Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offline20cent
mycocosmos
Hulled Millet?
    #2231620 - 01/09/04 06:09 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quick question, what is wrong with using hulled millet for quart jars? Does the lack of hull render the seed into mush? Just curious b/c I have a ridiculously cheap supply of organic hulled millet.

20cent

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineKichy
Ganja Connoiseur
Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Hulled Millet? [Re: 20cent]
    #2231644 - 01/09/04 06:18 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Just the opposite, the lack of hull makes the seed much more useful. Hulls are non-nutritive and only make things more difficult.

--------------------
YEAH, Canada ROCKS!

OfflineTeon
Chemist/Self-AppointedFAQ Facist
Male

Loc: Here
Re: Hulled Millet? [Re: Kichy]
    #2231704 - 01/09/04 06:36 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I've heard alot of concrete opinions offered on this topic, but I must say that my Hamster has had equal results both ways.

--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, have ever been, or will at any future time will be participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any legal statue; be it local, state, or federal law. All posts are works of fiction, and are intended for entertainment purposes only.

Don't just assume anything I or anyone else says is true. Test it for yourself. See if it's true.
Generate more useful information. The world is running desperately low on it.

Offlineluckytriple6
spun, confused, and needing hugs
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: lost in head... come find...
    #2231797 - 01/09/04 07:22 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Is hulled millet the stuff on the branch?

--------------------
Let me out of this place
I'm outta place
I'm in outer space
I've just vanished without a trace
I'm going to a pretty place now where the flowers grow
I'll be back in an hour or so

[quote]Abuse said:
the dea can go fuck themselves! with the internet, the impossible is possible![/quote]

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #2231827 - 01/09/04 07:35 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

i have only had the worse luck with hulled millet. it turns to mush when simmering and to stone after pc-ing. stick to millet with hulls. dont use the hulled millet.

--------------------
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. ~ Niels Bohr

InvisibleYarry
Old Timer
 User Gallery

Re: Hulled Millet? [Re: automan]
    #2231833 - 01/09/04 07:40 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

why did you simmer it? i thot you just soaked over night then pc'd

--------------------
Grumpy Old Man.

Offline20cent
mycocosmos
Re: Hulled Millet? [Re: Yarry]
    #2231888 - 01/09/04 08:12 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

lol sounds good everyone. My squirrel is going to use the following method:

12 hour soak
rinse drain
12 hour soak
load, pc 90 min 15psi

Squirrels are crazy

20cent

Offlineamyloid
Stranger
    #2232299 - 01/09/04 11:19 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

i dont suppose you can supply me with cheap millet too. maybe just like 20lbs.

--------------------
"A human being is part of a whole, called by us the Universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings, as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circles of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."
-Al Einstein

InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Australia
    #2232332 - 01/09/04 11:47 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

When pressure cooked with the correct water content, the outside of the seed remains relatively dry, whilst the interior tissues are hydrated (as they absorbed water by the process of imbition). This allows for mycelium to breach the hull and colonise. If the millet was hulled, then the exposed carbohydrate tissues of the seeds would pack together as a glue like mass, rendering a jar of this mush impossible to colonise.

In the case of flour, hulled millet is superior because there is no additional non-nutritious seed coat (testa) to limit the 'bridging effect'. The bridging effect is where particles of food adhere to the vermiculite, thereby allowing mycelium to colonise across/through the substrate. This is why BRF is so popular, the idiot-proof job has been done. It's hulled and then ground to a fine powder.

IME, having made ground whole millet flour PF cakes, I found gaps in the cakes where colonisation had not occurred -- simply because the hulls added non-nutritious bloat and limited the bridging effect. I ended up with three contaminated cakes, since colonisation simply lagged on and on. I would have been better served to have used hulled millet to make the flour.

Don't confuse the two -- hulled and whole grain millet and their uses -- in mushrooms. Use the right material for the specific task.

--------------------
Convert Metric and Imperial.

OfflineTeon
Chemist/Self-AppointedFAQ Facist
Male

Loc: Here
Re: Hulled Millet? [Re: Starter]
    #2232443 - 01/10/04 01:09 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

All this talk about soaking... Anno's grain for dummies has never let my Hamster down. Just put the water and dry grain in the jar, cap it with a polyfilter lid, PC 45 min, shake well while hot. No muss, no fuss.

By the way, I don't think my Hamster ever had me thank you Anno.

--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, have ever been, or will at any future time will be participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any legal statue; be it local, state, or federal law. All posts are works of fiction, and are intended for entertainment purposes only.

Don't just assume anything I or anyone else says is true. Test it for yourself. See if it's true.
Generate more useful information. The world is running desperately low on it.

