Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Respected people and strange beliefs.
    #2233159 - 01/10/04 12:05 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

How come it's so difficult to find respected psychologists with an interest in ESP? Or respects astronomers and astrophysicists with an interest in UFOs and abuductions?

Wouldn't some of the intelligent people who believe in these things so strongly decide to work towards a PhD so they could formally study these things? Is there something they learn along the way to earning their education that creates skepticism?

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
Re: Respected people and strange beliefs. [Re: Phluck]
    #2233163 - 01/10/04 12:08 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I dont think that the areas of study you mentioned are all that easy to get research grants for.

Why arent there more neuroscientists working to find and perfect new recreational drugs?

Because they are all working for Pfizer trying to find and perfect new anti-depressants.

Edited by DoctorJ (01/10/04 12:09 PM)

InvisibletrendalM Happy Birthday!
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
    #2233173 - 01/10/04 12:21 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

It's hard to be a UFO/ESP researched and be considered "respected" simply because of what you are researching! There are people with PhD's working on these things, but they get no respect because we are trained to think of such work as unrespectable.

Simple as that, I think.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #2233194 - 01/10/04 12:40 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Career suicide

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Re: Respected people and strange beliefs. [Re: DoctorJ]
    #2233379 - 01/10/04 02:47 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

"Why arent there more neuroscientists working to find and perfect new recreational drugs?

Because they are all working for Pfizer trying to find and perfect new anti-depressants. "

Most of the best neuroscientists are employed by universities and hospitals, actually.

It's difficult to get a grant for anything without being able to offer some data showing your research is worthwhile, despite this, a lot of researchers are working on strange and often overlooked fields.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Re: Respected people and strange beliefs. [Re: trendal]
    #2233381 - 01/10/04 02:51 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

"There are people with PhD's working on these things, but they get no respect because we are trained to think of such work as unrespectable."

In order to earn respect in the scientific community, you could run some well conducted experiments and publish papers.

Where's the research?

--------------------

Offlinedaba
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2233382 - 01/10/04 02:51 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Money is what makes the world go round!

--------------------
Fold for The Shroomery!

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
    #2233400 - 01/10/04 03:01 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Because they'd be laughed at and subject to ridicule. Scientists are people too (future bumper sticker?) and will stoop to low tactics to keep their turf. Ridicule does have a chilling effect upon scientific research. People just don't want to risk their careers and income by swimming against the tide. And yet many discoverers of common technology we use today were initially attacked and ridiculed by domesticated primates posing as fellow scientists, only to overcome in time. Most revolutionary science takes a generation to become commonly accepted. You don't really change people's minds, you wait for the dinosaurs to die out.

Evolve or die.

And not only that. Let's dramatically speed up evolution by removing ridicule and schoolyard tactics that hold back the human race doubly- materially and spiritually. Let's take our collective feet off the brakes and see what we can really accomplish.

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Re: Respected people and strange beliefs. [Re: Jellric]
    #2233410 - 01/10/04 03:08 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Ok, fine, where are the renegade researchers?

Could it possibly (just a tiny chance) be that there is no evidence to be found?

Here's a quote from a teacher on an astronomy message board:

"When I was a child first looking at the night sky, I saw UFO's all the time. I probably came in over a hundred times from outside blabbing about the UFO I had just seen when I was about 8 years old.

Alas, as my knowledge of the night sky grew, my sightings became fewer until the vanlished altogether.

But that doensn't mean I don't look. I still hope for that excitement again, seeing something I can't identify, and learning what it really is (moving or not!)

And, of course, I have had to argue with people over weather they are seeing Venus or a UFO...when I am standing there looking at Venus (bang head against wall).

Rob"

Another from a different poster:

"A friend of mine was driving through the country in the south of England when he happened to notice a glowing disc moving slowly high above him. He decided to follow it. As he drove, he realised that other drivers had also noticed it and had also decided to follow it. They went for some distance, eventually discovering the cause: a rock band was putting on an outdoor performance and they were shining a spotlight on the clouds to attract an audience.

Despite the clear explanation, the local newspaper did an article about the flying disc the next day. They quoted someone who had spotted the disc but who had not followed it: "There is no way you'll convince me that was anything other than a UFO."

It's this leaping-to-the-least-mundane-conclusion that really gets me about UFO believers.

