2247245 - 01/16/04 11:34 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Anyone know any websites or books for people interested in neuropharmacoloy and neurology in general?

OfflineKremlin
life in E minor
Male User Gallery

Loc: /export/home/Kremlin
Re: neuropharmacology [Re: Rohypnol]
    #2249893 - 01/18/04 05:30 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Ive got a great book related to the topics of this website, and beyond:

Solomon H. Snyder, Drugs and the Brain. Scientific American Library, New York. 1996.

Other than that i have textbooks, and random other books at my house, not here with me @ my apartment.

--Kremlin

--------------------
"Human suffering has been caused because all too many of us cannot grasp that words are only tools for our use, and that the mere presence of a word in the dictionary does not mean it necessarily refers to something definitive in the real world"
--Richard Dawkins, "The Selfish Gene"

"It is the mind which creates the world about us, and even though we stand side by side in the same meadow, my eyes will never see what is beheld by yours."
-George Gissing

"Without a firm idea of himself and the purpose of his life, man cannot live, and would sooner destroy himself than remain on earth, even if he was surrounded by bread."
--Fyodor Dostoevsky

Offlineamyloid
Stranger
Re: neuropharmacology [Re: Kremlin]
    #2253301 - 01/19/04 05:53 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

im really interested in the chemical/physical/electrical reactions of neurotransmitters/drugs. most of my knowledge is from chapter 5 of the psilocybin solution and a crappy book i picked up on nueropsychology, it only breifly touches on synapses and chem/electric activity of the brain.

--------------------
"A human being is part of a whole, called by us the Universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings, as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circles of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."
-Al Einstein

Offlineamyloid
Stranger
    #2253317 - 01/19/04 05:57 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

i read in this nueropsychology book about this guy who had this amazing memory. he rememebered this one table with about 60 differnt numbers, 16 years after seeing it, and he only studied it for 2-3 mins. he could recite all the numbers, forwards, backwards, diagonally, the sum of all the numbers, and all the numbers in numerical order. not only could he do trivial shit like remembering numbers, but he remembered "everything" since he was born. even being born he says he remembers. this amazing guy eventually commited suicide when he started getting his senses confused... i.e. he explained how this one lady's voice gave him a hallucination of black sparks flying out of her mouth.. and he also was confusing alot of other senses together...seeing sounds, hearing taste, etc...

--------------------
-Al Einstein

Invisiblechinacat72
eyes of theworld
 User Gallery

Loc: Terrapin Station
    #2253616 - 01/19/04 07:29 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Rohypnol said:
Anyone know any websites or books for people interested in neuropharmacoloy and neurology in general?

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...sb=5&o=&fpart=1

--------------------
Some rise
Some fall
Some climb
To get to Terrapin!!!

Offlineamyloid
Stranger
Re: neuropharmacology [Re: chinacat72]
    #2254208 - 01/19/04 10:41 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

that thread pwns!

--------------------
-Al Einstein

Offlinebowling-name
sleuth

Loc: Mirror in the Sky
    #2255148 - 01/20/04 06:57 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

For psychopharmacology, I recommend:

A Primer of Drug Action : A Concise Nontechnical Guide to the Actions, Uses, and Side Effects of Psychoactive Drugs, Revised and Updated by Robert M. Julien

...and the definitive source for general neuroscience is probably this book:

Principles of Neuroscience by Kandell, Schwartz, and Jessell

There are thousands of books and journals written from the perspectives of both the behavioral (e.g. cognition, consciousness, clinical and neuropsychology, learning, memory, and perception) and "hard" (e.g. molecular and developmental biology, organic chemistry, biophysics, artificial intelligence, etc.) sciences as well, not to mention numerous from the intersection of each of these disciplines.

InvisibleLe_Canard
Danger Man

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #2255170 - 01/20/04 07:21 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

My Uncle had a photographic memory too. All he had to do was see a page in a book for a few minutes and could quote it verbatim. I always have envied people that had this gift. :smile:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: pH Test Strips

General Interest >> Science and Technology