Anonymous

Re: Hulled Millet? [Re: Teon]
    #2232706 - 01/10/04 04:41 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

sounds like starters tek as well......its all I use......heres some rescent pics of malabars

jar on the right is just recovering from a shake

more pics of the same

thx again starter this was all made possible by you :laugh:

InvisibleHanky
wiffle bat.
Male User Gallery
Loc: Great Southern Land.
    #2232732 - 01/10/04 05:07 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

whole millet grains are the way to go for quarts,as whole grains wont cake together.
hulled millet is best used in brf jars.i've been playing around with OHM (organic hulled millet) since a started out(which wasn't long ago)
the last batch of jars i did used 2parts verm,1part water,1part BRF and one part OHM.
here's the results of 4 halfpints of brf/ohm (GT's)first flush was around 35 grams dry.

and here's an casing of florida coast the used 2verm,1water,1brf and 1/2 measure of ohm.first flush was 27grams dry.

--------------------
Coaster is an idiot...
[quote]Coaster said:
but i thnk everything thats pure is white?
[/quote]

Offline20cent
mycocosmos
Re: Hulled Millet? [Re: Hanky]
    #2233550 - 01/10/04 06:30 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

stupaod - what kind of millet did you use in those jars? hulled, or unhulled? And if unhulled, could you PM me a good source?

20c

Anonymous

#2233631 - 01/10/04 07:26 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I used non hulled white millet ......try a local feed shop....I got a 50lb bag for $20 canadian

OfflineKreeprCeepr
Dont mistakelack of talentfor genius!

Loc: Oregon
Re: Hulled Millet? [Re: ]
    #2235277 - 01/11/04 08:47 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Did you soak your OHM? also, i was wondering if i turn my ohm into a flour, do i still have to soak it or do i treat it like BRF? does the hulled millet flour require more water? I dont have a pressure cooker, so would a large pot work as well, just boil for 90 minutes? thanks for the help!

Anonymous

Re: Hulled Millet? [Re: KreeprCeepr]
    #2235314 - 01/11/04 09:08 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I soaked overnight.....do a search for starters method thats exactly what I used....as for using hulled millet as flour....I have no info on that I have never done it

InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Australia
Re: Hulled Millet? [Re: ]
    #2235722 - 01/12/04 12:41 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Stupaod, I've tried something a little different -- motivated by bacterial stall due to grain shake, then the obvious thing is less "shakes" has to be better! I have found that anything more than two shakes and bacterial stall becomes a real pestilence. If there's no shakes, then there's no trouble.

Usual mycelium solution (honey in this case). Glass in jar to shred it.

Pull a big syringe of it...

Closer look...

3 days after inoculation with 20ml to each jar. So the only shake is after grain is PC'ed. Inoculate by a circular action injection with a long point needle, then roll the jar, not shake to "spread" the liquid mycelium as a film around the inside glass wall. NO more shakes. It colonises by itself.

Since no shakes are needed, the millet content to the jars can be increased because you don't need to waste room to allow shake. :smile:

These 1 liter jars are near full -- 350grams weight millet to 225ml water. Less water content than the "shake ratio" of 250ml water to 350ml volume millet -- because the 20ml liquid injection "wets'" it back. 

Result, more colonised millet per jar in return. Pressure cook time remains the same -- 75 minutes at 15psi.

--------------------
Convert Metric and Imperial.

InvisibleHanky
wiffle bat.
Male User Gallery
Loc: Great Southern Land.
    #2235737 - 01/12/04 12:44 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

nice work starter. :smile:

--------------------
Coaster is an idiot...
[quote]Coaster said:
but i thnk everything thats pure is white?
[/quote]

Anonymous

#2235859 - 01/12/04 01:34 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I usually shake at 10% and then again at a lil over 50% I haven't encountered a stall yet but thx for the advice if I ever have a prob I will keep that in mind

Offline20cent
mycocosmos
Re: Hulled Millet? [Re: Hanky]
    #2235871 - 01/12/04 01:41 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

starter, it's funny you post this. the first batches of quart jars i prepared started perfect, and i shook the hell out of them. i noticed the rate of growth slow down. another thing i noted was after each successive shake, the rate of growth would also slow down as well. i took one of those quart jars and shook it every other day (just as an experiment) to see how long it would take to colonize. this was with b+ colonizing in wbs. it has been nearly a month now, and the jars are 65-70 percent (no contams yet). however, the mycelium is starting to piss out a little yellow, and im thinking of tossing these jars. i will definitely use your method for my next batch of jars.

20cent

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation