Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineVertigo
Mycovoire
Loc: Panhandle
Anamitas in FL Pics!!!
    #2232192 - 01/09/04 08:16 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

These are some anamita muscaria that I ran across after running some bike trails around here. I got a flat so I went to the main road while my friend went back to get my car. As I was walking down the side of the road they caught my eye, what luck! I found them a couple days ago but just got back to to photograph and harvest. It worked out because the small one wasn?t there yet. The most juvinille fruit displays the classic traits the best. You?ll notice that they lose a lot of their red coloration for a much lighter melon/orange color as they matured. Let me know if I should take some other specific shots. I?ll be printing them as well.

Edited by Vertigo (01/09/04 08:40 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineVertigo
Mycovoire
Re: Anamitas in FL Pics!!! [Re: Vertigo]
    #2232251 - 01/09/04 08:43 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Sorry, it took me a couple of tries to get that right. I have a couple more shots that I might put up tomorrow.

--------------------
"One side will make you grow taller, and the other side will make you grow shorter."

OfflineVertigo
Mycovoire
    #2232283 - 01/09/04 09:09 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Can someone possibly tell what variation of the species these are and what the specific effects of them are. Also what would be considered a dose? I'm using the search which let me know that there are variations but haven't found much else.

--------------------
"One side will make you grow taller, and the other side will make you grow shorter."

Offlinewookie
life enthusiast
Male User Gallery

Loc: the north state (Californ...
    #2232306 - 01/09/04 09:24 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

nice find vertigo. There was someone else from florida that posted some amanita finds from florida. looks like most of the ones you found were over mature ay? I cant tell you what variety they are, Im not familar with the varietys yet.

--------------------
-=* dUMb \/\/00kIe *=-

OfflineVertigo
Mycovoire
Re: Anamitas in FL Pics!!! [Re: wookie]
    #2232338 - 01/09/04 09:57 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I'm looking on Erowid right now. I'm pretty sure that they're A.Muscaria var. muscaria. It also seems that they should be dried in the oven @ 170-200F to convert Ibotenic Acid into Muscimol. Can anyone back this up with personal accounts?

--------------------

InvisibleOldSpice
Geritol Breath...
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crankytown, Texas
Post deleted by Administrator [Re: Vertigo]
    #2232345 - 01/09/04 10:02 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

--------------------
So hard to be ....WDWGFH?
Texas is humongus compared to France
Our Gair, who art in Texas,
Paw Paw be thy Name....
My friends are thirsty

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrist office:biker:

OfflineVertigo
Mycovoire
Re: Anamitas in FL Pics!!! [Re: OldSpice]
    #2232406 - 01/09/04 10:29 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Well let that be an invite to those with years of exp. to give me a 100% ID. From what I've read, the ill effects are reduced by converting the Ibotenic Acid. This is supported by reports of fresh ingestion being hellish and dried/toasted ingestion being more pleasurable. I'm not planning to eat them myself but other I know are interested.

--------------------

InvisibleOldSpice
Geritol Breath...
Female User Gallery

Post deleted by Administrator [Re: Vertigo]
    #2232438 - 01/09/04 11:07 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

--------------------
Paw Paw be thy Name....
My friends are thirsty

OfflineVertigo
Mycovoire
    #2232455 - 01/09/04 11:13 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I thought about printing them but it seems almost pointless other than for novelty or to have a look at the spores. Hopefully Effed or MJ will take a look soon. I think Effed has personal experience with ingesting these.

--------------------

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #2232480 - 01/09/04 11:25 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Those are Amanita muscaria var. flavivolvata. Note that, in the photos of the button, the tissue of the volva is distinctly yellowish compared to the stipe. One of the most important features of this species is that the volva almost always forms several parallel rings of tissue near the base of the stem. You can see that, although not real clearly, in your bottommost left photo.

Incidentally, according to Dr. Tulloss (the current authority on Amanitas in North America), A. muscaria var. muscaria only occurs in North America where it has been transplanted with trees from Europe, or adjacent areas where it might have spread. There are a lot of books which state that the muscaria variety are the common red ones here, but he says they're actually fairly rare in North America. If he ever gets around to publishing his stuff, we're going to see some major revisions of our ideas on the Amanitas in North America.

All of the varieties if A. muscaria contain the same toxins. The amounts vary considerably from area to area, and there is probably some variation also due to variety or subspecies. Since the levels of toxins can vary by more than a factor of 2, you should aim to err on the side of caution if you decide to eat any of them. Take a small dose the first time. You can always take a bigger dose next time.

Happy mushrooming!

OfflineBluMonkee
keeper of thelittle people

Loc: Lookin' for an Incident
    #2234073 - 01/10/04 11:29 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

a wonderful Florida find, I know how I felt when I walked up on my first patch of A. Muscaria lying await in the pines of N Florida :loveeyes: :loveeyes: :loveeyes: :loveeyes: hope you felt the same  :tongue2:

--------------------
"If I don't see ya' in the future, I'll see ya' in the pasture"

InvisibleOldSpice
Geritol Breath...
Female User Gallery

Post deleted by Administrator [Re: BluMonkee]
    #2234148 - 01/11/04 12:30 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

--------------------
Paw Paw be thy Name....
My friends are thirsty

OfflineVertigo
Mycovoire
Re: Anamitas in FL Pics!!! [Re: BluMonkee]
    #2234182 - 01/11/04 12:57 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

That's a nice pic! Have you ever eaten them? BTW what time of year did you find those?

--------------------

OfflineBluMonkee

#2234206 - 01/11/04 01:18 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I have yet to consume any A. Muscaria, I may at some point....hard to say  :smirk: to stumble upon their beauty unexpected whilst on a trek through the forest is a wonderous feeling in and of itself though  :heartpump: :heartpump:

CHEERS!!!!

found within the last few weeks in N Florida  :thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineBluMonkee

#2234214 - 01/11/04 01:23 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

anytime, my friend  :sun: my pleasure  :wink:

--------------------

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Anamitas in FL Pics!!! [Re: ToxicMan]
    #2234650 - 01/11/04 10:42 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Hi toxicman,
you said in your post above that:
Quote:

There are a lot of books which state that the muscaria variety are the common red ones here, but he says they're actually fairly rare in North America.

I have been picking the bright red Amanita muscaria in the PNW for more than thirty years. It is not rare or fairly rare as your expert suggested in the above quote, but is fairly commmon in the USA.

And the same Bright Red Amanita occurs on the island of Kuaui under Flash Pines imported from America in the late 1800s.

Amanita muscria has already been reported from North and South Carolina, Georgia, Mississippi and Louisiana so now It can be reported from Florida.

as for the two top shrooms in the photo posted by Vertigo, I would not eat those, and personally, as suggested by a few others I would also not recommend anyone eating Amanita, although some people eat it and extoll its virtues on these pages.

And I recently saw a similar post about Amanita pantherina not being in the USA. Well it is reported from several locations across the country, including North Carolina, Alabama,vermont, Texas and New York on the east coast and south and from Washington and Oregon and British Coloumbia on the West Coast.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Anamitas in FL Pics!!! [Re: mjshroomer]
    #2234672 - 01/11/04 10:59 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Hi, mj.

I think you misinterpreted my post.

What Dr. Tulloss is saying is that the red A. muscarias are actually subspecies flavivolvata, not variety muscaria as has commonly been written in various books. Here is a link to a page he has on them. I agree that there are red A. muscarias all over the place - I find thousands every year.

Similarly, here is his page on A. pantherina. What he says is that A. pantherina doesn't seem to occur in North America - we have several very similar species that have been misidentified as A. pantherina. He also states that the same thing seems to have occurred in Asia - they also have several Amanitas that have been misidentified as A. pantherina.

I am not doubting that there are reports of these mushrooms in North America. What I'm saying is that Dr. Tulloss has examined a great deal of this material, and he says that none of it is what the identifiers thought.

I can also say that I have been to a lecture he gave on the genus Amanita - he clearly knows a ton about them. I also have spoken with professionals who have worked with him in a laboratory, and they say that he is very good at identifying them. He is extremely detail oriented and very meticulous. If he says that A. pantherina doesn't occur in North America, I'm going to believe him over almost anybody.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: Anamitas in FL Pics!!! [Re: ToxicMan]
    #2234793 - 01/11/04 01:27 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Hi Toxic, I have puublished literature identifying Amanita pantherina in a total of 22 states inthe United States.

With that many documented reports I would have to question his work.

The identification of these come from Daniel Stuntz, Alexander H. Smith, Orson Miller, Gary Lincoff, David Arora, Paul Stamets, Gary Menser, Joseph Amiratti, Gyorgy Miklos O'lah, Dennis Desjardin, and even Jonathan Ott and Dr. Andrew Weil and of course, R. Gordon Wasson who had specimens identified for him fromt he Northeast USA by Roger Heim, one of the worlds most famous mycologists. And all are qualified mycologists from North America (except for Heim, Watling and Stijve and Wasson) some dead and some still alive.

I would have to rely on their assessment that it does grow in North America

Other mycologists have also identified it in their works as well as from North America.

mj

Invisibleem_bre_O
shroomery'sEmbryoticAsshole
 User Gallery

Loc: In the stages of develope...
    #2235279 - 01/11/04 06:48 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Wow anybody else would have made this find and their rating would go up........

OfflineBluMonkee

Re: Anamitas in FL Pics!!! [Re: em_bre_O]
    #2235387 - 01/11/04 07:47 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

em_bre_O said:
Wow anybody else would have made this find and their rating would go up........

why would that be ????

--------------------

OfflineVertigo
Mycovoire
    #2236405 - 01/12/04 02:36 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

MJ: why would you not trust the top two pics? If it is because of the age or their lack of color? They had more red color a few days prior but they were in direct sunlight and lost most of it before I could return. If your reason was the age factor, then what is your reason behind that?

--------------------

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #2236635 - 01/12/04 08:34 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

WEll to began with, aged mushrooms are yucky and not good for digestion. But then again i never recommend that anyone eat Amantia species at all. I fact I encourage people to avoid any shrooms with white or orange-cinnamon colored gills.

The majority of those who do Amanita get sick.

mj

And when a shroom has gotten tot he stage it is in your images, I would difinitely say avoid them.

mj

On the other hand, the two button-shaped red specimens are ripe and healthy.

mj

OfflineVertigo
Mycovoire
    #2237475 - 01/12/04 03:52 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I can respect that. All in all it was a very exciting find. I'd never seen them before.

--------------------

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #2238576 - 01/13/04 07:37 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I first heard about the A. muscaria growing in Jacksonville by the Shroom Wizard. He said he found them in a cow pasture once.

So that led me to ask around and then i talked to a shroomer from Pensacola who claimed to have found loads of them every year.

That led me to a book from the Audobon Society, a book about all things nature in Florida and they had a little section with the top dozen or-so mushroom species found in Florida, with A. muscaria included.

Also, A. muscaria is shown in the book Common Florida Mushrooms.

----

I woke up at the crack of dawn this morning and went on a nature hike in 45 degree weather. It was damn chilly for me, but envigorating.

I checked a lot of spots with pine trees and to no avail, i still have yet to find that damn shroom yet!~ hehehe

I bet that Gainesville might be as far south as those babies normally could be found.

Keep shroomin,
GG

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder