Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Herb Grinder, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineAdreamer323
journeyman
Substrate Formula
    #2235576 - 01/11/04 11:19 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Out of curiousity....My friend has always stuck to the tried and true vermiculite + brown rice flour as a substrate. My question to y'all is staying along those simple lines are there a few good additions and in what quantity to that formula to pump it up a little bit??? Like does the Verm+Brown rice flour get better by adding some flax seed?? That type of a thing. Or if you got a good formula that kicks some ass and doesn't even use the Verm+Flour as a base, then I'd love to hear it. This questions comes after my friend tried the alien sub. formula that, with all the cooking and what, went rather off course. Hope to hear some responses. Thanks all. Enjoy.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Substrate Formula [Re: Adreamer323]
    #2235592 - 01/11/04 11:30 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Use Wild Bird Seed Flour in place of the brf. Pick out the sunflower seeds and grind it up in blender or coffee grinder.

--------------------
Live for the moment you are in now
Don't be bogged down by your past
Don't be afraid of what lies in your future

Offlinedistortion
 User Gallery
Loc: Murder Mitten Flag
Re: Substrate Formula [Re: niteowl]
    #2235603 - 01/11/04 11:37 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

There is no reason to grind the wild bird seed

--------------------
Think for Yourself. Question Authority.

-Timothy Leary

Invisiblesimplemachine
Manfly
Male User Gallery

Re: Substrate Formula [Re: distortion]
    #2235704 - 01/12/04 12:33 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

well if you don't have a pc I think grinding it up into flour is a damn good idea!

--------------------

InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Australia
Re: Substrate Formula [Re: simplemachine]
    #2235821 - 01/12/04 01:17 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

well if you don't have a pc I think grinding it up into flour is a damn good idea!

It sure is!

But what isn't IME is using whole grain millet ground to a flour. My reasons are stated in this thread. Adreamer323, check the work by hanky, in same thread.

--------------------
Convert Metric and Imperial.

InvisibleYarry
Old Timer
 User Gallery

Re: Substrate Formula [Re: Starter]
    #2235980 - 01/12/04 02:24 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

so hey, if u grind it into flour and just steam bath it it'll be cool?

--------------------
Grumpy Old Man.

InvisibleHanky
wiffle bat.
Male User Gallery
Loc: Great Southern Land.
Re: Substrate Formula [Re: Yarry]
    #2236001 - 01/12/04 02:30 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

this may help anyone interested in using hulled millet.

i started playing with organic hulled millet (OHM) when i started out not that long ago.

i tried alsorts of ratios,such as swapping half the brf for ohm,normal brf and a half measure of ohm,i played around with water ratios etc.

the last batch i made was the best sofar and was 2parts verm,1part water,1part brf and 1 part hulled millet.

this mix gives twice the normal nutrient reserve of a standard pf cake,it's also generaly agreed that millet produces a higher psilocybin content.

i use half pint jars as i like the fast colonisation speed.

i PC my jars for around 50 minutes to an hour.

cakes made this way really need to be cased to realise their full potential,i'd suggest using straight coco-coir,i've played around with coir/verm mixes at different ratios,and have found that straight coir works the best(the main difference i noticed is much less shrinkage than with 60/40 etc.

moisten the coir to feild capacity(should drip just a little when squeezed)PC the coir in pint jars for 30 minutes(you can pack as much coir per jar as will fit.

use a bottom layer of coir about 3/4 to 1 inch deep and mist well with a 25/1 water/H202 mix

then dump the colonised cakes (dry verm layer and everything)into clean ziplock bags,crumble well then add coir so you have about a 70/30 mix(starters rez effect)mist the substrate/coir genourously while still in the bag,then lay the substrate mix onto the bottom layer.

finaly add a quater inch top layer and mist once again.

place into incubator at 86f for three days,mist the surface once each day,after 72 hours patch any areas that have broken thru,dont add more coir,just use a knife or something to push the coir around from the uncolonised part to the colonised areas,doing this makes it easier for the uncolonised parts to break thru and catch up.

birth on the forth day no matter how much of the surface area is colonised(most people incubate for way too long)also dont mist the surface of the casing after myc starts to break thru,mist for the last time when you patch.

if you dont have a good incubator(i recommend a tub in a tub)and you have problems maintaining 86f your going to have to allow more incubation time.

--------------------
Coaster is an idiot...
[quote]Coaster said:
but i thnk everything thats pure is white?
[/quote]

InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Australia
Re: Substrate Formula [Re: Yarry]
    #2236248 - 01/12/04 03:55 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Nice solid breakdown (and reasons for) to your method hanky. :smile:

YarryShroomer, the method of boiling water with PF jars, an inch deep in the drink, standing on a trivet to sterilise (a.k.a steam bath), has been discussed many times. It's about the only method (in absence of a pressure cooker) that works -- though the sucess rate won't match a pressure cooker. Also search "fractional sterilisation" in the FAQ.

Why?

Flour, unlike whole grains, has a much greater surface area so contaminants can't "hide" -- the heat (steam) will get them. So whether it's BRF or hulled millet flour, same thing. Flour is flour. Though I have already spoken on why whole grain millet ground to a flour is a flop IME.

Of course, a pressure cooker virtually guarantees success. So if you have a pressure cooker or can borrow one, use it.

--------------------
Convert Metric and Imperial.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Herb Grinder, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation