Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Website Announcements and Feature Feedback

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
How to Use the New Search Engine
    #2234881 - 01/11/04 04:32 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

The new and improved Search Feature in UBB.Threads 6.4 is very powerful, however if you're not familiar with how to use it properly, it may not yield the results you are looking for.

To Perform a Search:

• Go to the Search Page

• Select the Category, Forum or Forums that you would like to search from the left.
    - Selecting a Category will search all forums in that category.
    - Selecting one forum will search in just that forum
    - Selecting multiple forums will search only withing those selected forums

• On the right, to search a keyword enter it into the box. You can click "Advanced Search Tips" for more help.
    - Entering a single keyword will search for that word.

- Entering 2 or more words will search for each word, as if there were an OR operator. So entering peanut butter will search for posts containing peanut OR butter

- Entering 2 or more words WITH PLUS SIGNS will search with an AND operator. So entering +peanut +butter will search for posts that contain peanut AND butter but they do NOT have to be together.

- Entering 2 or more words IN QUOTE MARKS will search for the phrase. So entering "peanut butter" will search for posts that contain the PHRASE peanut butter and will not return the post if it contains only one of the words.

- Entering 2 or more words with A MINUS sign will exclude words from the search. So entering +peanut -butter will search for posts which have the word peanut in them and DO NOT have the word butter.

- You can mix and match search operators. For example, entering "peanut butter" -jelly would return posts containing the PHRASE peanut butter and NOT containing the word jelly.

- Entering "peanut butter" +jelly -dance would return posts containing the PHRASE peanut butter and containing the word jelly but NOT containing the word dance.

• Below that, you can choose whether you are searching the subject AND body of the posts, or just the subject.

• Under the Username search section, you can enter a username here. This can be done with or without keywords. So entering "peanut butter" +jelly + dance in the keywords and the username of navaho would return posts containing the PHRASE peanut butter AND the word jelly AND the word dance posted by the user navaho.

• Next select a date range. There's an option to search all posts, or search for posts newer or older than a certain criteria. Narrowing down the search time will increase the speed of the results.

• Next you can choose how many results per page you wish to view.

• As well as choose to view a profile of the body. If selected this will show you the first few words in the body of each post.

• When you are finished, click "Submit".

How to courtesy of www.ThreadsDev.com

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: How to Use the New Search Engine [Re: Anno]
    #2603272 - 04/26/04 03:05 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

For a different explanation read http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/24389 .

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: How to Use the New Search Engine [Re: Anno]
    #2606191 - 04/27/04 01:50 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Is it a good thing to be hooked up to Google?

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
Peace. :mushroom2:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels Flag
Re: How to Use the New Search Engine [Re: fireworks_god]
    #2606918 - 04/27/04 04:40 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Hell yes! I asked Anno to throw the google search on there so if people weren't finding answers to their questions on the BB, they would have a quick alternate function to search the entire site which includes the static front-end information (of which there is heaps of), as well as the archived historic posts.

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels Flag
Re: How to Use the New Search Engine [Re: fireworks_god]
    #2606919 - 04/27/04 04:40 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Hell yes! I asked Anno to throw the google search on there so if people weren't finding answers to their questions on the BB, they would have a quick alternate function to search the entire site which includes the static front-end information (of which there is heaps of).

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

Offlinetoastandjam
Tastes Grate, Lesh Philling
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: How to Use the New Search Engine [Re: geokills]
    #8626360 - 07/12/08 07:30 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

I know this is old as dirt but I didn't find what I was looking for and a bump is better than making a new thread.

Is there a way to search within a thread apart from having to 'show all'? 

There are a lot of 10-15+ page threads where I remember something generic but the forum search would return a pile of results.  If possible, a search limited to the desired thread would return very useful results without having to load up the whole thing.

--------------------
Q: We wanted to see if you had the ability to expand your mind and your horizons... and for one brief moment, you did.
PICARD: When I realized the paradox...
Q: Exactly. For that one fraction of a second, you were open to options you'd never considered. That's the exploration that awaits you...not mapping stars and studying nebulae... but charting the unknowable possibilities of existence.

To carry yourself forward and experience myriad things is delusion. That myriad things come forth and experience themselves is awakening. -Dogen Zenji

InvisibleYthanA
٩(●̮•̃)۶
Male

Loc: NY/MA/VT Borderlands, USA Flag
Re: How to Use the New Search Engine [Re: toastandjam]
    #8626790 - 07/12/08 09:47 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

There wasn't a way to do this, but since you searched first and posted in the right place the least I can do is add it. :wink:

And by the way the information in this thread is outdated, there are more options for the search now so please go to http://www.shroomery.org/forums/searchtips.php to view the current syntax.

InvisibleDisco Cat
iS A PoiNdexteR

Re: How to Use the New Search Engine [Re: Ythan]
    #8627457 - 07/13/08 12:58 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

That's a great addition. Might I suggest moving it to the top of the page, though?

InvisibleYthanA
٩(●̮•̃)۶
Male

Re: How to Use the New Search Engine [Re: Disco Cat]
    #8627519 - 07/13/08 01:17 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Glad you like it and thanks for the suggestion. :smile: I don't think it would really fit how you envision it though because the breadcrumbs can get pretty long in certain forums, eg:

At any rate, I believe it makes more sense to keep it out of the way. Even though I'm sure it will be very helpful at times, I just can't imagine it will see such frequent use as to require a more prominent position. And I suspect anyone who's looking for a "search this thread" option will find it anyway. But depending on how people actually end up using it, I'm always willing to reconsider the placement.

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Americas
    #8628165 - 07/13/08 06:25 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Ythan said:
Glad you like it and thanks for the suggestion. :smile: I don't think it would really fit how you envision it though because the breadcrumbs can get pretty long in certain forums, eg:

At any rate, I believe it makes more sense to keep it out of the way.

yes, keep out of way.

Otherwise this place will turn into mycotopia with three pages of administrative bullshit and bitching before the first hint of content is encountered.

InvisibleDisco Cat
iS A PoiNdexteR

#8628263 - 07/13/08 07:41 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Ythan said:

Ah, I see your point.

Invisibleroquet
Expat tippler
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dubai بجدية عربي...
Re: How to Use the New Search Engine [Re: Disco Cat]
    #8647652 - 07/17/08 05:44 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

would it be possible to have an option to only return threads with the searched for words AND which contain pics? Maybe also only the pages with pics on. A bit like image search on Google.

InvisibleYthanA
٩(●̮•̃)۶
Male

Re: How to Use the New Search Engine [Re: roquet]
    #8647665 - 07/17/08 05:47 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Hmmm... not without changing the way that posts are indexed, but it might be possible. Would anyone else use this feature?

Offlinetoastandjam
Tastes Grate, Lesh Philling
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8652501 - 07/18/08 09:23 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Ythan said:
There wasn't a way to do this, but since you searched first and posted in the right place the least I can do is add it. :wink:

And by the way the information in this thread is outdated, there are more options for the search now so please go to http://www.shroomery.org/forums/searchtips.php to view the current syntax.

Cheers, thanks much Ythan!  You run an amazing site and we're all most grateful.  :cheers:

--------------------
Q: We wanted to see if you had the ability to expand your mind and your horizons... and for one brief moment, you did.
PICARD: When I realized the paradox...
Q: Exactly. For that one fraction of a second, you were open to options you'd never considered. That's the exploration that awaits you...not mapping stars and studying nebulae... but charting the unknowable possibilities of existence.

To carry yourself forward and experience myriad things is delusion. That myriad things come forth and experience themselves is awakening. -Dogen Zenji

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Feedback and Administration >> Website Announcements and Feature Feedback