Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleazur
God of Fuck
Male User Gallery

Loc: Daid
taping holes in monotubs/casing at spawning * 13
    #22315950 - 09/30/15 07:36 PM (8 years, 5 months ago)

:chief: CASING AT SPAWNING::chief:
Medium polyfil during
colonization, pinning, fruiting

Brought to you by THE TRIBE

Polyfil In During Colonization:

For all you naysays about colonizing without taping holes. Mushrooms fruit when they're damn well ready. In a controlled environment, we have some options. But in a monotub, it's up to the mushrooms.

I used to grow GT and I'd put poly in as soon as I spawned. Leave town for a few weeks and come home and harvest. I only started covering holes during colonization because I was growing pe and using a casing layer.

So I thought I'd experiment a little and see if the constant fresh air has any impact on blobbing or pinning times.

Stick around for the ride.

Here are some useful Write ups of how I get down on Dung and Straw. Your method may be different but the idea is casing during spawning while colonizing your substrate with medium polyfil. No tape is used to colonize any of the tubs in this write up.

How Azur gets down on HPOO

How Azur gets down on straw

Azur's Bulk substrate recipe:

Spawn Ratio: 1:1
5.5 Quart Jars Spawn
5.5 Quarts Hpoo/Verm(50% ratio of each)

Azur's Casing Recipe per tub:
1 Quart Coarse Verm
1 Quart Coir

Procedure:

1. Pasteurize your bulk substrate.

2. Prepare your spawn and bulk substrates for spawning.

3. Once your substrate is cooled. It is time to spawn. Setup your tubs, spawn, bulk substrate on a large table for spawning. Turn off the ac 30 minutes prior to doing this work. Take a shower and wear a face mask.

4. I don't use liners, but if you do use a liner. Add a liner to the tub. Then dump your substrate into the tub.

5. Take your colonized spawn and dump that onto the substrate.

6. Break up all of your spawn very evenly.

7. Mix in your spawn with your substrate. Make the surface as even as possible.

8. Apply your 1/4" casing. Then place medium stuffed polyfil in all of your holes.

10. 7-14 days later

Grow Log

Look at this. You will see several examples below of tubs colonized with medium stuffed polyfil in all holes during colonization.

• Two Ape Tubs below. One with polyfil immediately at spawning. The other with  tape at spawning

• PE tub built 10/03
    Oats and hpoo/verm/gyp. Cased with jiffy and poly in holes at spawning

• Hey. So i looked at that tub and another tub a few minutes ago. Here's what i found
    First Pic is a pe tub not cased and holes covered. It will be cased on Thursday and will be put to poly on probably Monday.
    Second pic is the pe tub from the post above that was cased and put to poly at spawning time. Notice how colonized the casing layer is. My guess/hope is that this tub will fruit a good week before the other. This is exciting

• Second pic is the tub that was spawned, cased, and polied at the same time.
    First pic is the other tub just cased.

• It's an area starting to metabolize.
    All my tubs do that with hpoo.
    Here are 3 tubs that are currently pinning that show a good example of it.

• Well not only with hpoo. Just that it happens with hpoo when there's not necessarily any problems.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/10900616

9th paragraph

Colonized poo trays sometimes emit a little honey yellow, to as dark as Tobacco juice colored metabolite type waste on the top of the tray. So long as it colonized nicely & the metabolite waste doesn't turn into a gusher. It's good to go. Been there & done that a few times, especially with big bulk trays that had a strong cow/poo mixture in them. The stuff is commonly called MYC PISS. If it's fully colonized, add a casing cover & go for it. METABOLITES

• Tub 1 was closed holes at spawning and cased a few days ago. Put poly in today.
    Tub 2 was tub spawned, cased, and polied at the same time.

• Annddd..we have lift off. One little pin on the tub that was spawned, cased, and polied at the same time

• The tub that was spawned and holes covered, then cased and then polied has not pinned yet

I'll keep ya posted

• Traditional tub has no pins. Looks to be slightly knotting up.
    Experimental tub is doing well.

• 4 out of 5 tubs have a few tiny pins. Day 7, like clockwork.

• Cased and polied the ape tubs i built a few days ago this morning. Wanted to case at spawning, but didn't have any casing. They were 90ish percent colonized.

• Tub 1 all straw with casing
    Tub 2 50/straw 50/hpoo&verm
    Tubs 3, 4, & 5 hpoo/verm 50/50

All spawned 8 days ago and polied at spawning

• Fuck. I just picked 2 tubs and suddenly realized i was documenting this.
    So...
    Tub 1 all straw with casing layer
    Tub 2 half straw half hpoo/verm no casing
    Tub 3 hpoo/verm no casing

• 4 day old pe tubs.

EAT'S LAB ADAPTATION:

Bulk substrate recipe for 4 tubs:

3 bricks coir
6 quarts verm
1 quart gypsum
2 quarts comppost/manure

Casing Recipe(4 tubs):
1 brick coir
2 quarts Coarse verm
handfull of gypsum

Procedure:

5 quarts oat spawn used per tub. Below is a link to a summary of procedure for bulk subs I use. This is a different recipe though.EZ Bulk Subs 123
Grain was prepped using Cornmeal Plate Liquid Inoculation(CMLI)

cleaned the tub with bleach wipes, put polyfil stuffed medium in each hole. placed a 30 gallon trash bag as the liner.

Dumped my pasteurized sub mix from the turkey tin after it was cooked in the oven. EZ Oven Pasteurization 123

Broke up 5 quarts of oat spawn.

mixed it up nice and even. made sure the top was as level as i could get it by eye

added the casing about 1/4" depth per tub.

This is an image of the tubs colonizing with medium polyfil in all holes.

NO DIAL IN NECESSARY.

The tubs are already dialed in without doing anything.. Medium polyfil was left in all holes for the duration of colonization, pinning, fruiting. At no time was any polyfil adjusted or removed. in the image below you can see the sides of the tub showing ge. The fan was turned on once colonization of the casing was 30-50%(tubs 1-4 below, tubs 5-8 were colonized with the fan on). The light source was turned on. So tubs 1-4 colonized in a dark closet.Tubs 5-8 colonized in diffused natural daylight coming in through the blinds with a fan on.

Round 1:Tubs colonized with no fan during colonization. fan turned on at pinning.

• Tub 1: AA+

[url=https://files.shroomery.org/files/15-46/730255573-AAcasespawn1-12.jpg][/url}

• Tub 2: AA+

• Tub 3: AA+

• Tub 4: AA+

• Tub 5: AA+

• Tub 6:AA+

• Tub 7: AA+

• Tub 8: AA+

• Tub 9: AA+

• Tub 10: AA+

• Tub 11: AA+

• 2nd Flush

• Tub 12: Penis Envy Clone

• Tub 1: Stropharia

Edited by azur (12/02/15 09:00 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePussyFart
Retired Cultivation Extrodinaire
Male

Loc: Orbiting Earth
Trusted Cultivator
Re: taping holes in monotubs [Re: azur]
    #22315962 - 09/30/15 07:39 PM (8 years, 5 months ago)

:popcorn:

Invisiblewowimflabbergasted
supercalifragilistic
 User Gallery

Re: taping holes in monotubs [Re: PussyFart]
    #22316669 - 09/30/15 10:30 PM (8 years, 5 months ago)

:thumbup:

--------------------
TempMail | TempPMs
My Guide | MJ Grows

OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Loc: Van Isle Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: taping holes in monotubs [Re: wowimflabbergasted] * 4
    #22316832 - 09/30/15 11:30 PM (8 years, 5 months ago)

i don't know what your train of thought is on taping holes and co2/fae during colonizing but here's my thought..
We only tape the holes to up the co2 levels, this does a couple things, it slows down how fast the substrate is consumed while colonizing and the reduction of co2 at fruiting is a pinning trigger.

We don't want the substrate to be devoured during colonizing we only want it colonized , we want it devoured once put in to fruiting conditons and this allows much fuller flushes, this is why you only see subs pull away from the edges of the tubs after fruiting because that is when it is really eating it.
We keep a high CO2 level during colonization because the myceliums job in nature is to break down solid matter, releasing its carbon as CO2. in open air, most of the substrate will have been consumed by the time fruiting happens.

Also this means that while your giving your substrate fae you should also see the sub getting the fresh air exchange colonize faster then the one that doesn't and has a higher co2 level, but for the reasons i just stated this is not a good thing.
Anywho thanks for posting and good luck it sounds like a fun experiment

--------------------

It doesn't matter what i think of you...all that matters is clean spawn

I'm tired do me a favor

OfflineDarkhome
•Shaman•N•Training•
Male User Gallery

Loc: United States Flag
Re: taping holes in monotubs [Re: cronicr]
    #22316977 - 10/01/15 12:16 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

:takingnotes:

--------------------
“The shaman is not merely a sick man, or a madman; he is a sick man who has healed himself.”
~Terence McKenna~

"NOTHING"...I post or say is "TRUE"...Any pictures are taken from the Web and any conversation is just research for a fictional character. That being said; He is constantly seeking knowledge and evolving.

Invisibleinsanemike

#22317532 - 10/01/15 06:04 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

cronicr said:
i don't know what your train of thought is on taping holes and co2/fae during colonizing but here's my thought..
We only tape the holes to up the co2 levels, this does a couple things, it slows down how fast the substrate is consumed while colonizing and the reduction of co2 at fruiting is a pinning trigger.

We don't want the substrate to be devoured during colonizing we only want it colonized , we want it devoured once put in to fruiting conditons and this allows much fuller flushes, this is why you only see subs pull away from the edges of the tubs after fruiting because that is when it is really eating it.
We keep a high CO2 level during colonization because the myceliums job in nature is to break down solid matter, releasing its carbon as CO2. in open air, most of the substrate will have been consumed by the time fruiting happens.

Also this means that while your giving your substrate fae you should also see the sub getting the fresh air exchange colonize faster then the one that doesn't and has a higher co2 level, but for the reasons i just stated this is not a good thing.

I understand the pinning trigger part but how much of the substrste does the mycelium actually consume between the time of spawning and the time of harvest?

Invisiblepaperbackwriter
Edward Lear

Re: taping holes in monotubs [Re: PussyFart]
    #22317546 - 10/01/15 06:14 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

PussyFart said:

--------------------
Why should we strive with cynic frown
To knock their fairy castles down?  ~ Eliza Cook

It's rather embarrassing to have given one's entire life to pondering the human predicament and to find that in the end one has little more to say than, 'Try to be a little kinder.' ~Aldous Huxley

Offlinedinosaurcocks
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: taping holes in monotubs [Re: paperbackwriter]
    #22317569 - 10/01/15 06:32 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

nice experiment! ive often wondered how much fae is getting through those tightly packed bottom holes, i was considering a similar experiment except i was going to leave the tape on the bottom holes durring fruiting on one and do the other normal, to see if the bottom poly holes even let enough air in to be worth drilling. i think now though that ill wait for your results before trying it...

another thing i was considering was putting a 3/16 inch thick ring of weatherseal around the top of the tub and just leave the bottom holes tightly packed with poly, i figured if GE had to occur it might as well occur through the slightly filtered poly holes than the unrestricted crack in the lid, i thought the heat+ co2 creation might cause a bit of positive pressure, keeping contam spores out, my 66qt monos seem to have a rather loose fitting lid... but im no mycologist, i may be doomed to failure or poor results but i like to experiment.

Invisibleazur
God of Fuck
Male User Gallery

#22317597 - 10/01/15 06:50 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

cronicr said:

well i can say this much. When i ran gt tubs (or any cube that doesn't get cased) it was standard to do it this way. My yields were 5-6 zips on the first flush.
Then i started growing pe and read on here that people closed their holes during colonization, which made sense to me because of casing. So i went with and never gave it a lot of though. Then i tried a few gt tubs with closed holes during colonization and found my flushes were the same, but took slightly longer.
Never tried it with the pe/ape series and have wanted to for a while. Figured since I'm finally doing it, I'll document it for all to see.
Will be running a few pe tubs this weekend, some with closed holes and some with poly. Some of the poly ones I'll case and some i won't.

--------------------

A cube is NOT a cube.

FALL IN LOVE WITH LC
FOTTSE!!!
ALL NOOBS READ THIS!!!

supercalifragilistic
 User Gallery

#22317652 - 10/01/15 07:18 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

What all varieties have you grown azur? GT and PE?

--------------------
TempMail | TempPMs
My Guide | MJ Grows

InvisiblePastywhyteMDiscord
Say hello to my little friend
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: taping holes in monotubs [Re: wowimflabbergasted]
    #22317670 - 10/01/15 07:26 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Gonna watch this one. . .

Invisibleazur
God of Fuck
Male User Gallery

Re: taping holes in monotubs [Re: wowimflabbergasted]
    #22317698 - 10/01/15 07:38 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

wowimflabbergasted said:
What all varieties have you grown azur? GT and PE?

Of cubes?  Golden teachers, pesa, Argentina, gulf Coast, mexi, aa+, ksss, ape, pe, peu, pe6, and I'm sure a few others i can't remember. I don't like growing a large variety though. Just like to run with one or two.

--------------------

A cube is NOT a cube.

FALL IN LOVE WITH LC
FOTTSE!!!
ALL NOOBS READ THIS!!!

supercalifragilistic
 User Gallery

#22317709 - 10/01/15 07:41 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

:thumbup: That's what I was wondering. I've never seen you grow anything but PE and PEU

--------------------
TempMail | TempPMs
My Guide | MJ Grows

Invisibleazur
God of Fuck
Male User Gallery

Re: taping holes in monotubs [Re: wowimflabbergasted] * 1
    #22317729 - 10/01/15 07:48 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

wowimflabbergasted said:
:thumbup: That's what I was wondering. I've never seen you grow anything but PE and PEU

Yea. You know me. I don't document much. But i have documented a few ape grows

--------------------

A cube is NOT a cube.

FALL IN LOVE WITH LC
FOTTSE!!!
ALL NOOBS READ THIS!!!

supercalifragilistic
 User Gallery

#22317737 - 10/01/15 07:52 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Nice :cool:

--------------------
TempMail | TempPMs
My Guide | MJ Grows

Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #22317744 - 10/01/15 07:54 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

azur said:
Quote:

wowimflabbergasted said:

Beauty :congrats:

I used to want to grow every variety under the sun. But lately I have been wanting to pare it down to just dicks, my rw, and maybe wikidzons and KSSS. The clones already slanted will probably be kept but many are easily obtained if I ever needed to get em again and keeping 30 varieties rolling is a PITA.

Invisibleeatyualive
Eat's You Alive :)
 User Gallery

Loc: In Your Head
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #22317762 - 10/01/15 07:58 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Ive always incubated with tight polyfil since first doing bulk. I feel it works better and colonizes faster than taping holes. Once induced into fruiting top holes are loosened.

In fact most of the forums would do this since the year 2000.
Works good with any cubes. I used to keep the tubs in a draft free closet. Then turn on the ceiling fan when fruiting was induced.

Ive got about 10 years of examples. Here are a few uncased examples.

Ill join in on this when i get back. Ive got a few pe tubs ive incubated both ways. All tubs i incubated with tape or magnets on the holes blobbed out. Im not sure that was the reason though. All had lower spawn ratios.

--------------------
EAT GETS SHIT DONE

:flame::chief:JOIN THE POW WOW:chief::flame:

Edited by eatyualive (10/01/15 08:26 AM)

Invisibleazur
God of Fuck
Male User Gallery

Re: taping holes in monotubs [Re: Pastywhyte]
    #22317765 - 10/01/15 07:59 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Agreed. Best to really just focus on one or two and give them all of your attention

--------------------

A cube is NOT a cube.

FALL IN LOVE WITH LC
FOTTSE!!!
ALL NOOBS READ THIS!!!

Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #22317773 - 10/01/15 08:01 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

azur said:
Agreed. Best to really just focus on one or two and give them all of your attention

Or in my case six :facepalm:

Offlinemidnightmaraude
Stranger
 User Gallery

#22317924 - 10/01/15 08:44 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

azur said:
Quote:

wowimflabbergasted said:

Holy Fawk man!!  I just love the color of those caps.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds