Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineToTheSummit
peregrinus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Las Vegas
Being a 'handyman' sucks ass!!
    #2234766 - 01/11/04 03:16 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I've been in the construction industry all my life and the last thing I want to do on my time off is home improvement projects.  But because I am such a handy fuck around the house my wife always ropes me into these jobs anyway.

The list of things I've done on this house is ridiculous.  Poured a concrete slab, layed over 2500 brick, ran wiring and general electrical, installed 2 different water softening systems, installed sprinkler systems, removed tile counters in kitchen and had replaced with corian, installed a new garbage disposal (during counter/sink replacement) and had to re-plumb the entire kitchen sink system to make it all work, ran cable TV to the spare room (through the walls, not exterior), installed surround sound system wiring (during construction phase), fully insulated the garage (also during construction), painted the entire garage, painted some interior rooms and hung wallpaer border, installed a dog door (through the kitchen wall into the backyard), not to mention the countless day-to-day maintinece it takes to be a home owner.  And I'm sure this is not a complete list, just what rolled off the top of my head.

And now, I am once again in the midst of another large project.  The entire first floor of my home is getting wood flooring put in.  So yesterday I moved everything we own either upstairs or into the garage and proceeded to tear out all the carpet and vinyl flooring and all the basesboards.  Right now the only thing downstairs is a TV and 2 pieces of our sectional couch to sit on and a stack of wood flooring waiting for installation.  The whole house is just a bare concrete slab.  And the walls are bare also because we are gonna do some painting this week while there is no flooring to mess up.  My house looks like a construction site (again!).

No doubt I have saved countless thousands of dollars doing all these things myself in the last 3 years (yes, my house was built brand new only 3 years ago).  But I sometimes wish I was one of those people who can barely change a lightbulb so they hire others to do their work.  Unfortunately for me, I am not one of these people and my wife knows it.  She refuses to pay for anything that she knows I can do (which is just about everything).  So I get stuck doing shit like this on a regular basis.

Oh yeah, I am also a good mechanic.  This means that our cars never go to a shop.  They get pulled into my garage when they need fixed and you-know-who gets to do the repairs!  I hate being a handy guy! :mad2:

--------------------
You invented the wheel....You push the motherfucker!!

Edited by ToTheSummit (01/11/04 03:19 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: Being a 'handyman' sucks ass!! [Re: ToTheSummit]
    #2234825 - 01/11/04 03:57 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

yeah yeah.. the blessing is a curse sometimes.
But that's like saying.. oh man when I played that show in front of 20,000 people and all these hot chicks and crazy fans were hunting me down afterwards that really sucked. I mean I know it comes with the territory of being a touring musician but damn man can't those people find something better else to do than bug me backstage? heh.

all I'm saying is look on the bright side. You got a house, you got a wife, you got mad skills. Sure, because you're so good at it, she's gonna want you to fix everything... but come on.. at least you get to live in it, and at least she knows you're good and trusts you to totally rework the house like that.  Your right though you've probably saved thousands and thousands over the years doing your own work instead of hiring other contracters. Unless of course you have the cash and you just want to be lazy.. then kick back and hire them and say deal with it wifey  :grin:

--------------------

OfflineToTheSummit
peregrinus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Las Vegas
Re: Being a 'handyman' sucks ass!! [Re: Shroomism]
    #2235176 - 01/11/04 07:26 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Mabey you're right. Maybey I shouldn't bitch. But I'd love to trade in a bunch of my handyman skills for some mad skills as a bassist! Then I could make money doing something I love and pay for the things I need fixed. I don't think any musician would say the opposite, that he'd trade his musical skill to be a better plumber!!

--------------------
You invented the wheel....You push the motherfucker!!

OfflineoDin
Re: Being a 'handyman' sucks ass!! [Re: ToTheSummit]
    #2238300 - 01/13/04 02:19 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

i somehow forgot my automotive abilitles go figure :wink:

i dont know i have a passionate hatred for crawling under a dirty dripping vehicle..but man i would love to help you with the other projects....sometimes distance sucks

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> The Pub