I've also noticed that most people don't normally look up. This is the reason why CCTV cameras don't have to be hidden - simply put them high up and nobody will see them. Human beings, other than astronomers, mountaineers and pilots, are a two dimensional species for the most part. Because people don't look up, they are not familiar with the things that are in the sky. When they do look up at night - prompted usually by some "documentary" about UFOs - they suddenly notice Venus, aircraft, birds and so on. And they leap to the least mundane conclusion, making liberal use of Occam's rapid hair-growing potion.

And although the purported UFOs never do anything other than fly around a bit (before they presumably fly home), it's yet more evidence that aliens are among us.

I know some otherwise intelligent people who seem to think that the sheer number of supposed sightings means there must be something in it. "Oh, they can't all be wrong!" If it wasn't for the level-headed people on this bulletin board, I think I'd go quite mad..."

--------------------

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Re: Respected people and strange beliefs. [Re: Jellric]
    #2233413 - 01/10/04 03:09 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

"And yet many discoverers of common technology we use today were initially attacked and ridiculed by domesticated primates posing as fellow scientists, only to overcome in time."

For every Galileo there were 1000 Alex Chius.

--------------------

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
    #2233425 - 01/10/04 03:18 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Or respects astronomers and astrophysicists with an interest in UFOs and abuductions?

what's to research? eyewitness accounts? I think most astronomers and scientists prefer actual physical evidence to study. the thing is, unfortunately, there just isn't that much evidence out there... it doesn't mean that they don't exist, just that they can't be studied comprehensively.

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Re: Respected people and strange beliefs. [Re: infidelGOD]
    #2233427 - 01/10/04 03:19 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Exactly... no evidence.

--------------------

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

#2233431 - 01/10/04 03:25 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

"And, of course, I have had to argue with people over weather they are seeing Venus or a UFO...when I am standing there looking at Venus (bang head against wall)."

lol. I had that same argument with some of my friends!

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: Respected people and strange beliefs. [Re: infidelGOD]
    #2233438 - 01/10/04 03:29 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Every year in Vegas during the Consumer Electronics Show, the Fuji blimp flies overhead. At night is certainly looks most unusual - and of course there are always increased UFO reports during that week. Go figure.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Re: Respected people and strange beliefs. [Re: Swami]
    #2233460 - 01/10/04 03:38 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

well Vegas is a hotspot for UFO activity. but probably only due to it's proximity to Nellis AFB. I've seen some strange things myself on the drive out there... I just don't jump to any conclusions.

Anonymous

#2233841 - 01/10/04 07:48 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Phluck said:
How come it's so difficult to find respected psychologists with an interest in ESP? Or respects astronomers and astrophysicists with an interest in UFOs and abuductions?

Wouldn't some of the intelligent people who believe in these things so strongly decide to work towards a PhD so they could formally study these things? Is there something they learn along the way to earning their education that creates skepticism?

It's worse than that. Try to get something unpopular with the scientific community published in a peer-reviewed journal. This is why I don't give the blessed "peer-viewed journals" ex cathedra status. They are far too cliquish.

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Re: Respected people and strange beliefs. [Re: ]
    #2234582 - 01/11/04 09:42 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

How many of you are involved in the scientific community, anyways?

--------------------

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #2234599 - 01/11/04 09:53 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

"How come it's so difficult to find respected psychologists with an interest in ESP? Or respects astronomers and astrophysicists with an interest in UFOs and abuductions?"

no evidence IMHO. do you think we can look at this in a couple ways maybe? for the UFO's: why isn't there any evidence? either there isn't any, or there's a conspiracy. I'd go for the former, but only because I have no evidence to back up the conspiracy theory :lol:

I don't really know about psychologists and esp though so I can't speak for that. what I think though is that these people who study these things don't really have any evidence, but are looking.  most "intelligent" people who are in these fields, most who go to college for at least 6-8 years, study something more tangible.

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

Edited by kaiowas (01/11/04 09:56 AM)

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #2234601 - 01/11/04 09:54 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I'm majoring in astrophysics right now, gonna transfer to a UC this year.

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Re: Respected people and strange beliefs. [Re: kaiowas]
    #2234606 - 01/11/04 09:59 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah, I think that's what a lot of people here seem to be ignoring.

There actually have been studies done on these things, but nothing of any real interest has been found. The people who believe and spread these ideas, for the most part, have no knowledge of the scientific process or what constitutes a well laid out study, and will sometimes carry out "experiments" on their own, not realizing to what extent they are bringing in their own biases and misconceptions. Other outsiders read about this, and believe that the scientific community has some sort of irrational biases against the study of these things, when in reality, there's nothing to study. No evidence, no experiments to carry out, just a bunch of people who have some wild stories.

Read:
http://skepdic.com/control.html

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck